Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #1

Under belly full of water

We have a 2018 FR Cherokee Ltd TT which we bought 3/2019 and was told it was brand new and never used. While getting ready to go camping I found the underbelly drooping and containing water. The amount of condensation on the underbelly was everywhere. All the pipes underneath are extremely rusted. There is NO leak anywhere on the inside of my camper. I called my dealer to take it in. I am so upset and fear of using with all the wiring running underneath also. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks
It was winterized and no water in any tanks, lines etc.
GA.RVGAL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

Sounds like a flood camper to me. My dad's got flooded but water didnt make it to the inside. Just filled the underbelly like you describe.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

When I bought my trailer, the water fill pipe had a very poor clamp so it leaked a lot after you put in water. I had a lot of water in the underbelly. I just added a new clamp and all was well after that. Could be very simple and take some detective work.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

I wanted to accurately measure my gray water holding tank capacity. I filled the tank with a hose via the shower drain. In the process I discovered a leak in the drain fitting to the tank which filled the underbelly.
I wasn't happy but glad I found the problem while not on the road somewhere. It was dealer repaired under warranty.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

Pipes are not an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA.RVGAL55 View Post
We have a 2018 FR Cherokee Ltd TT which we bought 3/2019 and was told it was brand new and never used. While getting ready to go camping I found the underbelly drooping and containing water. The amount of condensation on the underbelly was everywhere. All the pipes underneath are extremely rusted. There is NO leak anywhere on the inside of my camper. I called my dealer to take it in. I am so upset and fear of using with all the wiring running underneath also. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks
The pipes won't cause a problem. The only pipe underneath that would rust is one that carries propane from the tanks to the appliances. It's black unplated pipe--galvanized pipe cannot be used for gas. It's just rust on the surface of a thick pipe. You could ask the dealer to clean and paint it if you like.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

I'm guessing you have a plastic underbelly covering the frame? What about the insulation under the floor? Is it dry? Water runs downhill so unless you see where it came in at underbelly level, it's coming in from above someplace and working though the insulation. I'm in the process this weekend of replacing some wet insulation from a bad corner seal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underside.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	230877  
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

Not sure if this is your circumstance or not but thought I'd share a recent experience. Just got back from an eight day outing where we had full hookups. Wife was in doing dishes when I was outside where I noticed water running out of a vent opening on our underbelly. I ran inside and checked under the island where her sink is but found no water anywhere there. When back outside I noticed the water had suds where it was hitting the ground so I knew it was the galley plumbing. Once I started emptying the galley tank the leaking stopped. Have not pulled the underbelly since getting home yesterday but I assume it was full enough that the water and suds were coming out an over flow pipe. At least I hope it was from an over flow, do not know if a galley tank has such a thing.
If not for the vent being there I would guess the water would have pooled on top of the underbelly.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #8

If its as rusted as you wrote the water must have been in there for some time.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
This has happened on my 5er a few times when I pull it out to go on trips. Water comes out when the rig tilts as I pull it.

I am assuming it is coming from rain, because when in storage, there is nothing else it could be!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
This has happened on my 5er a few times when I pull it out to go on trips. Water comes out when the rig tilts as I pull it.

I am assuming it is coming from rain, because when in storage, there is nothing else it could be!
There would be absolutely no way that water could get under my rig in the rain unless there is a leak in the roof and it ran down through the wall. If I had your issue, I would be figuring out what is causing it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #11

No overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
Not sure if this is your circumstance or not but thought I'd share a recent experience. Just got back from an eight day outing where we had full hookups. Wife was in doing dishes when I was outside where I noticed water running out of a vent opening on our underbelly. I ran inside and checked under the island where her sink is but found no water anywhere there. When back outside I noticed the water had suds where it was hitting the ground so I knew it was the galley plumbing. Once I started emptying the galley tank the leaking stopped. Have not pulled the underbelly since getting home yesterday but I assume it was full enough that the water and suds were coming out an over flow pipe. At least I hope it was from an over flow, do not know if a galley tank has such a thing.
If not for the vent being there I would guess the water would have pooled on top of the underbelly.
I don't believe I've ever heard of an overflow on a wastewater tank. A full gray water tank appears as water in the shower, the lowest open point. A full black water tank appears as water that doesn't drain from the toilet. I would guess that a full galley tank would appear as a sink that doesn't drain.

If I were you, I'd go looking for a leak in plumbing running to that tank.

Before anyone suggests it, I've ruled out an air admittance valve since (a) that should not let water out--it's a one-way check valve, and (b) if it were stuck open, there would be a bad smell.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

Thanks Larry,
I was really hoping for an over flow on the galley tank. Hate the thought of removing even just a portion of the underbelly. If more responses pop up totally ruling out the over flow I'll have to suck it up and get under the rig. Fingers crossed.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #13

I had the same problem, a rv tech told me the vent pipe on top of tank going to roof could be loose. Mine happened when grey tank was not emptied in time it was backing up in sink ...then I went outside to drain..saw the leak it stopped when I drained the tank.
handymanj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #14

I had water in the underbelly. After examination one of the plastic pex fittings had cracked and was leaking. Cut it out and put in a sharkbite fitting. Drilled a couple of small holes in belly to drain.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #15

Same issue happened to our 2017 Surveyor TT when first used. Purchased slightly-used in January when the temps were below freezing. In early March when it warmed up enough I went to hook it up for our trip to AZ and when I lowered the front to attach to the truck water poured out like a waterfall from the underbelly. There was no water in the fresh water tank at the time. When we traveled south and had a chance to fill the tank I discovered the drain tap where it came out of the bottom of the freshwater tank was loose enough to spin and had moisture around it. It had been somewhat sealed with a black foam around it. After tightening by hand, it stopped leaking. My guess is that the leak had filled the lower underbelly area around the freshwater tank and when it thawed in March the forward tilt to hook-up my truck allowed all the water to pour out.
After our trip I opened the underbelly and had a good look at things and could not find any other obvious signs or indicator of where the water came from. I have not had the same issue since. That was a head-scratcher for sure. Just my two cents worth.
This was not the only water/plumbing/electrical/oven/ and quality control issue that we came across during our first trip. You will need to be prepared to trouble-shoot and for certain this forum has been a great source of information and tips for many owners (no matter which make or model of RV). Many THANKS to all of you.
RVGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #16

we had the same problem but our bars that kept the tanks up broke and the holding tanks droped and broke at the fittings
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #17

Galvanized gas pipe is a little better but cost more.

If the trailer is under warranty take it back. If it was flooded you will see a fair amount of dirty or muddy water there. If it’s clean water you have a leak and will have to find it. The under belly is easy to slide back or remove but takes some doing hence if under warranty take it back. After repairs are made you can drill a couple of 3/8 to 1/2 inch holes in the underbelly at the low point then if another leak occurs you will know it.
Quote:
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #18

Thank you .

The camper is stored at our house, we had a cover on it through the winter and just removed it getting ready to go on the road. It is under warranty thank goodness, but when I called the first response was leaks are not covered. I told them it's not a leak inside. I have crawled in and out of every corner. Got on top and checked all the seals and can't find nothing loose. The water was looking muddy when it came out and not clear. We have filled, drained all tanks, sinks, toilet and nothing. I really appreciate all the input from everyone. Y'all are so helpful. Thank you.
GA.RVGAL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

A loose vent stack at the top of the holding tank could be the cause of a leak into the underbelly. The only place the stacks are attached is at the top of the tank. If the glue that holds the stack gives way then the stack will usually drop inside the tank. The only other supports for stacks are just basic loops to prevent them from banging or rubbing inside the wall where it goes to the roof. They should not be anchored at the roof because the movement of going down the road can cause the stack to pull free from the holding tank.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #20
SAK

Water In Underbelly

I am very new at this-camping and using this forum. We have a 2018 FR Cherokee Grey Wolf MK23.
On about our third trip with it late last summer I noticed water dripping from the front underbelly of the camper (would be under the queen bed area forward of the bathroom area) and the black material, essentially the "house wrap" was hanging down several inches.
Upon arriving home the next day I started to try to determine where this water was coming from. Bottom Line- the shower drain tailpiece had come apart and several showers worth of water had drained into the forward bottom area of the camper. I discovered this by removing the inspection panel on the lower front of the plastic shower insert in the camper.
May want to check this out for your situation.
SAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water