Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Using Propane Gas to Cool Refrigerator

I have a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS - If I don't have access to electric Hookup and I want to start cooling my refrig. (takes 24 hrs to cool prior to loading food & leaving I am told) before I leave for a trip, can I use my propane to do it? Must I leave the Master Battery Switch on then turn on propane tank? Will that in any way run down the battery if I leave both on for 24 hrs? Advice would be helpful - I am newcomer to RV world!
brmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

While on propane, the fridge uses 12 volt DC battery power. You should be ok for a 2-3 days on pure battery power. The camper has other 12 volt battery draw that also depletes the battery over time.

If you are truly concerned about your battery(ies), then here is what I'd do.

Get a cheap Harbor Freight 2 stroke generator. There are coupons in most men's magazines (this month's Snowgoer magazine) for the 800 watt 2 stroke generator at $89.00

Before I got solar, I'd go out every 3-4 weeks, fill the tank up with a 32:1 fuel/oil mixture, fire up the generator and let it run for 10 hours to top off the batteries.

Having a backup generator is also a pretty good practice. This tiny one won't run the microwave or hot water heater but will charge your batteries and run your fridge on Alternating Current.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
While on propane, the fridge uses 12 volt DC battery power. You should be ok for a 2-3 days on pure battery power. The camper has other 12 volt battery draw that also depletes the battery over time.

If you are truly concerned about your battery(ies), then here is what I'd do.

Get a cheap Harbor Freight 2 stroke generator. There are coupons in most men's magazines (this month's Snowgoer magazine) for the 800 watt 2 stroke generator at $89.00

Before I got solar, I'd go out every 3-4 weeks, fill the tank up with a 32:1 fuel/oil mixture, fire up the generator and let it run for 10 hours to top off the batteries.

Having a backup generator is also a pretty good practice. This tiny one won't run the microwave or hot water heater but will charge your batteries and run your fridge on Alternating Current.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Learning a lot as I go...

Watch for level when you have the fridge on... they need to be either level or moving.

We just plug in an extension cord and let it run on 110v at home a bit. But really only a bit because our street is way NOT level.

We load it up with frozen water bottles for a few hours before loading it up with food. And we load it with food shortly before we launch.

We found a large blue ice that we put in the freezer.

Personally rather than buy a generator I would buy a solar panel setup to keep the battery charged. How long the battery will run things depends on the battery and how much is running. I would not blindly trust the battery for more than a couple days unattended. I think mine was dead after a week with nothing really turned on when I forgot to hit the disconnect switch when storing once.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmahoney View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS - If I don't have access to electric Hookup and I want to start cooling my refrig. (takes 24 hrs to cool prior to loading food & leaving I am told) before I leave for a trip, can I use my propane to do it? Must I leave the Master Battery Switch on then turn on propane tank? Will that in any way run down the battery if I leave both on for 24 hrs? Advice would be helpful - I am newcomer to RV world!
I'm not sure if the master battery switch is connected to the fridge. I know mine does not disconnect the slides or level up system. It mainly disconnects the appliances that have LED's such as radio, co detector etc. these slowly bleed the battery down.

The way to tell is leave to use the switch to disconnect the battery, turn on your fridge with the button up top of the door and press auto or gas and open the door to see if the light comes on...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
Watch for level when you have the fridge on... they need to be either level or moving.

We just plug in an extension cord and let it run on 110v at home a bit. But really only a bit because our street is way NOT level.

We load it up with frozen water bottles for a few hours before loading it up with food. And we load it with food shortly before we launch.

We found a large blue ice that we put in the freezer.

Personally rather than buy a generator I would buy a solar panel setup to keep the battery charged. How long the battery will run things depends on the battery and how much is running. I would not blindly trust the battery for more than a couple days unattended. I think mine was dead after a week with nothing really turned on when I forgot to hit the disconnect switch when storing once.
Thanks for the Info!
Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I'm not sure if the master battery switch is connected to the fridge. I know mine does not disconnect the slides or level up system. It mainly disconnects the appliances that have LED's such as radio, co detector etc. these slowly bleed the battery down.

The way to tell is leave to use the switch to disconnect the battery, turn on your fridge with the button up top of the door and press auto or gas and open the door to see if the light comes on...
Thanks for the Info!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Learning a lot as I go...

BTW dug it out and the gadget we use (in addition to frozen water bottles) is a "Kooler Kube". You can get them at Camping World and Wal-Mart for about $15. Cheap as RV gadgets go

YMMV on master disconnect... mine is up front under the propane tanks and does cut off *everything* (as it should IMHO).
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

You will drain your batteries if you precool your Frig. If you are at home, why wouldn't you plug into an extension cord? That way your batteries are at 100% and you have a cold fridge?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
You will drain your batteries if you precool your Frig. If you are at home, why wouldn't you plug into an extension cord? That way your batteries are at 100% and you have a cold fridge?
I agree, but, the OP may not have access to electricity.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmahoney View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2500TS - If I don't have access to electric Hookup and I want to start cooling my refrig. (takes 24 hrs to cool prior to loading food & leaving I am told) before I leave for a trip, can I use my propane to do it?
Yes, you can.
Quote:
Must I leave the Master Battery Switch on then turn on propane tank?
Yes, that is what you do. Then turn on the fridge to "Auto."
Quote:
Will that in any way run down the battery if I leave both on for 24 hrs?
Yes, it will, but not by much in 24 hrs. The biggest draw on the fridge is the defrost strip between the doors. They used to have a switch to control it, but nowadays the strip is automatically on when the fridge is on. Your propane detector is on also.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

You have to be aware of your battery level before you turn it on. In my Wildcat, I need the disconnect switch ON for it to work. If your units been sitting for weeks or months (even with disconnect on) the battery level may be low before you even start. If you can use a battery tender (small solar perhaps) then you might be ok to start.

Don't forget to make sure you have good propane flow. With my tanks turned off in storage when I'm ready to hit the road, I usually turn the tanks on and then go in the trailer and try and light the stove burners. You only need to see that the flame comes on each of them for just a second. Make sure you turn them all off then (don't worry about testing the oven). Your refrig indicator should then show it's running on gas.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane, refrigerator