RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
That's incredibly thoughtless and inconsiderate for anyone (regardless of what they happen to be driving) to take associate spaces.

Your guess as to why people do not park across the street is likely correct, but I'm wondering -- since that lot is for the old store, is it obvious that it's OK to park there? Is the Walmart sign still up, or is it designated as additional parking in some way?

Are the semis you're referring to Walmart trucks, or all semis, regardless of the company?

It's interesting that in most cases it's *corporate* that has the signs posted. Since you worked there, you would know. There are all sorts of claims as to where they come from -- the individual store; the local jurisdiction (citing local gov't ordinance); or the owner of the lot (when it is leased by Walmart).
Itís all semiís regardless of company and Wmrt drivers are just as bad as the others. The empty lot is just that. No signs, no restrictions, Wmrt signs removed from the building and well lit, they just want to be able to walk the few feet to the front door. There are also 3 designated spots for Wmrt drivers to park overnight but they never park there. Weíve called dispatch and had them chewed out but they donít care cause they know Wmrt isnít going to do anything to them. With all the freight Wmrt ships their drivers are fairly bullet proof.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #182
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Plus, I don't believe that all Walmart semis are driven by Walmart employees, either.

A friend of mine used to be a truck driver for a couple different large trucking companies and he hauled a few Walmart trailers over the years.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #183
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycat358 View Post
Weíve called dispatch and had them chewed out but they donít care cause they know Wmrt isnít going to do anything to them. With all the freight Wmrt ships their drivers are fairly bullet proof.

I can almost guarantee dispatch laughed their butts off as soon as they hung up. They donít mess with us.

Years camping....55
Old 08-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #184

Wal mart signs

The same sign was posted at a wal mart in Lancaster Ohio a few months ago. No more overnight rv parking. I was surprised to see it and disappointed.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #185

My son drives for Walmart and where the signs are posted at he can not park overnight. Other companies pull Walmart trailers. If I saw a Walmart truck and trailer parked in a parking lot that had the signs posted I would take the truck number and call the home office in Bentonville Arkansas.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #186
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
My son drives for Walmart and where the signs are posted at he can not park overnight. Other companies pull Walmart trailers. If I saw a Walmart truck and trailer parked in a parking lot that had the signs posted I would take the truck number and call the home office in Bentonville Arkansas.
Personally, I don't think it is any of my business...

And if they aren't hurting anybody...again...none of my business.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #187

I guess people have different ways of viewing the Walmart parking situation...My plan when I leave to go the the FROG Rally in Florida in September is leave the Charlotte area after I'm done working at 5PM and drive to a campground that I already have researched that is about 200 miles away to spend the night yep I'm going to pay about $40 for the night...Get up and drive the remaining 285 miles.

I'm sure other's plan would be to just drive and look for a Walmart or anywhere else that maybe CONVENIENT for them because it's getting late and they are dead tired and now they aren't happy because that option is being taken away from them and now they have to do a better job of planning their travels...

Geez even if Walmart charged $10 bucks a night to park for the night people would still be complaining and would still try and find a place that was free Reminds me of when Cabela's started removing some of their dump stations or charging $5 to use them if I remember correctly someone even called for a boycott at the time.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #188

Seems to me after reading through this it seems many believe it is a right to be allowed to camp overnight in the parking lot of a large retail store. to which it seems to me, that it is not the retail store being unfriendly, but many in the RV community.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #189
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Personally, I don't think it is any of my business...

And if they aren't hurting anybody...again...none of my business.
X2. I've got better things to do than becoming the Walmart Parking Police.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #190
...far N Georgia!

agreed

while this discussion has a lot of legs, and even some 'rabbits' here and there, the overall question is about overnighting at a brand store's large parking lot - and the answer is simple - it's up to the owner of the lot...

some of us are going to be very concerned about whether that's o.k. for us, and will probably steer clear, and would never consider doing it

some of us will see the signs and won't even consider asking if it's o.k. anyway

some of us are going to have no issues with it if management says we can

some of us are going to have enough experience that asking management is not required

and there will always be situations where some take advantage of any situation - that will probably never change

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
regardless, it's up to the owner to decide what they allow, and it's not up to us to judge those who take them up on it, make use of it, and enjoy the periodic privilege

the idea that 'money' is the factor is also off base, as most of us who shop at these stores and travel a lot completely understand that that is not the driving factor - it's convenience.
If the big box stores decided to all disallow this starting today, none of us could complain - it's a simple privilege, and we appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #191
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
agreed

while this discussion has a lot of legs, and even some 'rabbits' here and there, the overall question is about overnighting at a brand store's large parking lot - and the answer is simple - it's up to the owner of the lot...

some of us are going to be very concerned about whether that's o.k. for us, and will probably steer clear, and would never consider doing it

some of us will see the signs and won't even consider asking if it's o.k. anyway

some of us are going to have enough experience that asking management is not required

and there will always be situations where some take advantage of any situation - that will probably never change

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
regardless, it's up to the owner to decide what they allow, and it's not up to us to judge those who take them up on it, make use of it, and enjoy the periodic privilege

the idea that 'money' is the factor is also off base, as most of us who shop at these stores and travel a lot completely understand that that is not the driving factor - it's convenience.
If the big box stores decided to all disallow this starting today, none of us could complain - it's a simple privilege, and we appreciate it.
Well said!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #192
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2. I've got better things to do than becoming the Walmart Parking Police.

Oh no, first we had the Weight Police,
now Lordy Lordy we have the......................WPP

(Wal-Mart Parking Police)

Don't know whether to or

Have a great weekend all!

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

Old 08-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #193
(Dry Huunday)

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
agreed

Great post formerFR! That sums it up very well.

The owner of the lot has the right to decide how it is used. It should go without saying that they have absolutely no obligation to allow RV parking.

Where stores/lot owners do decide to allow overnight RV parking, people should not be criticized for accepting the offer. Different strokes.

I will say that -- for DW and I at least -- generally speaking, money can be a factor -- but it is only one of many:

* How long do we plan to stop? 8 hours? A day? More?

* Do we need shore power (generally no, unless it is uncomfortably hot and/or humid).

* Do we need water and/or a dump station?

* Is the free overnight parking in a location that is (or might be) noisy?

* What time is it? IOW, will we be bothering people by entering a CG after a certain hour?

* How much does the park cost? $15? $25? $50? More?

If we do not need hookups, we're only stopping for the night, and there is a free place to park that is quiet, we'll usually go for that. It doesn't make sense (to us) to pay $30-$40+ for a campsite in a park under those circumstances.

Otherwise we'll look for a nice park.

Sometimes there are simply no parks -- or BLM/NFS land -- in the area.

It seems to be common for some people to feel that others should emulate them. That if only everyone else would come to their senses and follow their example the world would be a better place. In some cases that may be true. In this case however, we are just talking about the various ways people choose to travel and camp with their RV. Whether a person insists on staying in a KOA every night, or avoids campgrounds like the plague, does not affect anyone else one way or the other.

Some people plan every trip, down to every hour of every day -- where they will eat, where they will get fuel, and where they will stay. Others prefer to wing it. Still others are somewhere between those 2 extremes.

It's all good. There's no reason for any criticism.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #195
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Great post formerFR! That sums it up very well.

The owner of the lot has the right to decide how it is used. It should go without saying that they have absolutely no obligation to allow RV parking.

Where stores/lot owners do decide to allow overnight RV parking, people should not be criticized for accepting the offer. Different strokes.

I will say that -- for DW and I at least -- generally speaking, money can be a factor -- but it is only one of many:

* How long do we plan to stop? 8 hours? A day? More?

* Do we need shore power (generally no, unless it is uncomfortably hot and/or humid).

* Do we need water and/or a dump station?

* Is the free overnight parking in a location that is (or might be) noisy?

* What time is it? IOW, will we be bothering people by entering a CG after a certain hour?

* How much does the park cost? $15? $25? $50? More?

If we do not need hookups, we're only stopping for the night, and there is a free place to park that is quiet, we'll usually go for that. It doesn't make sense (to us) to pay $30-$40+ for a campsite in a park under those circumstances.

Otherwise we'll look for a nice park.

Sometimes there are simply no parks -- or BLM/NFS land -- in the area.

It seems to be common for some people to feel that others should emulate them. That if only everyone else would come to their senses and follow their example the world would be a better place. In some cases that may be true. In this case however, we are just talking about the various ways people choose to travel and camp with their RV. Whether a person insists on staying in a KOA every night, or avoids campgrounds like the plague, does not affect anyone else one way or the other.

Some people plan every trip, down to every hour of every day -- where they will eat, where they will get fuel, and where they will stay. Others prefer to wing it. Still others are somewhere between those 2 extremes.

It's all good. There's no reason for any criticism.

A great post and we both agree with all you've said.
We accept the stop over at Wal-Mart as a privilege they are extending to us and we've never abused it. always spend cash there and at the Ottawa location we get the TV serviced once a year when heading east in early April.

Geoff

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

Old 08-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #196

Camden, Tennessee. Same thing.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #197

Just came across this today https://www.freightwaves.com/news/wa...illinois-store
Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #199

If I owned a campground I would be on the city council to bane overnight parking at any business in town. Free rv parking is just taking business away from commercial campgrounds. I can see Cracker Barrel to allow RVís to allow a rv to stop in for a meal but not spend the night
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #200
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If I owned a campground I would be on the city council to bane overnight parking at any business in town. Free rv parking is just taking business away from commercial campgrounds. I can see Cracker Barrel to allow RVís to allow a rv to stop in for a meal but not spend the night
Typical politician. Conflict of Interest and all.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Closed Thread