Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If I owned a campground I would be on the city council to bane overnight parking at any business in town. Free rv parking is just taking business away from commercial campgrounds. I can see Cracker Barrel to allow RV’s to allow a rv to stop in for a meal but not spend the night
Hotels need to band together to get rid of campgrounds. Movie theaters want to ban all free TV. The list is endless
Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #202
Insert witty title here

There's a push out in California to ban businesses from giving their employees free lunch to help out local restaurants.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #203
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Next it will be plastic grocery bags...

Oh wait!

Anyone remember when the same thing happened with paper grocery bags?

Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #204

Quote:
If I owned a campground I would be on the city council to bane overnight parking at any business in town. Free rv parking is just taking business away from commercial campgrounds. I can see Cracker Barrel to allow RV’s to allow a rv to stop in for a meal but not spend the night

I would be inclined to just keep truckin' down the road to the next town. I really don't want to pay a full day's fare for camping when I just want to pull off the road for a few hours to get a few winks of sleep.

Now, if I wanted to set up and stay for a day or 2, that's a totally different story...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I would be inclined to just keep truckin' down the road to the next town. I really don't want to pay a full day's fare for camping when I just want to pull off the road for a few hours to get a few winks of sleep.

Now, if I wanted to set up and stay for a day or 2, that's a totally different story...
I agree.

As emm-dee posted above:

"Hotels need to band together to get rid of campgrounds. Movie theaters want to ban all free TV. The list is endless."

As much as possible, the gov't should leave individuals and businesses alone to do as they please (as long as they are not infringing on the rights of others).

I'm sure some RV campground/resort owners are not exactly thrilled that some businesses allow overnight parking -- but that is their right. They have a financial incentive to attract RVers just as the campground owners do.

The fact is that many of the people who are parking for a few hours at Cracker Barrel, Home Depot, etc, would never spend $35-$55+ just to park overnight in a campground anyway.

I'm sure very few people on this forum would be happy if their local gov't officials suddenly decided that they could no longer allow friends and family members to park overnight on their property. I imagine most business owners feel the same way. As long as what is taking place on their property is not harming anyone, it should be allowed -- whether it's a car show; a small fair; a flea market; or overnight RV parking.

I imagine there are legitimate reasons to restrict overnight parking -- crime, prostitution, drug use -- but "because the local campground owner doesn't like it" is not one of them.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #206

The campgrounds are charging to much, that;s the problem!!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #207

Quote:
On what grounds?
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 08-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #208

Any campground that you have to pay for your stay, they charge a way to much!!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #209
Who Dares, Wins

I'd gladly camp at a cg for the night if they charged 10$ or so for just the spot for the night with electric only, maybe water. Probably do not need sewer, but would pay $5 to use it if I did.

Sorry, not paying $50 to 80 to park for 6 or 8 hours while I sleep, not using the amenities or other stuff they have.

Until then I'll use what I come across whether a rest stop or truck stop. Gonna be doing it on the way home from the rally.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #210

Even $20. a night would be great.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #211
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritiz View Post
And you know this how

Not sure if you realize this...

But RV parks need to charge you money to stay in business.

I paid over $100 for one night in the crappiest motel room I've ever seen in Shamrock, Texas a couple of weeks ago on my way home from a non-RV'ing trip.

I would have gladly spent $50 for an RV park near there had I been traveling with my RV.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #212
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
JohnD10, or plastic drinking straws?
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #213
D W

Quote:
The campgrounds are charging to much, that;s the problem!!
Not all. Most Mom 'n Pop CG's operate on a razor thin profit margin. They have bills to pay just like me and you. Where you run into high prices is the ones that have ALL the amenities that often have nothing to do with "camping", ...more like RV resorts than CG's.

I say let the free market speak!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 08-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #214

Quote:
Even $20. a night would be great.
Let's not get carried away now!

No, seriously, as DW said above, at the end of the day the free market will determine prices.

There are a lot of variables:

1) Availability of free overnight parking

2) Quality and layout of CG.
a) What amenities (if any) are offered with the "overnight" rate?
b) Are sites somewhat secluded, or are rigs crammed in like sardines?

3) How tired the RVers are

4) Time of day (if it is late a Cracker Barrel, etc, may be a better option).

Depending upon those factors and more, people may be willing to spend anywhere from $0 to $10 to $20+.

DW and I are unlikely to stay in a private CG -- unless it is too hot to sleep without A/C, or we need to dump the tanks and the overnight stay fee is reasonable and includes the dump station.

Nothing against campgrounds, or people who choose to stay in CG's every night. Speaking only for ourselves though, we'd rather stay at a Cracker Barrel than most CG's (if we don't need electric). Their parking lots are usually empty. They close at 10 pm so it's quiet (except for some noise from the Interstate that is typically close by). From what I've seen many private RV CG's are little more than parking lots with hookups, and if they are busy you will likely have other rigs just a few feet away on either side.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #215

Quote:
So you want someone to provide paved roads, level sites, water, electric, sewer and cable for free?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
It's not always about not affording it. What do you do at 1:00 AM when the campgrounds are closed and your tired. Keep driving and be a hazard on the road?
With all due respect, if you get yourself into that situation, especially more than once, you probably can’t plan your way out of a paper bag.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #217

Frde camping

Quote:
Well....this should spark a little conversation. Just make sure "your" campground is priced right, and have great amenities, so I don't WANT to free camp.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is being temporarily closed pending Site Team actions.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #219
Site Team

..... you probably can’t plan your way out of a paper bag......

After some review and user input we are going to re-open this thread for one more go around.
Please remember the play nice rule and keep it civil and avoid ALL personal attacks.

ME- I can't see much more to talk about here. Remember it's not your job to change anyone else's mind. State your opinion and let it go-- please!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #220
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
With all due respect, if you get yourself into that situation, especially more than once, you probably can’t plan your way out of a paper bag.
Ever spent 17 hours stuck on an interstate because of a severe crash ahead of you? I have. Ever been driving and had the interstate shut down with little or no warning due to a storm that suddenly strengthened? I have. Ever had a road closed to wash out or flash flooding leading to a 5 hour backtrack and detour? I have.

You can plan all you want, but sometimes the unexpected will come up and you have to do the best you can. I use WM, CB and others as a place of last resort. Not all of us have the luxury of endless time and crystal balls.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Closed Thread