Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
gate

Wink using your awning

after looking through the photo gallery i noticed many campers especially in the very hot and sunny climates dont seem to have their awnings extended. is there a reason for this? is the sunlight to damaging to the fabrick? just wondering.
gate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #2

I try to get the shady spots next to trees. Also when it's windy it stays put.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

Like Greg said here in Michigan we have to be extremely carefull
at our state park we have some pretty good winds
and I would rather retract it.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #4

Ours has stayed put until this current camping trip because we had "Awning Intimidation". LOL It was raining the day we picked up our TT and so we only had a quick run-through, and have been afraid that if we tried to extend it we'd REALLY mess it up! Fortunately, there are several Cherokee owners were we are and one of them was nice enough to show us how to bring it out and put it back up..
CubFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

our 1st 5'er we bought used and really didn't know much about anything........

on our 1st big trip we stopped at a state park midway to the final destination and it was pretty sparsely populated so I decided to try and figure out how to bring the awning out.

3 hours later it was up

ah the memories.......................................... ............
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #6

New to TT, but have had popup and MH. We used the awning all the time. One of the first things we do. Last thing we put up.
choice spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #7

Awnigs are nice. Can go out or in probably in a couple of minutes with two people, But

1. make sure to slant front left end or right end down for good drainage, to prevent water gathering in the middle and creating a very heavy water weight load( at 8 lb/gal collected across an 18 or 21 foot long awning, very heavy if improperly sloped), it will cause the awning matl to tear in the middle like it was cut with a pair of scissors.

2. always return awning to stored position if leaving your camp site for any lengthy period of time, more than a couple of hours or when you know high weather, rainy conditions exist. you can buy a cheap weather radio for less than 15 bucks, well worth the money. last year we were in a camp ground where unexpected strong winds arose, tearing off 100 awnings in our campground. we left for a couple of hours and when we returned our awning was hanging off the rear of our HTT, a big mess, some holes in various parts of our camper and the awning totally destroyed. Over $2000 damage, 6 weeks, but thankfully insurance paid it all, minus deductable.

3. using side clips on the awning and screw/rope tie downs are ok, but we had these on ours and it still was ripped off, best idea is to slant one front corner down for drainage and secure the awning to its retracted postion against camper, if there is a hint of bad weather or you are leaving your campsite, putting up at night also not a bad idea. Also, if you have greater than about 16- 18 ft long awning, a center support to support the tube from bending during travel is wise. All this operation of your awning makes one very familiar with it and makes the movement in and out quicker.

following these suggestions will help you enjoy your awning and it is a real blessing to provide shade from sun. failure to follow them can result in high repair expenses, probably over 2000, depending on collateral damage from the awning damage.

have a nice camping experience

phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Good advice Phil. We use ours constantly but always stow it at night or if leaving the campground for more than a few minutes or at the first sign of big wind. Here on the bay, a handful of campers lose their awnings every year. We like it right where it is... attached.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #9

We camp a lot at the beach and the sea breezes can be rough on the awnings even with tie downs. The few times I have left mine up over night I end up getting up in the night to roll it up either due to high winds or a storm coming in.

When we go to the mountains, the shade there is enough without using the awning.

When we go to other areas, we usually leave the awning up while we are away, and roll it out once we come in for the night. In these areas, we usually keep it out overnight.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #10

we use ours ALOT
but lik eit was mentioned, if we leave the park for a day trip , it goes back into the stowed position
and if we expect odd weather at night it goes back into stowed
but i have left it out for weeks, used the awning starps to pull some tension to the ground and it has done very well in breezes up to 15 or so
over that it goes back up

nothing like instant shade in those treeless rv parks
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
We don't extend the awning too much at the seasonal site. There are so many shady Oak trees...we don't need it much. I don't like to use it for rain...unless I'm just sitting under it for awhile. I put it up when I go in.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #12

Hmm.. I have one of those new fangled power awnings. Thought it was going to be a sweet deal.. but it doesnt tilt for proper drainage and it kinda loose so theres no way one could `over` extend it or even fasten the clips on it.
Just thought i`d throw my two cense in also. The trailer has a doctors apt. in about an hour so hopefully when it returns i can have a couple of happy posts here!!!!!!
Joel
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning