Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Venting! No, its not about vents.

On another forum, I noticed a thread complaining about campfires in campgrounds. Campfires! Weiner-cooking, smore-making, beer-drinking-around campfires! Several writers were whining (and wheezing I suppose) about how campfires (campfire smoke specifically) ruin camping in their view. Now I'm as sensitive as the next guy but Jeez.

Anyway, I was wondering how the members here - being sensible FR owners -feel about the subject. Are you in love with campfires and that slight haze that settles on a campground on a still evening or are you a commie? (Hmmm, that last part of the question could maybe affect open discussion so skip that part, k?)

Soooo, What do you think? Are you for them or 'cough cough' against 'em?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #2

Definetly for them!

Only thing I hate is smelling the smoke on
our clothes when loading them into the
washing machine after a recent trip. Ugh.

Nina

P.S. Camping is not camping without a C A M P F I R E !
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #3

Hi!!! and thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
RAC

Makes me want to build my fires bigger.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Unfair question....I'm a Firefighter! I HATE FIRE!

Ok, I like a campfire like the next guy. HOWEVER, when people start burning things OTHER than wood, (or food)...it pisses me off. The smoke is toxic enough without adding all kinds of other stuff to the mix.

Yea, sometimes the smoke blows right into my trailer. Yea, sometimes those people sitting around that fire tossing back beers keeps me awake. But, it's a campground...and it's all in the name of fun.

Campfires are ok in my book. Just keep it to WOOD!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
RAC

Speaking of other things in a fire. Growing up on the Beaches of Cali, we used to "steal" pallets from grocery stores, Go to Huntington Beach and burn them, then toss on a VW block......ahhh the brightness of magnesium as it burns.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

Fires are both OK and not.

Warm and cheery, smore making, social engine that also cooks your food.

On the other hand,

1. Keep your kids from throwing everything they can find that lays down thick toxic smoke or explodes into the fire. Nothing like an 8 year old pyromanic to ruin it for everybody.

2. Since the fire is a social engine, could we not have one for every 6 to 10 RVs? Does everybody need their own fire? Gather around a community fire and meet some folks.

3. Can you burn seasoned wood and not that green crap you just cut out of what used to be a lush forest? And we can leave that pressure treated stuff at home, too.

4. A campfire is not hot enough to consume metal cans. If you throw your bean and beer cans into the fire, be so kind as to clean up your mess in the morning.

5. It's 102 deg in Atlanta today. Do you really need a campfire?

All in all, all things in moderation. So I guess my motto is: Campfires don't anoy their neighbors, IDIOTS DO!

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Unfair question....I'm a Firefighter! I HATE FIRE!

Ok, I like a campfire like the next guy. HOWEVER, when people start burning things OTHER than wood, (or food)...it pisses me off. The smoke is toxic enough without adding all kinds of other stuff to the mix.

Yea, sometimes the smoke blows right into my trailer. Yea, sometimes those people sitting around that fire tossing back beers keeps me awake. But, it's a campground...and it's all in the name of fun.

Campfires are ok in my book. Just keep it to WOOD!
oh you mean like stupid folks tossing empty beer cans in the fire and my favorites the glass bottles, and the packaging it came in
yep real dumb arses

plain old wood does just fine for creating a nice atmosphere
Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

On the other hand,

Keep your kids from throwing everything they can find that lays down thick toxic smoke or explodes into the fire. Nothing like an 8 year old pyromanic to ruin it for everybody.

Can you burn seasoned wood and not that green crap you just cut out of what used to be a lush forest? And we can leave that pressure treated stuff at home, too.

A campfire is not hot enough to consume metal cans. If you throw your bean and beer cans into the fire, be so kind as to clean up your mess in the morning.

All in all, all things in moderation. So I guess my motto is: Campfires don't anoy their neighbors, IDIOTS DO!

Radio

Good points Radio.
I'm all for Camp fires, and think it's a manditory part of an outing.
To each their own, but I am against trash fires in campgrounds.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Like most things camping, having a campfire is a matter of common sense and courtesy. I have a fire on most evenings, but not at the expense of others. Let me put it this way; if some x#z@& who is upwind of me builds a fire which causes me to have to retreat inside from under my awning and close all the windows, I'm gonna get 'im. Campfires may be permitted and he may have the right to have one, but I have the right to enjoy my site free from acts of commission or omission perpetrated by others. That includes smoke, loud noise, barking dogs, screaming children, etc, etc. In other words, keep your "stuff" on your own lot - not on mine!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #11

Why don't we build a big 'ole fire & sit around teaching some alcohol based beverages to like being empty and discuss this in more detail?!?
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #12

Well I'm all for that last idea. And you've all made great points too. Certainly burning PT wood, garbage, dogs, small children, etc is irritating even for those who do like a good fire.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I thought this post would turn into one of those....HOW DO I CHANGE THE COLOR OF THE FLAMES posts... where they throw all kinds of toxic crap into the fire to make different colored flames while assaulting our lungs with chemicals....

That always gets me stirred up...

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #14

I guess camping is life and we need to revisit the Golden Rule.
No campfire, no life.

JR
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #15

I like a good fire. But I agree with not burning your trash, that's what the dumpsters are for.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #16

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Well I'm all for that last idea. And you've all made great points too. Certainly burning PT wood, garbage, dogs, small children, etc is irritating even for those who do like a good fire.
Welshman, I like a good campfire also, but have never added some of the items you mention above, ie: dogs and small children!

!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, I've been giggling since reading it yesterday!

Karen
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #17

My thought, if you can't have a CAMPfire why camp. As long as WOOD is the only thing that is burned.
hippie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rthrbcmpin View Post
Welshman, I like a good campfire also, but have never added some of the items you mention above, ie: dogs and small children!

!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, I've been giggling since reading it yesterday!

Karen
Well Karen, I'm glad SOMEONE thought that list was weird!! Thanks.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Like most things camping, having a campfire is a matter of common sense and courtesy. I have a fire on most evenings, but not at the expense of others. Let me put it this way; if some x#z@& who is upwind of me builds a fire which causes me to have to retreat inside from under my awning and close all the windows, I'm gonna get 'im. Campfires may be permitted and he may have the right to have one, but I have the right to enjoy my site free from acts of commission or omission perpetrated by others. That includes smoke, loud noise, barking dogs, screaming children, etc, etc. In other words, keep your "stuff" on your own lot - not on mine!
Camping has always been about being out and having fires to cook on and to enjoy. So, as with tv, movies, etc., if you don't like you can make a choice to not go camping where this type of activity may exist. I agree with barking dogs and loud noises, but kids will be kids, I was one and I had one, all a part of growing up.

I think you need one of those RV Resorts that ban or bar, fires, kids, dogs and loud music!!

JMHO.........

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #20
RAC

I Know Richard personally Paul, and I assure you he wasn't inferring he didn't want any of those things. He just wants people who enjoy those kinds of things to enjoy them, but to be considerate of others. Kids having fun and running around is a whole lot different than out of control kids with absentee parents not monitoring what their kids are doing. I know Richard doesn't need any of those resorts, he has dogs, he loves my kids, and we hang out at the camp fire together. We just do it so as not to impose on someone elses good time.