Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Video Surveillance — What’s Your Opinion?

I can understand the need for some campgrounds to have video cameras placed at certain places on their property to protect their interests and, possibly, for the safety of their customers — I’m not talking about this here.

What I am talking about is personal video surveillance, particularly on a seasonal site next to me. My next door neighbor has placed video surveillance cameras on the outside of his new park model which are connected to the campground’s WiFi, enabling him to see and record what’s going on at his site, and beyond, from anywhere in the world. At the main entrance, on the right side of the unit, there is a “Ring” video doorbell which is capable of alerting him and recording any movement when the set perimeter is triggered. It can also be set to record all of the time, and it can be activated for real time viewing (and listening) by him simply going to the app on his phone or computer; again, from anywhere in the world whenever he wants to take a look. This is just the “Ring” doorbell, though, and this system is also accompanied by more cameras on this unit to give a 360 degree (very high-definition) view (and sound) of everything going on around this unit, covering the goings-on of everything and everybody around it for a very long distance, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.

Why?

In all of the years I have been at this campground, I haven’t heard one report of theft, vandalism or violence while I have been here, or from before the time I came here. This is a very safe and quiet place.

My biggest problems with this is, the “Ring” doorbell camera part of his surveillance system is pointing directly into my large left-side living room window. I now have to keep my blinds down all of the time at that window, which really cuts down on the amount of sunlight in my RV, plus it is my dogs’ favorite window to sit at. Also, whenever I do anything on the left side of my RV, I am being recorded. If this guy is sitting at home (or Istanbul), every time I walk around to the left side of my camper, his phone will alert him that something is going on there and he will surely look to see what is going on. If he can’t do that right away — no problem — whatever I am doing will be recorded for him to view (and listen to) later. It’s not that I am doing anything wrong or embarrassing. I just feel violated. Wouldn’t you feel the same way?

I come to my campground to get away from the trappings of the city — the lights, the noise, the sirens, the ever-increasing ubiquitous surveillance. I come here for nature, peace, quiet and a little more privacy than I am afforded living in the DC Metro Area. This one campsite beside mine has pretty much defeated every one of those things, and this surveillance system is the icing on the cake.

I know people will tell me I should just talk to this guy to voice my concerns, but I know how this guy is, and I know he won’t care.

How do you feel about this? Are my opinions and feelings about this out of line? What would you do if you were me?

Bruce
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

Bruce, Are you on a seasonal site also ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

I agree. It's a bit creepy and unnerving.

He's probably got all that on his home and thought it would be a good idea to do it on his camper too.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #4

I would walk around buck naked. Let him view that a while!
Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Bruce, Are you on a seasonal site also ?
Yes, I am, and I love my site. Changing sites is not an option.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I would walk around buck naked. Let him view that a while!
LOL. I did mention that I don’t do anything embarrassing. For me, that would be embarrassing.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

video surveillance

Most of these type systems are triggered by motion and temperature changes ,just put up a large American flag on your lot in front of his camera and he can enjoy his freedom by checking his camera every time the flag moves. Eventually he will get tired of checking his camera and move it so not face your campsite.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
Most of these type systems are triggered by motion and temperature changes ,just put up a large American flag on your lot in front of his camera and he can enjoy his freedom by checking his camera every time the flag moves. Eventually he will get tired of checking his camera and move it so not face your campsite.
I like that one.. LOL

Duct tape works too.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
RV There Yet?

Part of my job is working with security systems and camera systems for my company. we install and configure the camera systems to cut out certain areas and only record motion. perhaps it would be best to talk to said neighbor about why they have them and what they can see. most will happily show them to you. nicely voice your concerns, see if they will work with you. RING has a neighborhood app. this neighbor could set it up to share info with you or anyone else about what is going on.

how far away is this neighbor from you? there is a limited range on the motion sensors for the RING doorbell.

some solutions:

be nice, remember they are people too, just trying to get through life and protect their property.

complain to the campground owner. this is going to use a LOT of bandwidth. we monitor our camera systems bandwidth and they all make a sizable impact on the speed available to everyone else trying to get on the WIFI. they really should have their own internet connection at their site.

you could see if the campground would let you put up a privacy fence/lattice.

create LOTS of motion for that ring doorbell. constant nuisance alerts and false alarms will either get him to re position it or ignore it, or it will have so much data being recorded its near useless. this is the biggest complaint we get with any camera system. a flag, wind chime, bird feeder, etc will make it record almost constantly.

infrared spotlight (not flood light) aimed at the camera. it will auto iris itself and make the picture almost unwatchable. a blinking spotlight (strobe works too) is better, usually triggers motion sensors. only cameras will pickup the infrared light, its not visible to the human eye so you wont be annoying anyone else.

just ignore it and go about your business. got a smart phone? its listening all the time. go out in public? you are being recorded more than you know. since you are in common "public" areas you no longer have any expectation to privacy when outdoors.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Infrared spotlight (not flood light) aimed at the camera. it will auto iris itself and make the picture almost unwatchable. a blinking spotlight (strobe works too) is better, usually triggers motion sensors. only cameras will pickup the infrared light, its not visible to the human eye so you wont be annoying anyone else.
IsleDog,

Thank you for all of your input.

Can you direct me with a link to they type of spotlight you are talking about, please? I looked online, but so many things come up that I am not sure which is the right one.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

For what it’s worth I have a ring system on my home also. I had to crop the view of the camera and motion sensors as they were picking up garage doors opening across the street and cars driving by. It was getting frustrating continually receiving alerts from my system while I was away and at home. I now have it adjusted so that only people walking up my sidewalk or within the immediate area of my home are detected. I have an idea that your neighbor will experience this frustration also and maybe crop or limit his area of detecting. I understand how frustrating this can be for you given how close your units are and the fact that he doesn’t sound like he will understand your concerns.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #12

Talk to the campground owners. If they get enough complaints they may say no videos Camara allowed.
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #13

Understand camera is pointed towards you rig, but do you KNOW he can see whats going on in the TT? HOw do you know? Just saying it might not be an issue really although I wouldnt like the idea either. Have you asked him to let you have a look at what he is picking up?

I personally wouldnt want his camera picking up my goings on outside the trailer but I have always tried to live by .... If I am not willing to confront a situation I kinda lose a right to complain....I would like to think there would be some kind of privacy laws preventing this but who knows, If you express your concerns he might make adjustments.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

You say he won't care, but IMO, if you don't at least raise the issue with him, you really have nothing to complain about.

Yes, you could cause nuisance alarms, blind his camera with IR light, report him to the campground, etc, but if you go and do all that without even so much as talking to the guy first, it kinda makes your beef with the whole situation less legitimate. Again, this is just IMO.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #15

Talking to him about the concern is probably the right thing to do.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

While I am not opposed to protecting my property, pretty much at any cost, I take extra care NOT to include the property of my neighbors. It's bad manners, if not possibly illegal to record other people's properties, even if it is open for viewing by the public as they walk past.
I would go with talking to the owners of the campground, because I agree he's got to be using a crapload of bandwidth. I have 8 cameras around my house, I can vouch firsthand on it.
Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Yes, I am, and I love my site. Changing sites is not an option.

Bruce
Just put on a dark hoodie when hes not there and walk over and stick a piece of duct tape over the lens. Chances are he lives far away and he may not drive all the way up just to check a camera. Or let CG know hes live streaming on the wifi and its slowing down the internet!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #18

Many of you are saying I should talk to the guy. With most people, this is what I would do, but in my original post I made a point of stating that this would do no good because I knew this would be the obvious first approach for most people, including me. This guy has a history at the campground of just doing whatever he wants to do, regardless of what others think or what campground rules dictate. He is much talked about amongst seasonal campers, and things he does and things he has on his site have even been mentioned by transient campers in reviews about this campground. He just doesn’t care. I’ve spoken with management about him before, as have others, regarding his blatant disregard of others and of the campground rules, and I know management has confronted him about many of these things, but he continues to do what he wants and management seems to have just given up and allows him to carry on.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Site Team

That's sounds like some weak management. Our CG manager isn't afraid to kick people out if he has to talk to someone about an issue more than a couple times.

In fact when we first moved in there were a couple of sites near us that opened up soon after because the people on them couldn't follow the rules.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #20

Co-worker has ring camera and phone app. He see's people walking down the sidewalk from work. Distance to side walk is 60-70 feet away. He's gonna see you camper for sure. The ones I worry about...have 8-10 video cameras on their RV, 6-8 propane bottles sitting outside, windows have heavy shade or blacked out with paint. Had one of those at a CG by us last year. I had good suspicion about what was going on and called authorities. METH BUST !!! right next to us. Last time ever going to that CG.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote