Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Upgrading from TT to Toy Hauler - things to consider?

Two years ago we bought a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306. We both work full time, have 3 kids (12, 11, and 9), and two dogs. For being as busy as we are, we've put a lot of nights on it, and do love it.

But we did not expect the kids to grow so fast. I had no idea that the 12 year old would be bigger than me at this age. And while he has a tent and likes to camp outside, sometimes that's not feasible.

Prior to the TT, we upgraded from tent to tent to popup, then to the TT. We bought that particular model because our TV could haul it, and we didn't want to break the bank and upgrade both. I told hubby I'm kind of tired of upgrading. So, go big or go home. I want this to be IT. Final. To camp properly, we need our stuff.. kayaks and bikes and my scooter and his new Harley.

I feel like we've considered all the options. We've sat in dozens of models. With the kids. We've camped enough to know the basic necessities. I know what I want for comfort and hubby knows how to operate all the mechanic stuff. He loves the idea of hydraulic levelers. All those grand features our TT doesn't have.

But what else should we consider when it comes to options and construction? At the RV show, the sales guys make a big deal about their hitch and turning radius and shape of the front end.

How much of that needs to be taken into consideration vs. finding a floor plan that works for our family?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #2

We are newbies but I would think that if you are not happy with the floor plan then all else is mute. Sorry, that is my opinion and probably not worth much.
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

DKB74,
It all becomes an idea of , how much comfort. We had a TH for 4 years and loved it. It was an XLR 29MBV. It had a v-nose and pulled very well at 10,000 lbs. We pulled it with F250 diesel. averaged around 11 mpg(diesel). Traded up for something to retire in. One of my have to things was 6 point level system. It was one of my best decisions. Camp is now set-up in 20 minutes and no rocking or movement! One thing that I had to upgrade in the TH was, the bed. It had a murphy bed and it got changed out for an electric set of two ( one on bottom and one on top). Are you considering a fiver?

Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

Yes, we are. We have a model in mind, but it is not a Forest River.

previous owner of
Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
Yes, we are. We have a model in mind, but it is not a Forest River.

Thats OK. A lot of people here have owned other brands and will probably have some insight. Gotta do what works best for your family, FR or not

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

My wife and I just went through this process. For our consideration, floor plan was the deciding factor. We wanted to be able to use the garage as a living area when the trike is out. Why have 10' of area to pull around if you can't use it? We ended up with a Work and Play 30WRS. We love it. Our maiden voyage has been 3 weeks so far, from Michigan to California. It does everything we wanted, plus some nice amenities.

One thing to be careful of is your tow vehicle ratings. For us, the hitch weight was the one to watch, but remember toy haulers are heavier and can put your TV at its max, if you're not careful.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

We're switching from a Class A to a TH 5th. The toy bay will serve as a play room for our two dogs, space for the washer/dryer, office, and extra party area. We were looking at the 305V12 and they stopped making that. Now we've zeroed in on the 300X12. We really want the rails on the ramp to give us even more space.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
Two years ago we bought a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306. We both work full time, have 3 kids (12, 11, and 9), and two dogs. For being as busy as we are, we've put a lot of nights on it, and do love it.

But we did not expect the kids to grow so fast. I had no idea that the 12 year old would be bigger than me at this age. And while he has a tent and likes to camp outside, sometimes that's not feasible.

Prior to the TT, we upgraded from tent to tent to popup, then to the TT. We bought that particular model because our TV could haul it, and we didn't want to break the bank and upgrade both. I told hubby I'm kind of tired of upgrading. So, go big or go home. I want this to be IT. Final. To camp properly, we need our stuff.. kayaks and bikes and my scooter and his new Harley.

I feel like we've considered all the options. We've sat in dozens of models. With the kids. We've camped enough to know the basic necessities. I know what I want for comfort and hubby knows how to operate all the mechanic stuff. He loves the idea of hydraulic levelers. All those grand features our TT doesn't have.

But what else should we consider when it comes to options and construction? At the RV show, the sales guys make a big deal about their hitch and turning radius and shape of the front end.

How much of that needs to be taken into consideration vs. finding a floor plan that works for our family?
I have been same route as you. Now have Fifth wheel toyhauler. You didn't say what tow vehicle and whether you were staying with the TT or going Fifthwheel. Most of the larger Toy Haulers will have options for electric queen size let down beds in the garage which is what we have. Counting the front bed ours has 3 full size queen beds and the dinette makes into near queen size. I have a 12 ft garage and haul 2 full dresser Harleys in it. It is full and makes the tongue weight little light. It is fifthwheel with 1 super slide. From my research the fifthwheels are going to be about 36 to 40 feet and weigh 12000 up. This requires and works much better with a 3/4 ton Diesel and 0ne ton dually makes me feel even better. You can pull them with a gas burner, but mileage will be terrible and won't like the mountains much.
As for the front cap if speaking about FW it is necessary for cab clearance when turning and helps on aerodynamics. If referring to the TT it is a aerodynamics and both are somewhat cosmetic. They are the first thing you see when meeting one on road, so got to look good. For all the stuff you are wanting to haul the 14 foot garage would be a must. If in TT there are some open designs like the Work and Play that would be worth looking at. The weight of the fifthwheels needs to be prime concern. It takes big trucks to pull them as the tow weight can easily be in the 15000 lbs category and then some. Some salesmen will have you pulling a fifthwheel with a 1/2 ton pickup, so do your research. I also wouldn't care to pull a 35 foot toyhauler TT with anything less than 3/4 ton. Your statement of go big or go home makes more sense than you may think. It does apply more to the tow vehicle than the RV. Never saw a truck too big for the trailer, but have seen many trailers too big for truck. Good luck and look in camp grounds as to what people are pulling.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

