Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 05:59 PM   #1

Unexpected aspect of the decision to go full-time

There haven't been many aspects of my own plan to go full-time that have really surprised me. A lot of research and other similar life adventures over the last 50 years really prepared me for the technical realities of this lifestyle. And even the reactions of people I know (for the most part) haven't surprised me. "What do you mean you're moving out of your house?" "Where are you moving to?" "Oh you'll get tired of that soon enough and be back." I don't go around talking overly much about my plans aside from those that need to know or have seemed to have genuine interest in order to avoid conversations exactly like those. But among those I HAVE talked to about it (and taken great pains to explain that this isn't just 'going on a long vacation'), that notion seems to be unkillable. Days away from jump-off day and I continue to get comments about 'better pack this or that' and they never seem to understand that everything I need is *already* coming with me and stowed on-board. For the same reasons I moved into the rig the day after I picked it up 6 months ago, started outfitting/selecting what was to come with and what was to be gotten rid of. No matter what I say to them, they simply cannot understand that I have zero intention of coming back and there won't be anything here to be 'left behind'. Apologies if this comes off as a rant, I suppose it is. I guess I'll just never understand why so many people refuse to simply listen when you try and explain something to them. It makes me sad, but it also fuels my desire to get in the cab in a few more days and leave them all in my rearview.
JAndre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:36 PM   #2

I think what you are doing is difficult for most people to comprehend. After all, if one hasn't actually done what you are going to do, it's hard to imagine such a lifestyle.

I also think that ( and this is just my opinion) most of us are attached to the things we have accumulated in life and find it hard that one could live without all of those things.

Speaking for myself, I like to perform maintenance on my cars, groom the grounds and keep the house in order. Garage time is precious time. No garage would be a non starter.

I guess one would learn how to fill their day with different tasks, desires and new opportunities.

Certainly intriguing and exciting. I wish you well in your new life.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:37 PM   #3

My take is you are doing something that few actually do. I think your friends and family are being protective of you. It is not something they would do so they do not understand...... have they even ever camped?

What you are doing is fine, it is just not for everyone. We have fiends that really do not understand why we camp and don't stay in motels and eat at restaurants. Too much work its not for them.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:48 PM   #4

Those are the two nicest comments I've gotten about my plans from anyone, and they came from two complete strangers (thank you both for the thoughts). Lol. I guess that says a lot about the people I actually know.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndre View Post
. For the same reasons I moved into the rig the day after I picked it up 6 months ago, started outfitting/selecting what was to come with and what was to be gotten rid of. .
Moving in and getting the rig outfitted is a very smart move. Are you going to travel or permanently locate in an rv park?

Your friends are worried about you and obviously they are going to miss you.

What you are doing is not unusual. It's just unusual to them and most people are curious about people who choose the rv lifestyle. Perhaps if you told them that you're already living in it might help them understand. You've just moved into a mobile apartment.

Safe travels!
Old 06-18-2024, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Are you going to travel or permanently locate in an rv park?
I'll be traveling at a relaxed pace and exploring. I'm still working full time (digital nomad) for the next several years at least. Longer term I'll be looking for a spot out in the Western hinterlands to put an RV pad and maybe a cabin on, but thats the whole point of this for me... simply to see where the trail leads.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:42 AM   #7

You’re getting ready to live the dream, and in a smart way. Don’t let them get you down.
chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:04 AM   #8
Defender of America

My experience isn't exactly the same but (in my mind) similar.

I was the son of an active duty Air Force member (during the Korean and Vietnam wars) and joined the Air Force myself after college. Moving to new locations was a constant in my life. I was always the "new kid in town". After I retired, the hardest thing I did was stay in one place for the next 30 years (and I'm still there now).

The morale of my story is - It's your dream, not everyone else's. They don't have to understand why or how you choose to live your life. Hopefully no one is trying to make it harder for you.

Good luck on your journey. May it be exactly what you're looking for.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
the hardest thing I did was stay in one place for the next 30 years
Not so dissimilar perhaps. Ive also worked and lived many places over the years, including 3.5 years on a small sailboat on the west coast. I came 'back' here nearly 20 years ago now for various reasons, most of them well-intentioned but almost certainly the wrong reasons for me. A few years back I finally admitted that to myself and began taking steps to correct it. Being in one place too long makes me itch, lol. So now Im for the trail again, where I have always felt more 'at home' than anywhere else. I appreciate everyones well-wishes here. Even those of you who are not full-timing. Says a lot about this crowd.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:35 AM   #10

Happy trails my unknown friend. RV lifestyle is amazing but I just can't jump that full time hurdle yet. If I was single I wouldn't give it a second thought. I envy your decision. Travel safe, there is some amazing things to see and do out there.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote