Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Wanting to purchase a trailer

Re: 2020 FOREST RIVER SALEM FSX 178BHSK We are new to the forum, now retired and looking to travel some so are thinking of purchasing this trailer. We will be pulling it with a 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE that has a towing package. I think we are comfortable with the weights, but I have to say the things we read about the trailer itself are definitely off-putting. There is a considerable amount of complaints about shoddy workmanship on the internet and about the way the trailer handles when being pulled. I would love to hear the forums thought...yeah or nay. Are we crazy to try to pull with the Highlander? Is this really a poorly made trailer? With the plethora of travel trailers in the Forest River Family, could you offer suggestions of other lightweight trailers with a Murphy type bed arrangement that we might should look at? We are not new to trailer camping as we did quite a bit of it when our children were home. Now we are looking to travel with out pets and possibly our grands. Thank you for any information.
2Stilwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stilwells View Post
We are new to the forum, now retired and looking to travel some so are thinking of purchasing this trailer. We will be pulling it with a 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE that has a towing package. I think we are comfortable with the weights, but I have to say the things we read about the trailer itself are definitely off-putting. There is a considerable amount of complaints about shoddy workmanship on the internet and about the way the trailer handles when being pulled. I would love to hear the forums thought...yeah or nay. Are we crazy to try to pull with the Highlander? Is this really a poorly made trailer? With the plethora of travel trailers in the Forest River Family, could you offer suggestions of other lightweight trailers with a Murphy type bed arrangement that we might should look at? We are not new to trailer camping as we did quite a bit of it when our children were home. Now we are looking to travel with out pets and possibly our grands. Thank you for any information.
You should tell us which trailer is "this trailer".

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Reread the heading he posted, lists the trailer.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Reread the heading he posted, lists the trailer.
The OP added that info, after Mr. Dan posted his post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #5

my opinion...

I think you will have your hands full with the Highlander... great vehicle but short wheelbase will give you some handling problems... tail wagging the dog type of thing.

You will be very close to max hitch weight (500# is what I am seeing on the 'net) if not over by the time you add propane and battery to the DRY Hitch weight. Say you only put minimal in trailer and get to 4,000#... typical safe tongue weight is at least 12% of total trailer weight... that is 480# https://youtu.be/fWd8ml9mFMo

I personally would not be planning any long trips or trips in the mountains at all. Short flat trips with only 1 passenger in the Highlander you should be good.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Based on model number, it's a bunkhouse. Bunks for others. I did similar, rarely have the grandkids camping, more like babysitting duty when camping as a group of TTs.
Point is, buy sized and layout for you & the wife. Seperate convertable couches & dinettes are fine for the rare tagalongs. North-south bed very important for getting into & out without disturbing the other.
I pulled out the upper bunk and put a clothesrod in that area.
Bunks take up a lot of space. And if others aren't often with you, wasted space.
Just my opinion after two years with my bunkhouse.
One of my wife's major considerations was the grandkids when we decided on our TT. She has discussed a couple times selling it & getting another. But it's a great size for ripping around the countryside with my truck and I've made many modifications to make it more useable.
Just checked the website. Very nice layout with the slide and the wider bunks. 4830# GVWR (Dry weight plus CCC). Your tow rating is what? I towed my 3877# GVWR TT with my 2008 Explorer tow rated at 5225#. It worked but was no fun. After weighing, turns out I was operating my rig at 85% GCWR & it didn't like it that much. Doable but was more like work towing.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #7

Wont weigh in on the towing, but, the trailer is an entry level model with FR. I had a salem (original, not FSX or Cruise Light) before our current rig, and it was fine. There were certainly areas where you could see that it was cheaply constructed, but, for the price, it was in line with anything else in the category. We have moved to an intermediate price point fiver and the construction is quite a bit better, but, there are still issues. Quality is not something the RV industry is known for. If you're pretty handy, you can do a lot yourself. I also suggest camping as much as possible under warranty and keep a long list of all of the things you want fixed. Our dealer was good to us on the salem and made everything mostly right with that unit.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Unfortunately that trailer's loaded tongue weight will exceed your Toyota's max of 500lbs.
At a fictional dry tongue weight of 430lbs, once you add a couple of batteries, you're already at or over the 500lbs. And that's not even considering the weights of factory/dealer options, water or trailer cargo.
So I seriously doubt that you'll be happy with a overloaded car.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #9

For what ever trailer you look at. If it has the cheap plastic lid on the toilet with the plastic bowl-ask your dealer to upgrade it to the Dometic 310 model. Probably run about $225 or so more but worth every penny. Or plan on doing it yourself. Easy, 20 min. max.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP added that info, after Mr. Dan posted his post.
Ya Know I was wondering about that because it IS NOT like Mr Dan to miss something so blatantly obvious! Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
For what ever trailer you look at. If it has the cheap plastic lid on the toilet with the plastic bowl-ask your dealer to upgrade it to the Dometic 310 model. Probably run about $225 or so more but worth every penny. Or plan on doing it yourself. Easy, 20 min. max.
The poster is looking at a 2020 trailer. Dometic stopped offering the 300 before 2020. It won't be an issue for him.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer