Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #21

Walmart’s that have signs up don’t even allow Walmart trucks to park overnight. DW says if we can’t afford a campground to spend the night in then we will stay home. I think Walmart should ban overnight parking at all there stores but just my opinion
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Kins View Post
Near me almost all of them say that.
Same here. There are 5 near me and they all have that sign. They put them up probably 10 years ago.

I thought it was company-wide until I started posting here.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Did you obey the sign and take your business elsewhere?

"...Signs, Signs, everywhere a sign - blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind! Do this, don't do that, Can't you read the sign?"

DW says I don't listen very well. I tell her no, I listen just fine... I don't obey very well.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
"...Signs, Signs, everywhere a sign - blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind! Do this, don't do that, Can't you read the sign?"

DW says I don't listen very well. I tell her no, I listen just fine... I don't obey very well.

Someone else that likes the 5 Man Electrical Band [emoji3]
Old 07-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Heading home from the CG, the DW thought of something she needed and wanted to stop by Wally World. Murphysboro, IL was just up ahead, so we decided to stop there for her to get her items.

Pulled into the parking lot with the camper, and immediately saw this sign.

How many more of these are out there?

I'm wondering if this is a growing trend...
Just because they don't want you to park there overnight, it doesn't mean you can't stop long enough to get your loaf of cinnamon/raisin bread --- UNLESS they have installed that metal bar that will remove the top of your trailer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Just because they don't want you to park there overnight, it doesn't mean you can't stop long enough to get your loaf of cinnamon/raisin bread --- UNLESS they have installed that metal bar that will remove the top of your trailer.

Mr. Dan, take a look at that sign again

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #27

the Walmart in Daytona Beach does not allow over night parking. Cops camp around at 4:00 AM and woke everyone up and kicked them out. Parking lot at that one is owned by the city apparently and they control it not Walmart.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
the Walmart in Daytona Beach does not allow over night parking. Cops camp around at 4:00 AM and woke everyone up and kicked them out. Parking lot at that one is owned by the city apparently and they control it not Walmart.

We're not talking about overnight... take a close look at the sign again...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #29

Some Wal-Marts in "Hot Spot" locations have the Entrance/Exit designed in such a manner that NO Signs are Needed! Panama City rings a Bell! Youroo!!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #30

Quote:
We're not talking about overnight... take a close look at the sign again...

that's crazy I didn't even read the fine print just assumed it was about overnight
Old 07-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Some Wal-Marts in "Hot Spot" locations have the Entrance/Exit designed in such a manner that NO Signs are Needed! Panama City rings a Bell! Youroo!!

Yes we drove our truck to a New Wally world in Zephyrhills FL last winter. We were camping at Hillsborough River SP. When I got into the parking lot I was amazed at how they appeared to make it nearly impossible for a big rig to park or turn around and get out of there.
A camper wanting to shop at Wally World in Florida-- imagine that?? Sometimes you gotta wonder who really designs those parking lots!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Pretty common out on the West Coast, especially in California Walmarts.
X2....The Walmart's in Beach Cities in CA would be jammed packed with RV's with campers to cheap to stay in a campgrounds.

We used to roll into the Pismo Beach area Walmart and park in the early AM about 6am before the local campground we would be staying at Pismo Coast Village allowed us to check in at 8AM the cops were knocking on our door asking what we were doing parked there assuming we spent the night which was not allowed I always had to explain we stopped to get some supplies and breakfast at the McDonalds inside the Walmart. Walmart didn't have any issues with the parking it was a City ordinance that cops were enforcing.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 07-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #33

WALMART is not the only big box store I stay at... Lowes, Home Depot, Sams Club and Costco are at the top of my list... get their phone apps and be able to find the nearest one quickly

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #34

LOL, me thinks folks are NOT READING THE SIGN...

We're not talking about overnighting!!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #35

Most of the "weird " parking lots with trees and curbs are required by local zoning regs , landowners may not have a say ! In Daytona the Walmart on Beville Road is surrounded by Daytona but the store is located in the County of Volusia . City Cops do not respond to calls there. In Florida it is the land owners responsibility to ask you to leave before calling local authorities . Several years ago , above Daytona at the Ormond Walmart , A motorhome was asked to leave , by a Walmart employee as per city ordinance . The motorhome ignored the request , the employee called a tow service . The tow driver hooked up and told the motorhome operator to step out as he could not tow with persons in the motorhome , the motorhome operator locked his self in and thumbed his nose at everyone . The tow driver , as he was called by the landowner refused to back down , police were called to no success . After 3 days and TV camera trucks and news people the motorhome operator agree to depart if all charges and cost were dropped .
Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Most of the "weird " parking lots with trees and curbs are required by local zoning regs , landowners may not have a say ! In Daytona the Walmart on Beville Road is surrounded by Daytona but the store is located in the County of Volusia . City Cops do not respond to calls there. In Florida it is the land owners responsibility to ask you to leave before calling local authorities . Several years ago , above Daytona at the Ormond Walmart , A motorhome was asked to leave , by a Walmart employee as per city ordinance . The motorhome ignored the request , the employee called a tow service . The tow driver hooked up and told the motorhome operator to step out as he could not tow with persons in the motorhome , the motorhome operator locked his self in and thumbed his nose at everyone . The tow driver , as he was called by the landowner refused to back down , police were called to no success . After 3 days and TV camera trucks and news people the motorhome operator agree to depart if all charges and cost were dropped .

If I had been the manager I would have saw him in the bad place first. Sooner or later he would have ran out of food and water.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #37

I've seen those 'no truck or rv parking signs' in a section of a WalMart parking lot where parking would have hampered deliveries.

Some of those WalMarts in California and Florida were difficult to maneuver with my Toyota Tundra and no trailer attached. They cater to cars only. In fact, in California I rented a compact car and wished I'd rented a subcompact.

With more and more rvs on the road, it's probably predictable that free parking is going to disappear.

With the amount of money we spend at WalMarts on our trips, they'd be foolish to eliminate all rv parking. Travel centers should do well.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #38

We don't stay at Walmart. DW does not like it so we pay for a site even if we roll in at 10 pm and leave at 7 am in the morning.

What is disturbing is that we live near the border of the US. Restrictions are growing as to what we can take across so we are more often travelling with an empty fridge. So stopping at a Walmart and parking to stock up is a common practice before heading to the CG.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Walmart’s that have signs up don’t even allow Walmart trucks to park overnight. DW says if we can’t afford a campground to spend the night in then we will stay home. I think Walmart should ban overnight parking at all there stores but just my opinion
My DW says the same.

But because we camp or RV it's a habit for me to scan the Walmart parking lot for campers. I see the 30 year old unit with two old people that can hardly walk and obviously on a retirement budget that is running out and glad they can still see the country on a budget. But I don't get the Half million to one million dollar rigs that stay there. If you can afford one of those it should be pocket change for a site for the night.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
We don't stay at Walmart. DW does not like it so we pay for a site even if we roll in at 10 pm and leave at 7 am in the morning.

What is disturbing is that we live near the border of the US. Restrictions are growing as to what we can take across so we are more often travelling with an empty fridge. So stopping at a Walmart and parking to stock up is a common practice before heading to the CG.
Pretty much the same for us. Whenever we cross, we just let them know that we haven't bothered bringing any groceries, because it's too hard to keep track of what's actually allowed/not allowed. Much easier to just stock up there than to deal with having to go through everything item by item. Only difference is we prefer to hit a Meijer over a Walmart.

For the one trip that we've taken so far that we needed to do an overnight, I just planned ahead and booked a pull though at a KOA on route about 1/2 way. Yes, it's more expensive than other campgrounds, and much, much more expensive than boon docking in some parking lot, but we feel better being in an actual campground, and at places like KOAs, I can usually find pull throughs that make the in/out easier. Less time setting up when we get there, and un setting up when we leave, makes it easier to not be cranky at the end of the day.