Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #1

VHS Formate Phasing out

I had heard that the VHS moves are going to be phased out this year, anyone else hear that?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

Taken from Wikipidia:

"By 2006, most major film studios stopped releasing new movie titles in VHS format, opting for DVD-only releases. Many leading retailers have stopped selling pre-recorded movies on VHS, although VHS prerecorded cassettes are still popular with many collectors, mainly because there are thousands of titles that are still unavailable on DVD or other newer formats. In developing countries, the VHS is still a major medium to distribute home video. On December 23, 2008, the last major supplier of VHS tapes, Distribution Video Audio Inc. of Palm Harbor, Florida, shipped its final truckload."

CDs are not far behind. The enormous popularity of the Apple Ipod and other MP3 players along with MP3 downloads is killing the CD industry as well. I no longer have a "CD" player in my Jeep, it instead has an SD card slot that I insert a memory card into with MP3s on it. No more skipping while on a bumpy back road or trail and much less susceptible to dust and dirt (huge problems for CD player in a Jeep).
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Taken from Wikipidia:

"By 2006, most major film studios stopped releasing new movie titles in VHS format, opting for DVD-only releases. Many leading retailers have stopped selling pre-recorded movies on VHS, although VHS prerecorded cassettes are still popular with many collectors, mainly because there are thousands of titles that are still unavailable on DVD or other newer formats. In developing countries, the VHS is still a major medium to distribute home video. On December 23, 2008, the last major supplier of VHS tapes, Distribution Video Audio Inc. of Palm Harbor, Florida, shipped its final truckload."

CDs are not far behind. The enormous popularity of the Apple Ipod and other MP3 players along with MP3 downloads is killing the CD industry as well. I no longer have a "CD" player in my Jeep, it instead has an SD card slot that I insert a memory card into with MP3s on it. No more skipping while on a bumpy back road or trail and much less susceptible to dust and dirt (huge problems for CD player in a Jeep).
NWJeeper, thanks for the info I though that the CD was going to take over now that BLU-RAY was out. And now that I think about it, my GPS is an MP3 player as well. I don't know about anyone else but I still have an 8 track tape player that still works and two cases of 8 tracks...That tells you how old I am. My brother has his first reel to reel recorder...and you may think thats funny but reel to reel is still being used, where I work the IMAX theater uses reel to reel and it is a monster size. If anyone has an intrest, and if IMAX will allow me to take a pic of there reel to reel I well post it. Thanks again for the info...
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

I'm not sure why I have heard lately from a few people that Blu-Ray is out...

"During the format war over high-definition optical discs, Blu-ray Disc competed with the HD DVD format. On February 19, 2008, Toshiba—the main company supporting HD DVD—announced that it would no longer develop, manufacture, or market HD DVD players and recorders,[2] leading almost all other HD DVD companies to follow suit, effectively ending the format war.

Blu-ray Disc was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association, a group representing makers of consumer electronics, computer hardware, and motion pictures. As of December 21, 2008, more than 890 Blu-ray disc titles are available in Australia, more than 720 Blu-ray Disc titles are available in Japan, more than 1140 Blu-ray Disc titles are available in the United Kingdom, and more than 1220 Blu-ray Disc titles are available in the United States.[3][4][5]"

This is also from Wikipedia. HD-DVD is out and Blu-ray is in.

DH
DW
DD-98
DD-01
4yr. old Happy Camping Dalmation Mix
2002 GMC Yukon XL (Behemoth)
2008 Surveyor SV235RKS
Previously - 1998 Coleman Niagara PUP
https://community.webshots.com/user/lacmprs
lacmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

One thing about Blu-Ray is that the disc is 50 gigs so more info can be recorded on it for improved picture and sound , the HD dvd is 40 gigs and a standard is only 9 gigs. The reason I heard that HD dvd were stopped is because someone in Hollywood decided to go with Blu-Ray because it was the best on the market and HD dvd's could not match it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
NWJeeper, thanks for the info I though that the CD was going to take over now that BLU-RAY was out. And now that I think about it, my GPS is an MP3 player as well. I don't know about anyone else but I still have an 8 track tape player that still works and two cases of 8 tracks...That tells you how old I am. My brother has his first reel to reel recorder...and you may think thats funny but reel to reel is still being used, where I work the IMAX theater uses reel to reel and it is a monster size. If anyone has an intrest, and if IMAX will allow me to take a pic of there reel to reel I well post it. Thanks again for the info...
Reel to reel if i'm not mistaken is still an analog (not digital) format like LPs and therefore is really better quality for sound. Digital sound is always just a close approximation of the true sine wave form. However the higher the bit rate or "sampling" the closer digital comes to the original sine. Therefore to get as good a quality from a digital recording from an analog source the data file size has to be enormous. For most of us MP3s in the 120 bit range sounds pretty close to perfect but those who have the "audiophile" ear can tell the difference.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Reel to reel if i'm not mistaken is still an analog (not digital) format like LPs and therefore is really better quality for sound. Digital sound is always just a close approximation of the true sine wave form. However the higher the bit rate or "sampling" the closer digital comes to the original sine. Therefore to get as good a quality from a digital recording from an analog source the data file size has to be enormous. For most of us MP3s in the 120 bit range sounds pretty close to perfect but those who have the "audiophile" ear can tell the difference.
What do "audiophile" ears look like, do they look like RCA Victoria label with the Dalmatian dog?