Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

Using camper during these freeze warnings

Hello all-

My camper is in my pole barn in Northern Michigan. We still plan on using it some.

We just bought it a few months ago. Coachmen Freedom Express 19ft

We mainly bought it so that when we have family up they can stay in that since we have a small place, we will probably do some trips in it as well especially when we retire in a few years.

Anyway, we are in that time of year where the temps are dropping at night.

I am sure a lot of you in the northern climates use your rigs in the fall. Beautiful time of the year to be camping!

How do you handle this with the water systems? I was going to just winterise it and if we use it not use the water systems (Use bottled water, use the toilet in the cabin etc) If the kids come up before fall is over

Just wondering how you all handle this issue

Regards
Michigan Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #2

My trailer has 12V tank heaters and we will run the furnace at night to keep the trailer somewhat warm. Furnace temp is set to 50 so, it only runs when it is colder than that. In my 15 years of owning different 5th wheels I have never had an issue with frozen water lines in the camper when fall camping. We even had snow over night in northern WI with no issues at all.
Just saying this is how I handle fall camping.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

Sorry I did not mean when its in use

I mean when its not in use but you are not ready to hang it up for the winter yet.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

You are on the right path. Myself unless it is going to be cold for more them just a few hours before sunup I don't worry about it when it does get cold I winterize and use bottled water.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

I usually winterize my trailer around the 20 of Oct of each year, since most northern camp grounds close after Columbus Day. Before that time I do not worry about the trailer and it's water system since we never have a pro-long period of a deep freeze. If the night time temps drop into the low 30's the water lines will be fine. The PEX water lines they now use are pretty forgiving.

Just my opinion.

If you are really worried just blow the water out of the water lines with air. This will keep the water lines from freezing until your next usage of the trailer. In fact that is all some dealers do when they winterized your water lines.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Happycamper

We just got home from Grayling where it was 28 degrees on friday night and hovering around freezing saturday night. We had full hookups. i had the tank heaters on. we had a slight problem with the backflow valve on the water pump, it stuck open slightly and over the course of the evening, filled the fresh water tank to overflowing. No damage. I ran some hot water thru the pump for a few minutes and all was back to normal, and kept the drain open on the fresh tank for the rest of the trip. With tank heaters and furnace running I do not fret about below freezing for a few hours. Oh, an electric blanket sure cuts down on propane use this time of year.
fkovach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Brian View Post
How do you handle this with the water systems? I was going to just winterise it and if we use it not use the water systems (Use bottled water, use the toilet in the cabin etc) If the kids come up before fall is over
Your plan is a good one. It's better to be safe rather then sorry when it comes to freezing conditions.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input and advice

Tags
camper