Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
We also have reverse osmosis at home, primarily because DW is a water snob. (Hell, I still drink from the garden hose.) When we are heading out, I have 6 1-gallon jugs from the R.O. system and I fill our FW tank using a Camco blue filter. I use that when refilling our hooked up to city water. The jugs are for drinking and making coffee and ice. When the jugs are empty, any water we drink also goes through a PuR filter pitcher.

Works for us and keeps DW happy.
My sister decided my mom should have a reverse osmosis machine. Her doctor finds out she is drinking that and tells her to drink water with more minerals in it. She no longer drinks the RO water.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #42

We have a reverse osmosis for home use. We always take bottled water to drink and cook with. Tank water for dishes, flushing toilet, etc. Campsite water for showers, etc. I don't bother to put the filter cartridge in.
Tom Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

I trust water where I travel, unless there is an advisory against it, or it is aesthetically unpleasing. Even if there is something unhealthy in it, unless you are there long term, chances are you won't ingest enough to make you sick (things like chems, heavy metals). Biological agents will make you sick with one drink, but then that water probably isn't 'potable'.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Sarah is so paranoid she doesn't trust the water at her home, there's no way she'll trust campground or water tank water.

The number of people dying in campgrounds from bad water is astounding!.

-- Chuck
By the same token (re: bottled water hazards)
If you read the warnings included with, let's say Tylenol, you'd be scared to ever take it again.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
Wow! I guess it's 'fess up time. I have been RVing since the very early 1980's. Always used tank water. Traveled extensively during the 80's and into mid 90's showing dogs. Refilled when ever tank got low with whatever water was available, sometimes from the hose bib on commercial buildings. Drove that 1983 coach for 12 years, sold it in good running condition after 82,000 miles, mostly put on over weekends. We constantly added to our water tank when we could to keep the dogs acclimated to a constantly changing taste.

We are now on our 6th coach. All used, all but the first one used. Never once sanitized or filtered. Never once carried bottled water for anything. Never once had a problem.
My traveling companion and I have both survived as have dozens of dogs, many pampered champions. I am now 85 years old and the current senior dog is coming up on 17 (the youngster is approaching 14) all of us still RVing regularly. I must admit to lately succumbing to using a blue filter - but I don't really know why. I think it maybe we decided at some point that it makes the water taste better at a few of our regular camping spots where we do sometimes hook up.
The inline blue filters often do little more than keep any sand out of the water and keeps your tank free of sediment.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolan5 View Post
All our consumed water is ran through a filtered water pitcher. It removes the bad taste as a bonus!
Same here. We use Zero Water at home and Brita on the camper. We think Zero Water has superior taste but can't find one small enough - or shaped right - to fit camper fridge.

Our Zero Water pitcher has a tap at the bottom of the handle, so don't have to take it out of the fridge to get a cold drink.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #47

Use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+extern...b_sb_ss_i_1_13

I don't though. If the water smells/tastes funny when at hookups we don't drink it and use bottled water for coffee but if it tastes OK we do. We don't have a filter at home aside from the one replaceable one in the refer.
nayther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The inline blue filters often do little more than keep any sand out of the water and keeps your tank free of sediment.
And that is pretty much all I use them for. They take out big chunks of impurity point five if I recall
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #49

As 5picker says, commercial campgrounds are required, almost everywhere, to regularly test water. It may be safe to drink but there can be other issues with it. We have always used water from the tank for drinking and all other uses in the rv. When the tank is filled from our home's city water at the start of a trip, the factory installed filter is replaced with a high quality paper filter. When it's time to refill the tank, an inline filter is located between the hydrant and the hose and the paper filter is replaced with a carbon block filter. I have a water hardness tester and use it to determine when the mineral content of a campground water supply isn't acceptable to me. I've found very few campgrounds that have this problem.

The fill up from the house is chlorinated water that has, so far, been effective in preventing the green stuff from growing in the water tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water