Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

Volunteering at an ACOE campground

Has anyone volunteered to work at a campground? I did just to test the waters, so to speak. I get a free premium site and have to work about 20 hrs a week. Could last two weeks. They are planning to paint a bath house, and replace some timbers at the playground. When I enquired about how many volunteered, I'm it. Lol. Did I step off in the deep end? The CG is now closed for the year, so I might be the lone ranger in the whole campground at night. Danged if I'm not a little nervous.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have not volunteered at a CG, but have done projects with https://www.ayeartovolunteer.com/

Some type of work, with a large energetic and fun loving crowed. It has the Huck Fin painting the fence kind of vibe.

This was the last park I helped with

Thank you for supporting the parks!
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

With a group, that would be great! What is bugging me is being in a pretty large campground more or less alone. The rangers all have homes they go to after work, and the park attendants will be pulling out to snowbird.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:21 AM   #4

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that they'd let you work and stay in the campground by yourself.

It doesn't sound safe to me. What if you get hurt or ill overnight? What if there are unknown dangers like predators (human or animal) around?

I think you need to rethink this.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #5

I've camped in a lot of places where it was just me for awhile without issues. You do have to stay active or the boredom will get to you. For me I would like to at least have cell service but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I personally enjoy the peace and solitude when camping this time of year.
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #6

I'd be in heaven working there.
Unfortunately, I'm in FLorida and we never have empty campgrounds...
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #7

The wife will be able to come and stay a few nights. I sure won't be without protection as well. Still hoping for at least one more to volunteer. 5 or 6 would be better.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #8

Cell service and decent on air TV is good. If I get bored, I'll fish.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
Cell service and decent on air TV is good. If I get bored, I'll fish.
I think it sounds awesome!
Old 11-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #10

Well, overall it was a great experience. There was another couple that volunteered at the last moment, so I wasn't alone at least. We remodeled and painted an older bath house that was in need of attention. Easily worked the 20 hours in 4 days. Big storms are on the way, so I cut and ran along with the other couple. It was very strange in a big campground with only 3 sites occupied. Saw lots of deer, geese, turkeys, armadillos, racoons, pelicans, tons of squirrels, and of course the dang skunks.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan View Post
Well, overall it was a great experience. There was another couple that volunteered at the last moment, so I wasn't alone at least. We remodeled and painted an older bath house that was in need of attention. Easily worked the 20 hours in 4 days. Big storms are on the way, so I cut and ran along with the other couple. It was very strange in a big campground with only 3 sites occupied. Saw lots of deer, geese, turkeys, armadillos, racoons, pelicans, tons of squirrels, and of course the dang skunks.
Thanks for letting us know. Glad you had a great experience. It's volunteers like you that make our parks more enjoyable for all.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #12

Id like to do the same. I posted about getting into the same thing with BLM on the forum, but got no response WHere did you go to for info?
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #13

They had notes posted at the campground for workers. I didn't see anything online about them needing workers. The local ACOE has my number and email address, so I'm sure they will be contacting me in the future. I'll be glad to help too.

Tags
campground, mpg