Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #1

Using chocks/tire psi

I have chocks on because I park on a slope. I want to check my psi, do I have to remove the chock since it adds pressure to the tires in order to get accurate psi to fill the tires?
Thank you
mongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongal View Post
I have chocks on because I park on a slope. I want to check my psi, do I have to remove the chock since it adds pressure to the tires in order to get accurate psi to fill the tires?
Thank you
Not sure I follow this. How do the chocks add pressure?

The chocks possibly contorting the tires is not going to be of any significance, so does not change the internal pressure. You should be good to go, checking pressure with or without chocks.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #3

Physical weight on the tire will increase pressure. Chocks do not add weight so no increase in tire pressure

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Physical weight on the tire will increase pressure. Chocks do not add weight so no increase in tire pressure
Only if it can reduce the volume of the tire, otherwise just distorting the shape doesn't change the pressure as the volume of air is the same inside the same size vessel.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #5

Name:   Capture.JPG
Views: 991
Size:  15.7 KB
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #6

pass some over here Navy
Old 09-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I agree with the posts. That said, I usually check my rig's tire pressures when I'm hooked up and ready to hit the super-slab.
1. Check door and storage compartment locks.
2. Check hitch, bars, chains, and breakaway brake cable.
3. Check lug nut torque.
4. Check truck and trailer tire pressure, including spare, add air if necessary.
5. Make sure our little dog Clyde is in the truck. (Yes, Clyde, an epileptic rescue mini poodle, came to live with us in late June! He's a sweet little 8 year old who lived in a cage for 8 years.)
6. Make sure my DW is in the truck.
7. Do one more walkaround, checking lights, hitch, bars, chains and truck mirrors.
Then it's off to our next adventure.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
REL

No
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you
I would postulate that the chocks would lower the pressure in the tire. Let's say that you are parked on a slope with no chocks. The weight of the RV is distributed to the tire only on the surface area of the tire's contact with the driveway causing a certain amount of distortion and volume reduction that the same amount of air has to fill so pressure goes up.

Now if you add chocks and allow the RV to roll down the slope and up against the chocks, the chocks are now also supporting a portion of the weight of the RV. Since the weight is now distributed across a larger surface area of the tire (the driveway + the chock), there will be less distortion of the tire, less reduction in volume, therefore lower pressure in the tire.

Unless, of course, you use x-chocks between the tires. Now the forces acting upon the tires are multiple. You have the weight of the RV being applied downward, acting upon the tire across the surface area that is in contact with the driveway, and you have an added force of the x-chocks acting sideways on the tire across the surface area that is in contact with the x-chock. Since you have now added an additional force on the tire instead of simply spreading out the existing force across a larger surface area, it can be surmised that the distortion on the tire will be greatest in this scenario, resulting in the highest compression of the air volume inside the tire, and the greatest air pressure.

Sprinkle that on your popcorn and eat it!

DISCLAIMER: You would probably need an air pressure gauge capable of reading within a thousandth of a PSI in order to accurately measure the difference.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #10

No.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #11

Honey.... can I have my chalk back so I can check the tire pressure on it?

NO.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #12

Measure the pressure with the chock in. Pull it out and measure it again. Hmmm, same pressure QED
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #13
NXR

While some people provided helpful replies others may not have noticed that this was mongal's 22nd post. We all were beginners once and none of us have all the answers. Asking, instead of just acting when uncertain, is never a bad thing.

Mongal, welcome! BTW, I'm just north of you.

It's a very good thing to be concerned about your tire pressures since under-inflated tires are a significant contributor to tire failures and RV damage. Since it got down to the upper 30's here overnight, remember that a tire's pressure will drop about 2% for every 10 degrees of temperature decrease. Be certain that our winter temps will not cause your tires to become underinflated over the winter.

I always strongly suggest installing a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Although I've never used either, two that seem popular for trailer owners are the GUTA models and the Tymate models. The best thing to do when installing a TPMS is to take your wheels to a local tire shop (I used Conrad's) and had them install all-metal valve stems. Adding even a lightweight TPMS sensor to the end of a rubber valve stem will cause the valve stem to flex and you do not want that flexing to cause the flat you're trying to avoid.

I do not know which size wheels (rims) you have however I used TR-416 valve stems on my 12" dolly wheels. Note that the one in the link comes with two grommets, for different-sized holes in the wheel. Only one gets used and it gets put on the inside of the tire. https://www.amazon.com/OTAUPRS-Piece...LYZ/ref=sr_1_5

Before we leave for the winter I bring my TPMS display in the house (because our motorhome is in our driveway) so I can remotely check the tire pressures without getting cold, wet, or dirty.

Ray
Old 10-03-2022, 08:06 AM   #14
NXR

My canned thoughts on using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on a trailer (the advice is a bit different for a motorhome):

- A TPMS on a trailer, while towing, should be considered more of a trend monitor. In other words, if all of the tires are behaving essentially the same and all of the tires are behaving essentially as you know they have in the past, the absolute numbers AND how much they change while towing are not that important.

Note that the direct sun on one side will raise the temps and pressures of those tires, more than you might expect. You can even see this effect while parked. That's why tires must have their pressure set while "cold".

"Cold" means "Today's outside air temperature BEFORE the tires have been used and BEFORE the direct sun has a chance to warm the tires."

- WHY YOU SEE PRESSURE INCREASES WHILE TOWING - As long as the cold pressure is set appropriately for the weight, and for a trailer with more than one tire on each side that almost always should be the pressure molded into the sidewall due to interply shear stresses, any pressure increase while traveling is pretty much irrelevant UNLESS the tire is overloaded OR a mechanical failure is occurring, such as a wheel bearing failing. A failing wheel bearing will cause the tire to heat up because the tire cannot spin as freely. That temperature increase will also cause some increase in the tire pressure.

Why are pressure increases normally not a concern while underway? Because the tires are designed to easily handle those pressure increases as long as the tires are not overloaded. The pressure increases are normal and they are expected.

The pressure molded into the tire sidewall is a constant source of confusion. It is NOT the maximum pressure the tire should ever see.

That molded pressure is the MINIMUM air pressure needed in the tire to safely support the MAXIMUM weight that the tire is designed for WHEN COLD.

- WHY YOU SEE TEMPERATURE INCREASES WHILE TOWING - It's the same reason as above. When the tires are being used there is road friction and their temperature will go up, the same as how their pressure goes up. Also, the sun shining directly on one side will raise the pressure and temperatures on just those tires.

That being said, on a trailer, an abnormal TEMPERATURE increase might be indicative of a failing wheel bearing or a dragging brake. "Might" being the operative word.

THIS IS IMPORTANT -> If you do not already do so, consider buying an infrared temperature "gun" and get in the habit of "shooting" the wheel hub temperatures each time you stop, as soon as you stop because they can cool quickly. If one wheel hub is significantly hotter than the others you have a problem, perhaps a big problem.

- LOW PRESSURE ALARM - The critical alarm on a TPMS is the Low Pressure alarm. A tire that is 20% below the required pressure is considered flat and subject to hidden damage.

The Low Pressure alarm should be set to no more than 10% below the required cold pressure to give you an adequate amount of time to get pulled over, add air to get to a tire shop, or whatever is needed.

So if your tires are supposed to be set cold to 65 PSI to handle the weight they're carrying, then the Low Pressure Alarm should be set to alarm at no less than 59 PSI and 52 PSI is considered flat. That's not much of a difference.

- HIGH TEMPERATURE alarm and HIGH PRESSURE ALARM - Because these are somewhat useful on a trailer, they should be set to something higher than you see while towing. I know, that's a somewhat useless answer. Read the TPMS manual for suggestions.

In other words, you need to do some trips to know where they should alarm. For example, if the highest pressure you ever see on your 65 PSI tires is 80 PSI, you might consider setting the HIGH PRESSURE alarm to 85 or 90 PSI.

The key is to have the "HIGH" alarms set high enough that they will NEVER go off when nothing is wrong. I made that mistake once and trust me, it is not something you want to try to deal with at 65 MPH just to find out it was the hot sun that did it.

- Separate TPMS display or a phone app for the display? Do you really want a critical safety feature dependent on a phone being charged or on some phone update breaking the TPMS functionality? Not me but perhaps you are OK with that.

- Note that at least one TPMS manufacturer does NOT let the owner set their own alarm thresholds. They try to do your thinking for you by using a "percentage of baseline" for all alarms. When selecting a TPMS system be aware of that limitation. Personally, I would never buy that system but others like it.

- No, a TPMS is not cheap but it is cheap insurance and only has a one-time premium payment.

In most cases the price of a TPMS is less than the cost of one tire and much less than repairing the damage from a tire that disassembled itself at highway speeds.

And NEVER let air out of a hot tire. Never.

Make sense?

Ray
Old 10-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Measure the pressure with the chock in. Pull it out and measure it again. Hmmm, same pressure QED
Yup. There seems to be some confusion between pressure and volume here.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #16

NXR - thank you for the post. That was good practical information about tire pressure and how it is affected by environmental conditions.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Thank you

HUmmmm - do you remove the wheels and tires so they are lying on the ground with NO WEIGHT PUSHING ON THEM and then check the air pressure?

I think not!

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you
I think the OP's question is a great one. Makes me think of legendary Physicist Richard Feynman and how he resolved the O-ring question during the Challenger Disaster hearings.

The OP could easily check the pressure under both scenarios and report back to us. While I agree that there would be no substantial change in tire pressure because tire pressure is primarily a function of the volume of air in a tire. However, who knows unless they do a little experimentation?
Old 10-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
HUmmmm - do you remove the wheels and tires so they are lying on the ground with NO WEIGHT PUSHING ON THEM and then check the air pressure?

I think not!

It is a legitimate question.
Thank you for being so helpful.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:45 AM   #20

You are entitled to your opinion ----- just as I. Thank you.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocks, tire