Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Unsupported slide out on Rockwood Roo

We just bought a used 21 RS Rockwood Roo with a hard walled slide out bed at the end of the trailer. When it is retracted, it is suspended in midair. What is the best way to support the retracted slider in order to avoid damage caused by bouncing while on the road? I think it may have already caused some cracks on the exterior wall at top and bottom right of slide out. This is my first post Thanks for your help in advance.
Ellen&Jorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenselin View Post
We just bought a used 21 RS Rockwood Roo with a hard walled slide out bed at the end of the trailer. When it is retracted, it is suspended in midair. What is the best way to support the retracted slider in order to avoid damage caused by bouncing while on the road? I think it may have already caused some cracks on the exterior wall at top and bottom right of slide out. This is my first post Thanks for your help in advance.
The weight of the slide is borne by the structural tubing used to build all slides of this type. My own motorhome has very similar construction. Difference is the entire floor can be used to hold it, it doesn't, they actually use hollow tubing to accept the slide as it retracts. In your case I believe most of the load is shared by the side walls and the bottom of the rear wall. When inside the weight is supported by the same members but you may experience some "over hung" weight. I may suggest a 2 x 4 cut very carefully placed from the framing of the bed to a 8" square foot of plywood or similar. That would stop the bouncing. Most important to remove this device before deploying the slide. Just one more of many steps for happy camping. I had a couple of pop-ups over the years and they had "tracks" on the walls to support in and poles when out.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Team

since you didn't post what year it is, it could be an early model that may have had problems.
slideout supports are an old holdover from the early years of "tipouts/popouts".
the technology wasn't as good as it is now.
slideouts in last decade, don't need supports and the manufacturers advise not to use them as they will damage the slideout.
the slideout frames now support the slideout very well now.

but i seem to remember that the early Roo RS models had a few growing pain issues, since the rear bed slide was a new thing for them.
but if you've bought it used, you don't have any warranty recourse.
or the previous owners DID use some sort of exterior support and did the damage.

also, pics will help a lot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote