Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Using a winch to get pop-up in the garage.

When I bought our 2011 Flagstaff 625D pop-up I knew the fit in the garage was going to be tight. What I didn't figure on was that I cannot get a straight run into the garage (neighbors fence in the way).

What I ended up doing was purchasing a $70 12V winch from harbor freight (95912) that has a wireless remote. Bolted it to the floor with some tapcons.

I backed up the camper to the door, tied a strap around the rear bumper and hooked the strap to the winch. Using the winch remote to pull it in and man-handling the tongue to keep 'er going straight I had it exactly where I wanted it in about 10 minutes.

The wireless remote is great because I could walk all around and make sure I was okay while it was being pulled in. Best of all I was able to do it all by myself. The only problem I had was I used a garden tractor battery on the winch and it started losing power half-way in. I connected my battery charger and pulled it the rest of the way in with the charger connected with no problem.

If anyone is looking for an easy way to get into a tight storage area, this worked great for me.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ingenious.

If your garage and/or driveway slopes, always have a wedge to throw under the tongue wheel.......just in case.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #3

Just goes to show what can be accomplished when you set your mind to it!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Anacortesians

If someone wants to spend a bit more, look into the battery-powered airplane towing devices. You can get an adapter to fit a towing hitch ball socket and you have steering and pwer controls on the handle.