Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I don't push the limits either and I am also off the road by 3pm. If folks have to push that hard maybe better shorten trip and enjoy things closer to home. Later RJD
Says YOU.. pff. [emoji41]
We often don't start till after work...maybe 5 or 6 pm..

Everyone had their own ways, as with anything.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #62

as this conversation can go on and on with conjecture on the most part, the truth as that NO signs like this are posted by Walmart, but are either part of a city/county ordinance, or by the owner of the property(such as a shopping center strip area where Walmart is located)...
Walmart is not looking to create any issues with those who want to park in their lots and stay 'overnight'. They don't even concern themselves most of the time with semi trucks. The signs are simply there to create the ability for local authorities to have the legal ability to enforce them, if a situation were to arise.

These signs are actually at many/most Walmarts across the country, and not uncommon...though the reality is that they are not from Walmart. The same for Home Depots, Lowes, and many others.

As most of us have found, asking a manager if you can stay overnight usually renders a positive response, regardless of the signage that may or may not be posted.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

Amen, some us get on the road at 5 pm to the campground 3 hours away. That is life.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #64
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My Rand McNally GPS devices both have a Walmart POI that tell me where they are and if they allow overnight RV parking.

I use that all the time to find Walmart stores and many other places of business when I need them.

That said, I still have never stayed overnight at one, but if I was tired and just needed to pull over for awhile, I might just consider this option since it's there.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
"...Signs, Signs, everywhere a sign - blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind! Do this, don't do that, Can't you read the sign?"

DW says I don't listen very well. I tell her no, I listen just fine... I don't obey very well.
X2. I also carry a bucket because I can’t carry a tune!

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Amen, some us get on the road at 5 pm to the campground 3 hours away. That is life.
Yup.
Sucks, doesn't it?

We push hard cross-country too. If we can make it in 2, instead of 4 days, it gives us 4 more days at the destination. Other times a sub-destination is on the way. That works too.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
people abuse Walmart's generosity and stay for a week.
Guess you missed my Post about the "Wal-Mart Camping Record" of Over 2-1/2 YEARS in one Wal-Mart location! It was Closed on here! Youroo!!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #68
I'm Lost

Quote:

Same here.
I live at my place of employment (a resort) as do all of our 55+ staff.
I finish work at 5 (if lucky), deal with final issues that crop up at last minute with my boss lady and 3 maintenance guys then head out maybe by 6pm.

Stop at storage (half way to town which is an hour away) and hook-up rig, fuel up at Canadian Tyre, go by better half's house and grab her and her gear, then hit the road, it's now past 9pm. Next stop is Wal-Mart, another 2 hours away, so we arrive after 11 usually midnight.

Next morning (8am) we buy breakfast and possibly $100 or more on groceries, hit the road to our favourite campground usually another couple of hours away.

Why do we head out this late;
I am on site at work, on call 24 hours a day, 3 phones and a radio by my bed, ready for anything from a fire (bush or cabin), kitchen issue, sewage or water system failure to assisting park wardens in a rescue with our boat!
Until I physically get off site for my 2 breaks, a 2 day or my other, a 5 day break (camping here) each year I am not relaxed or away from stress so as such I leave the night before. Sometimes we users of Wallyworld have good reasons too use their hospitality, I only do this when heading out and sometimes when going across country in January through March when I have 6 to 8 weeks off depend on renovations.

Side-note, we all do get 1 day off a week.

What does bother me, as another poster mentioned above, is these people who set-up at Wal-Mart with their BBQs, carpets, multiple chairs and tables all set-up for a long stay; low income retirees for a day or two aside, it's the high-end TTs and motor homes that abuse the system for days on end that will and are spoiling it for the rest of us.

Sorry for the rant, it's more like 2 dollars than 2 1/2 cents.

Happy travels all...............
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #70

And I have many of these downloaded and installed on my GPS as well...
POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory
Old 07-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #71
Site Team

I've seen them in places with lots if tourism.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #72

A lot of people that spend the night at Walmart mostly say they spend fifty bucks or more on groceries and seem to say Walmart has made more money off me than I spend at a commercial campground. The truth is Walmart has a thin margin of profit on groceries, probably.3 percent which on fifty bucks is a buck fifty. I think Walmart is wising up and building the parking lots that campers and commercial trucks can’t get into. Heavy trucks and big campers mess up Walmart’s parking lots. I shop at Walmart buy groceries and buy stuff for great granddaughter. Toys Toys. I see some Walmart’s that look like campgrounds especially around tourist town. Pigeon Forge Walmart is a good example so is Wilmington North Carolina at the beach
Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #73

No parking at Walmart

I have been hearing about this. It seems that a few RRrs have ruined it for us responsible RV owners. I heard that lots of trash was left on their parking lot so it is a good idea to call first and let them know you are wanting to park overnight. Not sure where this happened. FYI
Jeanne
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #74
Insert witty title here

Quote:
If I cant afford to stay in a cg then its time to stop camping. Never figured out why folks insist on spending a night in a parking lot must be cheap. Later RJD

It's not about cheap, it's about convenience. When on a long trip, I will drive until I can no longer keep my eyes open. Walmart offers a quick on and off the highway. Besides, what's wrong with saving a few bucks wherever you can?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #75

We ran into this along I75 heading south into Florida, seems that many snow birds stop along the way at Walmart and some near a closed major rest area were getting swamped with RVs so they put up similar signs.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #76

Our Walmart had 7 commercial trucks parked earlier in the morning a couple of days ago.

Any given day they have at least 4 parked overnight. No RVs this time but with as many commercial trucks that are there always, I can see the parking overnight being stopped.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 08-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #77
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:

Ya I use to do the W thing but planed my trips as not to have to rush. Travel within reason. Stay safer that way. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #78
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
It's not about cheap, it's about convenience. When on a long trip, I will drive until I can no longer keep my eyes open. Walmart offers a quick on and off the highway. Besides, what's wrong with saving a few bucks wherever you can?
An pray tell why one drive that long and becomes dangerous to other folks on the high way. This day and age folks just to much of a hurry and it will get you an early grave. You maybe on a long trip but one can shorten and when you get to that good old age of retirement then plan and relax and take long trips. Life is to short as is and you may just shorten it faster. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #79
Insert witty title here

On a full travel day, we will hit the road by 6AM then pull over for the night by 8pm. During that time, we will cover 700 miles with the only stopes being fuel, food and potty breaks. By 8pm, my eyes are crossing.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #80
Insert witty title here

Unfriendly Wal-Mart found!

Quote:
An pray tell why one drive that long and becomes dangerous to other folks on the high way. This day and age folks just to much of a hurry and it will get you an early grave. You maybe on a long trip but one can shorten and when you get to that good old age of retirement then plan and relax and take long trips. Life is to short as is and you may just shorten it faster. Later RJD

We are still working stiffs so we only have a limited vacation window and must put in long driving days to maximize the time we have at our destination.

Closed Thread