Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #1

UN=civility

I hope you will bear with me for a little bit so I can express my frustration with the state of peoples' uncivil attitudes. Camping is such a great thing to do with my wife and dog, but lately it seems that more and more people don't care to abide by the rules in order to make the camping experience a good one for all. Two examples of this happened this past week in our Federal campground. There were a lot of Spring breakers, which include a lot of younger hoodlums. They wadded up wet toilet paper and threw them against the walls in the bathrooms. The signs on the walking trail said to keep bikes off. That did not apply to them. These same young creeps took the new signs off the newly planted trees and threw them on the ground, or destroyed them, or messed them up somehow. People should park their trucks and boats in designated places and stay off the sides of the roads or the grass. So many did NOT abide by this. I don't blame the Park Attendants for not being able to enforce the rules, but, I DO blame the Park Rangers who for some reason don't give a flying rip anymore about asking people to behave themselves, or writing tickets, or kicking people OUT! As far as I'm concerned the Park Rangers should be fired if they are not willing to do their job. Who needs them? If you haven't figured out by now, my age tells a lot about my thoughts on this subject. I'm 70 and fed up with the stupid and idiotic behavior of SO many people these days. Look at what's happening right now in Miami beach. See what has happened in Panama City, FL for the past week. Law abiding citizens and people who respect themselves and others do not have to have a LAW to help them understand how to treat others. Since the laws don't seem to apply any longer to certain groups of people: the thugs, the juvenile delinquents and general unruly population get away with doing BAD stuff which makes it difficult for you and me who want it to be like it SHOULD be. Here's the problem: I have to accept the fact that it will never be like it used to be; that ship has sailed. So, I can do like some have done, and just quit going camping and ignore it altogether. Or, I can continue to go and do what I'm supposed to do and let the rest of it not bother me. This is exactly what's happened to the Park Attendants now, because they are INFORMERS, not ENFORCERS. So, for anyone who actually read this thing, I don't want to discourage anyone from having a camping outing. But, be aware that many of your neighbors will not be a respectful for you and property as you will be toward them. Happy days and happy life to you all. I'll see you the next time we go.
Jack Lloyd Helms
Lodie is offline   Reply
Old 03-29-2022, 07:12 AM   #2

Humans…….
Old 03-29-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
Canadian Member

Sounds like Spring Break in Florida. A long time ago we decided to not camp on long weekends unless the campground is “radio free” or no alcohol. When our kids were old enough to be on their own, DW and I started camping by ourselves in the shoulder seasons and found nearly empty campgrounds and peace and quiet.

Hopefully your camping experiences aren’t all like that. If so, you’ll need to explore new places to camp.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply
Old 03-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #4

I understand your frustration and have seen many things that bother people like us.
So we tend to stay away from campgrounds near areas with large events that attract the misfits of the world. We only go in these areas before and after the events.
But we have run into some campgrounds where the older misfits go wild and disrespect the rules on weekends. I just sit in my chair shaking my head as I drink an adult beverage.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

The American public has signed up for this ride

There has always been punk behavior, and for a long time adults hired to help control it (ie, police, rangers). The public, media, and politicians have vilified LEOs (law enforcement officers) for years now. They have cut budgets, called for defunding, put up lawn signs everywhere, constantly reminding LEOs how much they are hated and unwanted.

Every action taken, no matter how minor, is an opportunity for these men and women to lose their houses, their freedom, and their source of income, just for doing their jobs. Can you really blame them for the chilling effect this has had on productivity? I knew this would happen. Reap what you sow America. Many PD's can't even attract new candidates to fill increasing numbers of vacancies, such a thorough job has been done of smearing ALL LEOs. Even juvenile delinquency enforcement is hazardous. If not through direct violence, then through the breeder threatening to sue everyone who 'harassed' their spawn.
NJKris is offline   Reply
Old 03-29-2022, 09:50 AM   #6

Have to say more recently I've seen the right balance from rangers at a few Pennsylvania state parks. In the old days most were the park "nazis" where any technical violation was pursued. Then in the later 90's they seemed to turn into the park nannies, where they were just informers. Lately I've noticed they will enforce serious violations but are tolerant of minor things.

The closer the parks are to large population centers, the less tolerant they are.
Which is understandable, watching the shenanigans of the day visitors.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Team

As with the multiple previous threads on similar subject matter has shown, it's best for forum harmony to put this to rest sooner rather than later.

Thread closed.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply
Closed Thread