We have. 2011 41 ft XLR fifth wheel. My 1st suggestion is to make sure you have a truck capable of towing a big TH. I have a Ford F-450 DRE TD. It does the trick. secondly, don't scrimp on the hitch and make sure you buy a bed saver. I dropped my.TH on the bed of the truck before I knew there was anything called a bed saver. Third, when towing make sure you make really wide turns. I ran mine in the ditch right in front of my house by not swinging wide enough and later scrapped a road sign in a camp ground. A 41 ft TH and the tow vehicle makes the rig as long as a semi. With experience I've gotten better, but at a price. Many RV parks are not equipped to handle big rigs, even some that advertise otherwise. Driving through narrow park roads and turning onto a site can be harrowing. If you are in NC try Ocean Breeze RV Park and Campground near Holden Beach. If in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. try River Plantation near Sievereville. Both are good at handling big rigs.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
2014 XLR 27HFS

Floor plan must match your needs for you to love it. With all the experience you have camping, you know how you camp. Do your homework, look at everything on line, then go to some RV shows and walk through them. Go back after that and look again. Narrow it down, then go to the dealers who sell your top 3. Touch everything in it. You'll know when you see it. I did. Finally, shop until you get a deal that no one can beat. Take your time. My toy hauler is not huge, but it's only for two of us. I like it more every time I use it.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, we are looking at a 5th wheel, and will be upgrading our TV to accommodate what we choose.

previous owner of
Old 02-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

We had a little different situation, We went the TH route after our kids left home......so they could still come with us with their toys or our golf car. The garage gives them a private bedroom........ or our dogs when the kids are not along..... Wish we had a TH years ago. But now its still great to have.....The garage has so many uses, garage, bedroom, living area, storage or what ever you want it to be....... as has been mentioned just make sure you have enough truck to tow it with........... Good Luck !!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #13

As someone who's done exactly what you're planning to do, here's my take. Obviously the floor plan needs to meet your needs. With 3 kids, the scooter, Harley, etc, you're looking at a pretty big TH (34' or more.) So you'll need to look at what your TV can safely pull, and try to find something that satisfies both categories. The garage is awesome--from a garage for toys, to a spare bedroom, to a mud room to enter through when it's raining, to an elevated indoor/outdoor patio, the uses are endless. But again, it boils down to weight. We really liked the floorplan of our XLR 30 HFS-5 because it was big enough for our needs but well under our tow rating, (even full of Harleys and water,) but it's probably too small for 2 adults and 3 kids. The Internet is your friend, makes it easy to look at many different lengths, floor plans, and specs without setting foot at a dealer. Oh, and you'll love pulling the 5th wheel. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #14

Moving up to 5th TH

We love ours. I agree with the other posts regarding insuring you have enough TV for your new trailer. I found that it was easier to settle on the trailer that works best for your needs then meet or exceed your TVs capability to your trailers gross weight. Remember your trucks payload rating is a better indicator of true tow capacity over what a manufacturer lists as the vehicle tow capacity.
Good luck, I think you will appreciate just how versatile a TH can be.

Happy Trails To All This Season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 and 351THSS.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	69689  
Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #15

we almost bought a trailer last year (ended up my 2013 Ram 1500 didnt have enough payload for it) so we went without. March of last year I almost ordered a Ram 2500, but having learned my lesson with the half ton, I ordered a 2014 Ram 3500 laramie SRW because I wanted enough payload for a toy hauler.

After looking at Toy Haulers for the last year, and spending a good bit of time in them at recent rv shows, we are ordering a 2015 XLR Thunderbolt 340x12hp. Unit will come in around 12400 dry with a 16500 GVWR. This is about the max size I would want to tow with my truck (4074lbs payload). Many toy haulers these days are much bigger and heavier than the XLR I am ordering...easily in dually territory and many better off with a MDT, so make sure you have enough truck (payload especially) for the TH's you are considering. We will be using our's to tote the atv's to west va to ride, as well as using it (more often than not) for a regular camper. The garage space is very versatile...the downside to a TH is smaller living space (living room), although the garage is often times used for another living room. The double queen beds and or sofas in the back offer a lot of flexibility. Good luck on your search!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #16
Just Love to Camp

As most have said stay with what your TV can pull. Then the best thing I can tell you is go in as many makes and models as possible. Pick them apart of what you like and don't like. We went from a 31 quad bunk TT to a 386x12 Thunderbolt. With me I had already had a wish list but went I walked into the first time it felt like home. Good luck.

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #17

I met a guy at a Camping World location who happened to be a consultant for Montana. He said that one of the main concerns when towing a 12K pound trailer or fifth wheel is getting into a slide with a single axle TV. He said that when you get to that weight range it is very possible for the rear tires to literally come off the rims. His recommendation was that a TV with DRW is essential. Made sense to me. Incidentally, my TV is an F-450 TD/DRW.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #18
Just Love to Camp

We towed with a F350 srw for 2 season. It did ok but knew it was back there especially on the mountain. Upgraded the last season. To a F450 DRW. Big difference. Also feel safer just because if we blow a rear tire on the truck Paper states a little over 14300 lbs empty.

2012 F450
Virginia
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The DW and I are also considering the F-450 to tow the TH-420.

2015 Heartland Road Warrior RW 420 Stock: HR92587 | Optimum RV
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Just Love to Camp

Nice looking unit. You will also love a F 450

2012 F450
Virginia

Tags
toy hauler