Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

Verizon hot spot

I have been using my hotspot from Verizon for the past month so my little great granddaughter can stream Pepa Pig and Paw Partrol on my iPhone. I think I have burnt up the battery in my iPhone, my battery dies quickly now. No one ever told me you couldn’t stream data all the time with your hotspot. I was going to buy a Jetpack from Verizon today as I have unlimited data and come to find out I had to purchase beyond unlimited data. The Verizon store told me I couldn’t use the hotspot with unlimited data, well I could but I noticed that the speed was slower. I guess now I have to call Apple and tell them my battery dies to fast, I have AppleCare. I was told that after the battery is charged up on the Jetpack to take out the battery. I never gave any thought to over charging the battery.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

Spock, I bought my Jetpack used on Amazon for about $49. Took it to Verizon to get it activated ($20). It costs $20 per month and you can have it turned off when your camping season is over. It allows 15 gigs of data then is reduced to 3G and you should get an alert in your text messages when you reach 90%

As long as you only use it a few days a month for streaming video you should be good.

When I exceed mine I start using my phone for a hot spot but do keep it plugged in as it sucks the battery down.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

So. I have a tab, that I paid about 200 for. Non replaceable battery. That's going south. The battery charges maybe between 2 and 3 years worth. So I got a Kindle 8. 49 bucks. Good enough. Plus I have T-mobile 2 lines, unlimited everything. 80 a month. Yes it slows with alot of data, but it gives me a Hotspot too. I'm on wifi at home, Hotspot at the camper. You guys are making this too hard.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

I use a tablet for my electric logs. I used my old s4 as a mobile hot spot but it was really draining the battery. Since I already have the Beyond Unlimited plan I got a jet pack and it was incredibly inexpensive and works great. I have been with Verizon for over 10 years so they classify me as a vip customer. With a 2 year commitment I got free activation, line fee is $7 a month and the jet pack for 0.99. Yes. 99 cents. Some kind of November promotion. The jet pack seems to work pretty darn good.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have been using my hotspot from Verizon for the past month so my little great granddaughter can stream Pepa Pig and Paw Partrol on my iPhone. I think I have burnt up the battery in my iPhone, my battery dies quickly now. No one ever told me you couldn’t stream data all the time with your hotspot. I was going to buy a Jetpack from Verizon today as I have unlimited data and come to find out I had to purchase beyond unlimited data. The Verizon store told me I couldn’t use the hotspot with unlimited data, well I could but I noticed that the speed was slower. I guess now I have to call Apple and tell them my battery dies to fast, I have AppleCare. I was told that after the battery is charged up on the Jetpack to take out the battery. I never gave any thought to over charging the battery.
I don't think the streaming burn't up your battery, only because we have been streaming video using my iPhone as a hotspot for the last 18 months and my iPhone 6s is fine. Not only streaming but probably 4 or 5 days a week, it is used as a hotspot all day long, (10-12 hours straight as the main internet connection for the kids and DW). Maybe there is an App running in the background eating at your battery life or the battery was going to die no matter what. Just what I have experienced with mine.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I use a tablet for my electric logs. I used my old s4 as a mobile hot spot but it was really draining the battery. Since I already have the Beyond Unlimited plan I got a jet pack and it was incredibly inexpensive and works great. I have been with Verizon for over 10 years so they classify me as a vip customer. With a 2 year commitment I got free activation, line fee is $7 a month and the jet pack for 0.99. Yes. 99 cents. Some kind of November promotion. The jet pack seems to work pretty darn good.

What’s the number on your Jetpack.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I don't think the streaming burn't up your battery, only because we have been streaming video using my iPhone as a hotspot for the last 18 months and my iPhone 6s is fine. Not only streaming but probably 4 or 5 days a week, it is used as a hotspot all day long, (10-12 hours straight as the main internet connection for the kids and DW). Maybe there is an App running in the background eating at your battery life or the battery was going to die no matter what. Just what I have experienced with mine.

It doesn’t seem like any one thing is using up my battery as I have checked the apps. Anyway I had Verizon turn on a iPhone 6 Plus that I had so great granddaughter will have a working phone she can surf the web with, it’s what I should have done first. Now she has 22 gigs of data or more of cellular data to play with. DW has the same and me too. Then the new Jetpack has 15 gigs to use to check emails and buy stuff off the web. Come to think of it I could have not needed the Jetpack but I didn’t need to use my hotspot a lot. I brought a iPad mini 4, WiFi only to check on maps while on the road plus granddaughter can use it some. It’s only ten bucks a month plus the hotspot on beyond unlimited is 4G instead of 3G on go unlimited, at least for 15 gigs of data. I plan on canceling my internet at home as it’s to slow
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

We've been using a jetpack for a few years now on Verizon. Use it for internet on the road, streaming videos on Amazon and now running our Streaming box in the road. We do not have unlimited becuase we have 30gigs of data and have never even gotten close, even when we "lived" in the camper for 2 weeks.

We had been using our phones but it did zonk the battery quicker and the phones tended to get a bit warm.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #9

Lord my little granddaughter and me too used 48 gigs last month, mostly her. She was looking at YouTube, Pepa Pig and Paw Patrol. I have just turned on a old iPhone for her. Alls good, I only have one granddaughter and we keep her a lot, our grandson lives a ways off and we don’t see him that much. We have a older grandson but we won’t go there. My MacBook Pro is kinda big to look at when we are on the road so DW can now look at the iPad when we are driving.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Lord my little granddaughter and me too used 48 gigs last month, mostly her. She was looking at YouTube, Pepa Pig and Paw Patrol. I have just turned on a old iPhone for her. Alls good, I only have one granddaughter and we keep her a lot, our grandson lives a ways off and we don’t see him that much. We have a older grandson but we won’t go there. My MacBook Pro is kinda big to look at when we are on the road so DW can now look at the iPad when we are driving.

On iPhone go to Settings and scroll down to Battery. It will show you what is using your battery for last 24 hours or for 7 days.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #11

Just curious here but about how many gigs of hotspot data does most people on this site use. I thought the battery on my iPhone may have a problem running the hotspot a lot so I purchased a Jetpack to use with 15 gigs of hotspot data. I’m still in the same spot as I was with just the iPhone. Is there anyway I can transfer the hotspot data from my iPhone to my Jetpack? Now I have four devices and sixty gigs of hotspot data. Cellular data on Verizon is 22 gigs per phone, I don’t get throttled back where I live at, in the sticks. So far me and granddaughter has used over 90 gigs of hotspot data and cellular data so far this month with one day to go
Old 12-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #12

Can't speak to an I-Phone, but with my Verizon account and Android, my wife's phone, my phone, and the Jet Pack all share the 20 gigs I have with my package. Maybe stop into a Verizon store and ask. Perhaps a setting?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Can't speak to an I-Phone, but with my Verizon account and Android, my wife's phone, my phone, and the Jet Pack all share the 20 gigs I have with my package. Maybe stop into a Verizon store and ask. Perhaps a setting?
Rusty
We have 30 gigs total. We lived for 2 weeks on the road using it for internet and kid stuff and still had plenty left at the end if the month. We run a stream box as well.

Depending on what you do with the data, we purchase our daughters shows on DVD when they are on sale cheap. I then make them digital and carry a hard drive to play her shows from there as well. Helps when the data sucks

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
HOT SPOT

I have 2 phones and a Jet Pack on the Verizon system, I purchased the Jet Pack along with 3 Gigs. I already had 3 Gigs with the two phones. When I got the Jet Pack all the Gigs were combined together for the phones and
Pack for 6 gigs. I only use the Jet Pack when we travel. I do not do any streaming. So therefore I usually have at least 2-3 gigs left over when traveling.

But it really depends on how much I'm on the internet or web!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote