Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #41

My Simply Go has a night time setting that makes the pulse setting more sensitive (as previously noted, breathing is shallower at night) weighs 10 lbs. Don't know if it would last all night for OP.

Since I also use CPAP at night I have to use the 2l continuous setting. With 2 machines going we always get hookups. Prior to being on oxygen I successfully ran the CPAP off the batteries.
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #42

Oxy concentrator

I, too, use an oxygen concentrator only at night. I don’t boondock, so can’t help you with that. Mine only runs a couple of hours on battery, also. I have a Respironics Simply Go. My biggest problem with running on electricity hookup is that it draws too much power to run a fan at the same time, so I assume it draws quite a bit of power. My motorhome has 30amp service. I tried a smaller unit that ran on #2 pulse, only, but had problems keeping my mouth shut, so the alarm continuously went off. So I had to switch to continuous flow. The machines are nosier on pulse, I think.
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:34 AM   #43

I, too, use an oxygen concentrator only at night. I don’t boondock, so can’t help you with that. Mine only runs a couple of hours on battery, also. I have a Respironics Simply Go. My biggest problem with running on electricity hookup is that it draws too much power to run a fan at the same time, so I assume it draws quite a bit of power. My motorhome has 30amp service. I tried a smaller unit that ran on #2 pulse, only, but had problems keeping my mouth shut, so the alarm continuously went off. So I had to switch to continuous flow. The machines are nosier on pulse, I think. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #44

Smile Oxy Concentrator

Why not use a portable oxygen tank?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #45

Icy Concentrator

Why not use a portable oxygen tank while boondocking?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by randidanny View Post
Does anyone use an oxygen concentrator while RVing? My husband now needs to use one while sleeping. This means that we need to have electrical hookups. We are trying to figure out how to have nights off the grid. We are checking into concentrators that are portable but they don't last very long. We found one (Resperonics Simply Flow) that will run off of DC power. So, then we need to amp up our battery power. Looks like that means changing over to lithium batteries for a start.

Also, is it safe to run the oxygen concentrator in an RV with a gas stove?

If you have any experience with this issue I would love to hear from you.
I'm not familiar with an Oxygen generator but for longer draw time on a battery using an inverter when boondocking, my suggestion is to get golf cart batteries such as Trojan or US battery (brand name) 2-12 volt in parallel or 2-6 volt in series. Both 12 volt batteries have around 155 amp hour ratings each, so two wired in parallel should give you close to 300 amp hours of run time. 6 volt batteries have longer run time than 12v but requires 2 in series to give you 12v and you will need at least 4 of them which is a lot of weight and space. Either one can be charged from a vehicle or generator, since 12v will be in parallel it will still be 12v and two 6v in series will still be 12v. Just a little food for thought.
kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #47

Regarding tanks, the E size (typical pull cart size) lasts 5 hours on 2 liters. 2 tanks per night means I'd need another trailer for enough tanks for my 30 night trip this summer ;-)
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote