Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

update on problems with shwintek

I had a mobile service person come out today to fix 2 motors that stopped working on my schwintek slides. Found out the problem was the slide when coming in pinched the wires cutting them off from the motor. The tech said that 80% of his schwintek motor problems are from wires being cut during slide travel. He had a fix for this by putting a piece of shrink wrap over the wires and then positioning them away from any obstecals that can cut them. He says he has never had a return visit for this problem.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
I had a mobile service person come out today to fix 2 motors that stopped working on my schwintek slides. Found out the problem was the slide when coming in pinched the wires cutting them off from the motor. The tech said that 80% of his schwintek motor problems are from wires being cut during slide travel. He had a fix for this by putting a piece of shrink wrap over the wires and then positioning them away from any obstecals that can cut them. He says he has never had a return visit for this problem.
He is right most are motor problems, either the fall off or short out or become unsynced by people not holding the switch in for 3 secs so they can equalize out. they are a PITA IMO.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
He is right most are motor problems, either the fall off or short out or become unsynced by people not holding the switch in for 3 secs so they can equalize out. they are a PITA IMO.....
if this is a true statement, which I think it absolutely is, then why not make it where you push the out button and then it extends on its own, because if you stop it, it will lose its travel sync, and then have to re-sync it, why not put a auto out-in button and let it drive it self, because it looks for over amping anyway, and then add a e-stop in case something goes wrong, eliminate the possibility of getting it out of sync by stopping it prematurely, I know for one I check for obstacles before I extend or retract our slide, doing this might take out the instances of operator error, I have worked on thousands of automatic equipment that would have this feature, and they were a lot more expensive and bigger than what this deals with, just a thought anyway, eliminate operator error
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
if this is a true statement, which I think it absolutely is, then why not make it where you push the out button and then it extends on its own, because if you stop it, it will lose its travel sync, and then have to re-sync it, why not put a auto out-in button and let it drive it self, because it looks for over amping anyway, and then add a e-stop in case something goes wrong, eliminate the possibility of getting it out of sync by stopping it prematurely, I know for one I check for obstacles before I extend or retract our slide, doing this might take out the instances of operator error, I have worked on thousands of automatic equipment that would have this feature, and they were a lot more expensive and bigger than what this deals with, just a thought anyway, eliminate operator error
AS far as I know this has been the most frequent problems. After reading of all these failures. Your right it can be designed differently, but this is what you get with an RV no matter who the manufacturer is. It's a lot cheaper then the LCI system. Just my opinion but they can give us better then that...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That's why I bought and installed a RF controller with remote....now, standing outside to extend slide and inside to retract
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

You can not wire a slide to open fully at the push of a button because you would smash kids and people and many other things if you didn't have control while operating.

Many people park their RV near our house or garage or other structures and if there were people or pets in between they would get pinched and smashed.

It would not be good.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

well as long as you have a emergency stop it would be quite safe, you have to hold the button anyway, it was just a thought, not a desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
You can not wire a slide to open fully at the push of a button because you would smash kids and people and many other things if you didn't have control while operating.

Many people park their RV near our house or garage or other structures and if there were people or pets in between they would get pinched and smashed.

It would not be good.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That's why I bought and installed a RF controller with remote....now, standing outside to extend slide and inside to retract
Bob, What remote did you add? Do you have a link? In our new 8329SS I have three slides to keep track of and a remote could be very, very nice!

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Got it from AmazonClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458945601977.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	102832