Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #141
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The most I've ever done with the RV in a Walmart parking lot is to take up a couple parking spots on the outskirts of the parking lot to go into the store, put away the groceries purchased in said store, and maybe make a sandwich before I roll outta there!
X2 except we don't even wait to make a sandwich. We just shop and leave.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #142

There's an APP for that

We use an app called "Overnight Parking Finder"
to find a Walmart or Sam's Club. People can also post their experiences at the various sites. It has been very helpful to us.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #143

The WM in our town used to allow overnight RVs. You'd occasionally see a few parked well off to the side out of the way. But when the economy tanked in 2008, there were up to 20 truck/camper shells vehicles, vans, cars, trailers, etc that just moved in and took advantage of the situation. This WM now has security 24hrs patrolling the lot to keep overnighters out. We do not have the sign stating "at any time" but there are few RVs at times obviously shopping, not camping.
GMC Sierra 2500
Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #144

for those of us who have made use of the privilege of overnighting at any big box stores, Walmart included, we can assure you that they don't put up any signage on their own, it's due to local ordinances or a strip owner/management company that requires it.

Walmart will certainly admit that they love and appreciate RVrs, even those who want to only park for the convenience of doing some shopping, as well as those who want to overnight. While they may have to submit to local jurisdictional requirements, it's very rare, if EVER, that they would themselves ask anyone to leave, or not be allowed to overnight. Even if you stop the local law enforcement, they'll admit that they don't come to Walmart to look for RVrs overnighting 'against the signage rules'. The signs are really only there to dissuade large semi-truck/trailers from parking there on a regular basis, using it as their personal parking lot. But even those trucks don't usually cause any real issues, and law enforcement rarely bothers them, either.

and Yes, we've certainly seen a few Walmart, and others, with height 'barriers' that dissuade large vehicles from entering certain parking lot entrances, but that's really only because they have tight turns that could cause issues with longer trailers...but the truck entrance is never an issue and using it is certainly just as well for most of us anyway. It has nothing to do with the 'overnighting' concern or whether some Walmarts are 'not RV friendly'...

To give some more perspective, we stopped overnight between a Walmart and a Home Depot, who share the same parking lot/areas. I went into the Wm to get an electrical adapter, and was surprised that they had little to no RV items. I walked over to HD and found pretty much the same. I asked an employee, and he stated... "well, we have several RV dealers in the area, and they lobbied successfully to the RV suppliers not to give HD and WM the ability to handle RV accessories in their local stores". What??(?)
It's hard to believe that the size of these two behemoths could be limited by several 'rv dealers', but I suppose that anything is 'possible'. : /

a story about 'overnighting' at Walmart:

We pulled into a Walmart one late night, after dark, and parked under a overhead light, way out at the outer parts of the huge lots... with other RVs spattered in different spots around the lot.
We were awakened later in the night, as police and sheriff cars, with lights on, were passing by on the way to handle some issue on the other end of the lot... turns out it was some young 'revelers' who Walmart had apparently made the local law enforcement aware of.
The group was soon dispersed, all law enforcement left the area, and all was well the rest of the overnight. We slept well knowing that law enforcement was available to handle any 'issues' while we slept.

The next morning, as we awoke to move on in our travels, I noticed that we had parked right under the huge, and bold, 'No Semi Truck or RV Overnight Parking' sign, mounted right on the light post we parked under.

What we came to realize, early on, is that we have 6 wheels, if we need to 'move on'...but it's never yet happened, and in so many overnights at big box parking lots, I'm still amazed that so many RVrs make such an issue of it, though I suppose it leaves more room for the rest of us.

Try the Walmart on the west side of Asheville, NC... their security 'patrol' truck will stop by, ask you how many nights you are 'staying with us', and will ask if there's anything they can get for you! Very Nice!

By the way, any management we've ever asked about staying overnight had no issues, and even sometimes mentioned the signage, telling us 'don't worry about those, we don't put those up'...
Old 08-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #145
Wildcat 313 RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
Such as this one we suddenly found in front of us in Sullivan, MO.
And again, if you talk to the management of that Wal-Mart in Sullivan, MO, they will provide you with directions as to which entrance to use to avoid the metal overhead bars, and where to park overnight with their permission. They were very friendly towards us, and were happy to have us stay overnight – despite the overhead bars at the entrances closer to the front of the store.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.5' and Duramax / Allison
2012 Wildcat 313RE 5th Wheel (Sold)
Demco Hijacker Auto-Slider (Sold)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #146
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimParker256 View Post
And again, if you talk to the management of that Wal-Mart in Sullivan, MO, they will provide you with directions as to which entrance to use to avoid the metal overhead bars, and where to park overnight with their permission. They were very friendly towards us, and were happy to have us stay overnight – despite the overhead bars at the entrances closer to the front of the store.

We only stopped to pick up a few items and be on our way down the road. We ended up parking along the frontage road. As we had never seen these type of bars before I asked several cashiers why they were there. Their response was we don't know. I then asked to talk to a manager because I was curious about them. After waiting 10 minutes I told the service desk we had to be on our way.

To be fair to Walmart there were several other smaller businesses along that street with bars also. But then they were also drive through type businesses in which the bars would make sense.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #147
Wildcat 313 RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
We only stopped to pick up a few items and be on our way down the road. We ended up parking along the frontage road. As we had never seen these type of bars before I asked several cashiers why they were there. Their response was we don't know. I then asked to talk to a manager because I was curious about them. After waiting 10 minutes I told the service desk we had to be on our way.

To be fair to Walmart there were several other smaller businesses along that street with bars also. But then they were also drive through type businesses in which the bars would make sense.
We called the store and asked to speak to a manager, well before we arrived. (That's what I always try to do, so I can plan ahead a bit.) She told me what exit to take off the highway, where to turn (past the main entrance, next to the tire store), where the most level spots were, and that we were welcome to stay overnight. She even told us that the local Applebee's was a cut above the average (it was). Yeah, we did a lot of our grocery shopping there...
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.5' and Duramax / Allison
2012 Wildcat 313RE 5th Wheel (Sold)
Demco Hijacker Auto-Slider (Sold)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #148

Out here in California where the working homeless population is the highest in the nation, more and more people are picking up old RVs to live in! That’s fine! However many are parking in Walmart and other Parkin lots and dumping their black water holding tanks all over in the bushes if there are any! Signs are going up everywhere “No RV Parking.”
Old 08-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #149

When we left on our 2000 mile vacation to visit family and friends we wanted to get there. After driving for 700 to 800 miles it's time for me to rest. I don't want to spend $40 to $50 just to pull it to a RV park to get some shut eye. My wife doesn't want to rest at rest stops (she's heard to many horror stories) . I realize that a lot of people have taken advantage of staying at Walmart so that's why I try to locate a Cracker Barrel to stay. They welcome RVers. Most of them even have RV spots. All their lots have security cameras. They stay open until 10 PM and open at 6 AM. (They also give senior discounts off their menu.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #150
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKVenero View Post
I read an article that campground associations have ordnance’s passed to forbid overnight parking claiming it is detrimental to their business. Denver has such an ordnance and we were asked to leave by management. I ensured them that as soon as my truck was off their lift in their service bay, I would be leaving without spending any more money in his store. We went outside of the city limits and spent the night at Cracker Barrel.

The province of Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast supposedly bans camping in parking lots too.
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #151
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
It's not about cheap, it's about convenience. When on a long trip, I will drive until I can no longer keep my eyes open. Walmart offers a quick on and off the highway. Besides, what's wrong with saving a few bucks wherever you can?

Absolutely!
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #152

Walmart

Check with management at the individual stores, sign usually applies to over night parking. Which is different than just stopping to shop for goodies!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
The province of Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast supposedly bans camping in parking lots too.
Thankfully, Cabela's has a store in Halifax scheduled to open in 2018.

Cabela's locations not only have designated RV parking, they have dump stations & water, too.

https://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp
Old 08-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #154
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprise View Post
Thankfully, Cabela's has a store in Halifax scheduled to open in 2018.

Cabela's locations not only have designated RV parking, they have dump stations & water, too.

https://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp

I'm going to have to check that out next spring when we head down east.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #155
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've never used Cabela's or Walmart, but I do notice that everytime I drive past a Cabela's later in the evening their marked RV spots look to be filled up.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #156

People that camp at Walmart are just getting camping for nothing, my feelings are if you can’t afford to stay in a campground then stay home. Campgrounds are like fuel just a expense. You can’t get free fuel
Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #157

i retired from walmart and our store posted them all the time. mostly because big rigs tore up the parking lot. people and drivers generally ignore them (even wmrt drivers). our manager called dispatch and they said to tell them to leave but after the first couple i guess it wasn't worth it cause there are always campers and semi's parked on the lot. i think it's mostly up to the managers to enforce it and most seem to feel that as long as they are parking in the very back of the lot and don't camp out there it's not worth fooling with. the only time it ever bothered me was when 3-4 semi's would take up all the associate parking and we had to look for a spot that wouldn't get us in trouble or get our cars towed....also a mgmnt decision.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
People that camp at Walmart are just getting camping for nothing, my feelings are if you can’t afford to stay in a campground then stay home. Campgrounds are like fuel just a expense. You can’t get free fuel

It's not always about not affording it. What do you do at 1:00 AM when the campgrounds are closed and your tired. Keep driving and be a hazard on the road?

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #159
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
It's not always about not affording it. What do you do at 1:00 AM when the campgrounds are closed and your tired. Keep driving and be a hazard on the road?
No according to some you should just stay home.. Yeah okay buddy..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #160
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
No according to some you should just stay home.. Yeah okay buddy..
Agreed! Completely aggravating. Evidently you can only enjoy something if you do it exactly as some people do. But heaven forbid you say something about the way they do things.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Closed Thread