Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I hope you have someone holding the ladder !!!
I am 73,,, and am pushing 300#,,, + some of the meds I take affect my balance,,, So I hire a Grandson every spring to clean the roof,,,MH is stored inside in the winter !!!

And be safe !!!
Ladder is built in. I just shimmy up it. Here in 3 weeks I'll be climbing LOTS of ladders way higher than that, every day for weeks.

But I also 'hire' a grandson when I can. Trouble is, he's in South Carolina!

No one should do this if they believe they can't. But if you're mobile, you should be able to master it. I hate paying for something I can do myself.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #42

A few added thoughts...
  1. I think we feel uncomfortable on RV roofs is because they are not flat. A curved surface, especially one that slopes toward the edge, does a number on your spatial awareness. It would be great if someone could invent a way to put temporary railings on RV roofs. Perhaps the manufacturers could put holes on the edges where a pole could be inserted and then create a "fence" on the roof.
  2. The RV doesn't feel like solid ground. The surface is not as solid as ground since it is plywood separated by trusses. So the surface varies depending on where you step.
  3. The RV itself moves slightly as you move, creating this weird sensation and you respond by micro-movements in your muscles and joints that gives you that "feeling" that you aren't stable.
  4. As we age, our core strength is not what it used to be, so we aren't able to steady ourselves like when we were young.

Some final notes...
  • Depending on the fabric used to cover the roof, its possible it can twist underfoot and damage the material. So important for you to wear the right shoes and not "twist" the ball of your foot as you walk to minimize potential damage to the membrane.
  • The suggestion to put out the slides is an excellent one so that IF you fall, you have at least some cushion.
  • Having a spotter on the ground is just common sense. Good to have someone who can call for help, throw things up to you, and be with you should the worst happen.
  • Finally, know yourself. Sometimes its a mental game, and other times it IS a physical one. Accept your aging and know your limits. Everyone is different and there is no shame in aging. In fact, I consider it an honor to have made it this far in life without major damage. I didn't get this far by being stupid! What is more important, a clean roof or your life?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhammer View Post
I am a contractor and catastrophic insurance adjuster. 50% of injuries from any kind of roof involves mounting and dismounting the ladder.

I used a telescoping ladder a few days ago to access my roof, and it spooked me. It moved too easily from side to side. My normal ladder is a gorilla with a wide base. One thing we do as adjusters is have a bungee that we attach to gutters to prevent side to side movement or wind tipping the ladder.
Shortened the quote to prevent a long post. I would like to add that you should look closely at what the base of the ladder is on to prevent the ladder from slipping. Not related to RV's but we had hail damage our house skylights. I placed my ladder on our deck because the height is shorter. I proceeded up to the roof and the ladder slid out from underneath me when I was almost to the gutter. Long story short, there was asphalt debris on the deck and it caused the feet of the ladder to slide.

Bumbles don't bounce and neither did I. Please be very careful on any type of ladder.

Happy camping,

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #44

As an ex arborist (tree trimmer dude) I have several recommendations for the faint
of heart...first if you are in any way incompetent to be on the roof or a ladder don't be there, be it either mentally (which includes under the effects of medicine either prescribed or otherwise) or physically..just hire someone who is competent...it is better than being dead or disabled (that pain thing really lives up to its name)..Also, just to reinforce the dangers, first even the 'pros' mess up and die sometimes, and as a amateur you are much more likely to do so than a 'pro'...Next take your time, use a rope to lift things to the roof, have a 'helper' hold the ladder, fill the bucket on the end of the rope, lend a hand on an ankle/leg/butt etc. when climbing the ladder and when on the roof... you really can't be TOO careful, but you can easily not be careful enough...Just to give you an example of how dangerous it is .. a 12 foot free fall while wearing a harness with a rope attached (not even hitting the ground) is consider 100% fatal. Pretty much ever trailer roof is higher than that and you end up hitting the ground.....other than that, I say go for it..I go on my trailer roof a couple times a year to check/repair the caulking and to clean it etc.
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #45
Chief tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by changing it up a bit View Post
I use a "real ladder" to gain access to the roof. I am not a fan of the ladder they put on the rig, and it is a lot more comfortable getting on and off the roof. Like said by others take your time.
/\ this. 62 this year. Worked on big airplanes my whole life so walking at heighth on curved surfaces doesn't bother me. 10 years from now, maybe it will. I too take my time, walk down the middle, hands and knees if I am at the edge and use a 10" A frame ladder secured to the RV ladder to get on and off the roof. I agree the getting on and off is the uncomfortable part. Always maintain 3 points of contact when climbing.
I trust my service people are doing what they said they did up there, but I go up and verify and had them go back and do a better job of dicor "touch up"' last year at the warranty forever annual. I guess the Tech isn't used to people checking?

Anyway, sorry for oversharing. Everyone is different as far as what feels unsafe. If it feels unsafe to you, don't do it.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #46
jvg

on roof

You don't want on roof don't go. If you are a good sam member the Campers World have good maintenance deals for members or use a private mobile RV service. They are cheaper than dealers. Have the roof cleaned, conditioned. seals checked and whatever else is suggested. Gonna cost more but it needs doing keeps roof in top shape and you don't need the stress.
Jim
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #47
usnrete8

I'm 77 and I quit fighting it a few years ago when I realized my sense of balance and security on the roof would never again be that of a 30 yr old youngster. After tracking bloody knee prints & leaving pieces of skin all over the roof I also now wear a good pair of non-slip soft knee-pads and snug-fitting non-slip gloves while on the roof, and take my time. And also use the money saved by selling my Harley to hire others to take care of the big jobs.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #48
jvg

I think most of us don't like it up there. Especially the 5th wheels. I don't like it at the edges especially when cleaning and conditioning too slippery. Got a mop and replaced pole with an extra long one. Not even near the edges LOL.
Jim
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #49

I make sure the levelers are down to reduce sway. Soft sole shoes and move slowly and carefully as others have noted is essential for safety. I wash and treat my roof 4 times a year so I use caution as it only takes one time.
anolefan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #50

I HATE going up there.
We got a very good articulating ladder and two long poles with brushes on the end. Spray with hose, scrub with soap, rinse with hose.
Or get spry children to go up there . . ..
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof