Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Added features? Bluetooth, switched relay, Peukert corrections?
Battery history like number of cycles, time remaining before charge necessary, low temp warning, high voltage warning, automatic sync to 100% at full charge, alarm for out of user set parameters, full backlight control (like totally off when you want), ability to network with same brand solar controller (Victron) and about 40 other often useful features.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #22
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Battery history like number of cycles, time remaining before charge necessary, low temp warning, high voltage warning, automatic sync to 100% at full charge, alarm for out of user set parameters, full backlight control (like totally off when you want), ability to network with same brand solar controller (Victron) and about 40 other often useful features.
Absolutely. My meter does automatically sync to 100% at full charge and I can turn off the backlight, as noted previously, but none of the added features you highlighted.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Absolutely. My meter does automatically sync to 100% at full charge and I can turn off the backlight, as noted previously, but none of the added features you highlighted.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash the less expensive meter. The first post on it merely implied that it did most of what the more expensive meters did and that statement comes up a little short.

Perhaps enough for some but like everything else, not enough for those who want to monitor more closely.

In a sense it's the same argument as a fully instrumented dash panel versus a couple of "idiot lights". Strike that and make it "warning lights".

Old 11-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #24

Super helpful. I'll look more closely on how to change the display. I thought I remembered reading in the instructions that a flashing display indicated incorrect installation, but it all seemed to work, so I was baffled. This discussion has been helpful. There are obviously some knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread.
tingefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:27 AM   #25
2012 Solera

A link to the instructions:
https://static.wixstatic.com/ugd/659...d054b065ff.pdf

See “Product Operation”, section 3:
“When the charge current is higher than ‘back-light on current’, the back-light will be blinking”.

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #26

For simple monitoring that offers more info than the 4 LEDs on the OEM control panel, its great value. I installed one in my trailer last week. Its not fancy and does not account for somethings, but its better than not having one at all.
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #27

The Victron 712 smart provides bluetooth access as well as alert and relay functions. If all you want is a digital reference for state of charge, dpend $45 . I have tested Victron and lesser brands. Victron is the Bentley. The others are golf cart level monitors.

Battchief
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battchief View Post
The Victron 712 smart provides bluetooth access as well as alert and relay functions. If all you want is a digital reference for state of charge, dpend $45 . I have tested Victron and lesser brands. Victron is the Bentley. The others are golf cart level monitors.

Battchief
I guess theyre OK if you don't mind risking having to finish your game from the14th hole on foot.[emoji16]

Old 11-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #29

Yes
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Found this battery monitor for $45 . Looks like it does everything the victron does only for a lot less. Or am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGFFHC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for posting this information! I've been trying to buy a GE +50 to -50 amp ammeter with external shunt to monitor 'phantom' battery drain in a Lincoln Towncar when parked and all systems are 'asleep'. The unit shown in your link to Amazon is an absolute gem for what I want, plus it's a voltmeter, amount of charge indicator, etc. to boot! Didn't know this type of meter even existed" Thanks again!
RAY GIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #31
JCR

I installed one and I calibrated my gauge to 100% after batteries were fully charged. I have used them down to 84%.I could never get them to charge back to 100%.. Most they ever could get back to was 94%. I dont know why ?
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Found this battery monitor for $45 . Looks like it does everything the victron does only for a lot less. Or am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGFFHC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I have it and I love it. Of course it's not as good as the high price spread. But it works for me, much better than meters or lights.
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GIB View Post
Thank you for posting this information! I've been trying to buy a GE +50 to -50 amp ammeter with external shunt to monitor 'phantom' battery drain in a Lincoln Towncar when parked and all systems are 'asleep'. The unit shown in your link to Amazon is an absolute gem for what I want, plus it's a voltmeter, amount of charge indicator, etc. to boot! Didn't know this type of meter even existed" Thanks again!
If you're looking for a diagnostic tool to chase down a phantom power drain one of these would be more practical. Less money too.

$39 on Amazon

Old 11-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I installed one and I calibrated my gauge to 100% after batteries were fully charged. I have used them down to 84%.I could never get them to charge back to 100%.. Most they ever could get back to was 94%. I dont know why ?
Perhaps when you first charged to 100% a significant surface charge existed when you calibrated the meter. Later, if using a different charger, or an alternator, that surface charge may not appear, or if there's any drain surface charges dissipate quickly.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #35
JCR

Thanks , so should I re calibrate .the meter to 100%.. The batteries have been unused and on the RV converter. I assume they are now 100% even though the meter says 94 %?
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #36

I got this one for $18, simple to install and works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PKYILS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #37

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question with confidence. If the batteries have been on the converter and unused they are probably charged as much as they can be within that system. They would be at 100% for that installation. I have found that leaving the batteries on the converter for extended periods will require checking of the electrolyte often and filling each cell to the bottom of its vent cap with DISTILLED water. Of course, this only applies to flooded batteries.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #38

If I had one of these meters and it only showed a partial charge after days or weeks on a charge I think I'd recalibrate and see if the problem recurred.

I see only one of two possibilities, well maybe three.

1. Initial calibration wasn't accurate

2. If it was, meter is defective.

3. This may well be one of the limitations in the design.

FWIW, just assuming batteries (Flooded Lead Acid) are fully charged could be a wrong assumption. Testing with a hydrometer might reveal a bad cell limiting total capacity and since this type meter relies heavily on voltage for it's calc's yields an inaccurate capacity.

I'd try recalibrating and see if there is any change. Then decide.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #39

How did we ever maintain batteries in the "old days" without all the mumbo-jumbo.

If you want to spend all that extra money, feel free, but no monitoring is going to maintain your batteries. A good battery charger and being certain you don't over-discharge your batteries is what counts. A simple volt-amp meter and checking the water level is all that's needed.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWJ View Post
How did we ever maintain batteries in the "old days" without all the mumbo-jumbo.

If you want to spend all that extra money, feel free, but no monitoring is going to maintain your batteries. A good battery charger and being certain you don't over-discharge your batteries is what counts. A simple volt-amp meter and checking the water level is all that's needed.
I don't disagree with much of what you say but I think you're overlooking the main point of more modern and technical equipment. That's that it tells you far more accurately how much battery you have left. Fewer nights of going to bed thinking the furnace will be able to run all night only to wake in the dark wee hours shivering.

Also lets you know when batteries are really charged fully and the generator can be shut down rather than running it all day.

No, the modern equipment won't do the necessary maintenance. That's still on the owner.

Now if one chooses modern lithium batteries an old school battery monitor is pretty much useless. The ones that work will cost more.

Just another fact of life.

BTW, in the real old days cars used to have cranks on the front bumper to start the engines. Today you don't even need a key. Progress.

Tags
battery