Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #1

Vinyl Falling Apart

Something strange is happening to the vinyl in my 2017 Coachmen Catalina. During my last trip down to the Florida Keys the dark brown vinyl on the seats of the dinette set began delaminating in strips and dropping fine black powder all over the floor . The strips stick to clothing and the black dust makes it look like I've been sitting on charcoal. After all the work I've put into it getting the slide and the rest of the camper dialed in I'm getting disillusioned with the low quality that keeps popping up. A trip to an upholsterer came back an estimate of over $100.00 per cushion which to me is ridiculous for a four year old camper.

Just wondering if anybody else had dealt with this issue and how they took care of it. I guess I could fire up the sewing machine but this shouldn't be happening considering it's only four years old.

Thanks Everybody. Ed
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 PM   #2

What you have is the first indication of RV manufacturing quality at a price point level. all brands are afflicted, not just Forest River. They all buy cheap stuff, just good enough to last out the warranty period.
My 2011 Georgetown started shedding vinyl at 4 years old, the same time the foam backed ceiling started dropping due to the cheap glue they used.
This year we bit the bullet and ordered $4K worth of new furniture, so the flaky vinyl will be on its way out.. Hopefully the new stuff will last more than 4 years but with most of the vinyl made in China... who knows.
The ceiling is a work in progress.. a little at a time.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:09 PM   #3

Like so many others before you, its time to start shopping. Shopping for covers or shopping for real furniture. There are some nice covers that can work well and look good. Just have to shop around. Good luck.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Before buying my trailer I read comments all over the internet about RV companies producing poorly built rigs while using cheap materials. Having never been in or stayed in an RV I did not know how bad it was until I purchased my rig. This is the only industry, that I can think of, where the consumer accepts low quality and subpar manufacturing as the status quo.
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
Before buying my trailer I read comments all over the internet about RV companies producing poorly built rigs while using cheap materials. Having never been in or stayed in an RV I did not know how bad it was until I purchased my rig. This is the only industry, that I can think of, where the consumer accepts low quality and subpar manufacturing as the status quo.

It's not only accepted but owner's often perform warranty work due to subpar warranty repairs and aggravation of transporting their RV to the dealer. I won't go into details but after purchasing a 2019 Grand Design TT I had to make many, many trips to the dealer for warranty work. Yeah, this industry functions like no other, reminds me of the cars and dealers of the mid 70's.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
Cousins

We are new to RVing but we did have a couch and loveseat in our cabin in the smokies start delaminating within months of purchase. I finally called the manufacturer and they knew my problem before I told them. They said they sent me a certificate for all new furniture but for some reason I never got it. They said that was all they could do but would never send me another certificate for the new furniture. It works fine with fitted cover which we donated to a charity. We replaced it with real leather furniture.