Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #21

When camping, the wife and I (along with my parents who camp beside us most times) are 2 meals a day. Mostly because we do a big breakfast around 7 or 8 in the morning, then we head out on the boat. We'll bring the uncrustable pb&j sandwiches for the kids on the boat, and some snacks like homemade jerky, almonds, cheese, and fruit for the adults and to supplement the kids. Then, it's a normal sized meal (2-3 course) for a late supper (between 6-7).

On the weekends at home, my routine isn't much different than camping.
during the week at home, I'm a 3 meal a day guy, but my lunch is pretty consistent with a sandwich, yogurt, carrots, and maybe an apple or peach.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #22

We have been doing the 2 meals a day when camping for years.

DW likes to sleep in so she gets up at 8 or a bit later. We eat between 9 and 10, then a late lunch/early supper around 4 and that is it.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #23

I go by the rule...when I am hungry I eat. I don't eat a lot when I do....rinse...repeat.

I have lost 7 pounds since covid started since I eat out less and eat healthier at home. I also try to ride my bike 100 miles a week.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #24

My wife and I eat no more than half of what we used to 10 years ago. We still do the same things we've always done and lead active lives. However, we have not lost weight! Why is that? Now here comes all the scientific answers. Oh I should mention we are not way over weight but like most could stand to drop a few. We eat two and a half meals a day at most and less on some days.My doctors answer to everything is, "yup that's just due to you getting older. Some days I just want to smack him.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #25

When I'm working down at our cabin, sometimes I'm up a daybreak if it's gonna be hot and try to get mowing done before noon. I'll forget to eat breakfast, a lot times lunch and finally eat at dinner time. Not the best way to treat your body, but it happens. I'll try to replace some of my lost nutrients in the evening with some Hops and Barley.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
My wife and I eat no more than half of what we used to 10 years ago. We still do the same things we've always done and lead active lives. However, we have not lost weight! Why is that? Now here comes all the scientific answers. Oh I should mention we are not way over weight but like most could stand to drop a few. We eat two and a half meals a day at most and less on some days.My doctors answer to everything is, "yup that's just due to you getting older. Some days I just want to smack him.
Yep...metabolism goes down as you age. My doctor was giving me the third degree about eating less. He knows I am super active so that wasn't the issue...he says you just have to eat less. I finally got the message. I am 61, 5'11 and 185 so he is finally a little happier about my weight now. My goal is to get to 180. Calories in needs to equal calories burned. Pretty simple so it doesn't really matter if you do 1500 calories in 2 meals vs 6.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #27

I’m trying not to eat so much because I have diabetes, but staying home is making it very difficult for me. My wife is scared to travel right now.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #28

Explain this. When I was 20 years old I weighed 170 pounds. Now at 77 I weigh 170 pounds, and I don’t think my weight has varied plus or minus five pounds over the years. I stick to a seafood diet...meaning if I see food I eat it, unless it’s the “ healthy” food for the day. If it says diet, low fat, non this or non that I stay away from it.

Exercise!?? Never have (except for a stint in the Marine Corps) and never will. Took a friends advice once and joined a gym. All I discovered there was the clientele was made up of a lot of arrogant snobs. I never worked a nine to five job, nor did I work at a job that made me sweat. In fact, my two careers required mostly sitting, first in front of a radar scope and then sitting in a cockpit at 45,000 feet.

Best of all I don’t take any prescription medicines. So, my advice to all is forgot diets, etc., and eat whenever, wherever and whatever you want. Sure works for me.

Oh, BTW, avoid street vendor food carts in Shanghai.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #29

X2 on the street food in Shangha and Chengdu as well!!
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #30

Old49ford,

The only way I can control my diabetes, t2, is by fasting. One meal a day generally. Nuts, fruits and vegetables as snacks. I'd rather have the mental sharpness from fasting than having brain fog half the day. And fasting is more energizing and I am a zillion times more productive.

Diabetic counselors wanted me to eat eat eat. It was all wrong for me.

66 now and figured this out at 64.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #31

Number of meals depends on Irish coffee & / or bloody Mary's counting for breakfast??? ... and then there is that barley, malt & hops thingie for midday meal too to be considered ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #32

Camping and stuff I like to do vastly changes my eating habits for the better. I usually eat a small breakfast, lunch and larger dinner. when I’m camping, it varies greatly, But usually healthier. That can be canceled out by in increase in beverages
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:03 PM   #33

As a T2 I do not eat carbs so breakfast is my main meal, bacon, eggs mushrooms and hash browns for the wife. Dinner is what ever we want, lots of salads and small protein for me and what ever the misses wants. She does not follow my eating protocol, want waffles babe. go for it.
Cahriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
As a T2 I do not eat carbs so breakfast is my main meal, bacon, eggs mushrooms and hash browns for the wife. Dinner is what ever we want, lots of salads and small protein for me and what ever the misses wants. She does not follow my eating protocol, want waffles babe. go for it.
T2?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #35

We are very active in retirement but can't eat more than two meals a day without gaining weight. We do a brunch and an early dinner, occasionally a small snack in mid afternoon.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
T2?
Type two diabetic, very sensitive to carbohydrates affect on my blood sugars. I am able to keep my A1c at or below 5.5 by limiting my carb intake. My pancreas cannot process large amounts of carbohydrates and my blood sugars skyrocket if I do not eliminate my intake of bread, potato, pasta, grains, juices etc. The alternative is to take meds to control my blood sugars so I do it naturally instead of listening to the American Diabetic Association.
Cahriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #37

Everyone will have an eating plan that "works" for them. Unless that person has some type of coronary artery disease (CAD), obesity, etc. Then, their eating plan is not working (properly) for them.

Typically, the human body likes to be fed about every 2-3 hours (grazing).

"3 square meals" was invented during the Industrial Era, when factory workers made sure that they ate a good breakfast before heading off to work. They got to stop for a lunch break, then they went home and had supper. No coffee breaks back then.

Early to bed, and back to work the next day...

Theoretically, a common way to get in 5- 6 small meals a day is to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner,... around 400-500 calories each, along with a healthy snack in between each meal.

This helps keep blood sugar levels regulated, and ensure that you don't ever get really hungry.

It also takes a lot of planning and work to eat like this.

There is such a thing as not eating enough. For example, Cyote 61 states that he eats less that before, but doesn't lose weight.

It could be that he is not eating enough. When we don't eat enough calories, the body can go into "survivor mode", or "starvation mode".

Because it likes to be fed every few hours (at which it will maintain a nice smooth metabolism...), when it does not receive food as is required, it will slow down it's metabolism. By doing this, it hangs onto the food that it has, because it's not sure when the next meal is coming. No weight loss, possible weight gain.

All this being said...there are always those individuals that defy the laws of average. Some people can eat whenever and whatever they please, and their cholesterol level will stay low, they won't gain weight, have plenty of energy, etc.

Some folks can smoke and drink every day, too, and live to bee 100.

They are exceptions to the norm, and are quite fortunate (I guess...?).

OK...I'm done babbling...

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
We will have a decent breakfast ,snack around lunch like belvita bars /kind bars etc. Then early dinner around 3ish,We call it linner, Lunch/dinner
Here in the South, we say “supper” for the evening meal. Combining lunch and supper, we call it “lupper ”.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
Here in the South, we say “supper” for the evening meal. Combining lunch and supper, we call it “lupper ”.

If you say "Lupper" you just might be a redneck
Old 07-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #40

[emoji1787]I do the same thing to my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I find as we get older we eat less.
We eat no breakfast (maybe a little fruit), have a decent lunch, but still look forward to a nice dinner.
We do not use any "disposables",even while camping.
Washing dishes is a fun time, I might even pat DWs backside (she's still cute)...LOL
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote