Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #1

Visit to the Dealer gone bad...

Took our new motorhome (less than a couple months old) back to Camping World to have a couple warranty items completed. As me and one of the CW employees are on the roof of my RV checking some things out, the fella next to me is leaving (Class A) and had forgotten how much the rear overhangs the back axle.

Yep... you got it, the rear of his swung into mine as he was trying to navigate his way out of the CW parking lot. Hit my driver's side mirror and clipped the bunk overhang on our Class C. The paint/body guy was itemizing it on the spot... ~$1,500 or so of damage. So nothing terrible, just very unfortunate.

I felt bad for the fella. He said in his 50-60yrs of driving he had never had an accident before. I'm sure he thought I might be a bit irate but I figured it's a worse day for him than me and fortunately it wasn't worse than it was. He offered to send me a check for the damages. I told him I didn't want to be involved in the direct transaction so I set him up direct with the paint/body folks and he'll pay them direct w/a CC.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

A couple of nice guys who were in an accident. Wish all drivers were like that.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post

X2. So many get too worked up in an accident. It's exactly that, an accident. It can be emotional but always best to keep your cool. Handled well OP
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

I understand you not wanting to be directly involved, but if he skips out before paying you are stuck with the bill and CW will not give your camper back until it is paid. As unfortunate as it is, I would get the money directly or get insurance involved to make sure there are no hidden damages that come up during repair.

But glad you guys are working it out in a friendly manner. I have had my vehicles hit numerous times and it is aggravating but one day it will be my fault so I want to be treated nicely as well.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I understand you not wanting to be directly involved, but if he skips out before paying you are stuck with the bill and CW will not give your camper back until it is paid. As unfortunate as it is, I would get the money directly or get insurance involved to make sure there are no hidden damages that come up during repair.

But glad you guys are working it out in a friendly manner. I have had my vehicles hit numerous times and it is aggravating but one day it will be my fault so I want to be treated nicely as well.
I don't want a check from him for that vary reason... in case something were to be wrong with the check or, like you said, additional damages are found and he's already given a check.

The way we are doing it will be better... CW did the estimate, will be repairing this week. He'll pay with a CC. I've already got a claim number from his insurance company, so if need be I can call them back and have his insurance kick in. He just doesn't want to claim it on his insurance, and his insurance is fine with that as well. So I told his adjuster to just leave the claim open till the repairs are done and paid for. So that's the Plan B.

We'll be fine. Plan C, should it ever get that far would be to go through my own insurance and have them go back after his and get reimbursed, etc. But Plan B is already rolling so I don't think we'd ever get there.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Ditto! It is nice when folks act like the responsible adults we all are meant to be!!

Glad it is working out and you get back on the road soon!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Ditto! It is nice when folks act like the responsible adults we all are meant to be!!

Glad it is working out and you get back on the road soon!
Yea this day and time we're living in. I liked this post and the OP sharing his accident with us

Tags
dealer