Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #1

Warranty DIY

Going on a couple months in trying to get a screen fixed on our Wolf Pup. Picked up in September, noticed the window screen behind the sink had a tear in it during the walk-through, and let the dealer know about it. They said to start a warranty claim, and so far it has been an epic fail.

After sending lots of pictures and measurements of the screen, FR sent us a replacement screen for the wrong window. Needed a 24" by 15" screen, but they sent us a 12" by 15" screen to fit a 24" by 15" window when the window in question is 48" by 15". Got in touch with the dealer, and they understand what's wrong, FR sent the wrong one.

More pictures and measurements, and then all was quiet for a few weeks. Got in touch with the dealer, now it seems that FR doesn't have a replacement screen for that size window, so the only option is to pull out the spline and replace the screen material ourselves. Oddly enough, when they sent the wrong one, I asked if the screen could just be repaired like any other, and the dealer said it was not possible to repair it, and FR wouldn't approve the repair anyway. Seemed pretty strange, since it certainly appeared the screen was just held in by a rubber spline like any other window screen.

I feel sorry for the dealer, they are having to put up with the Forest River's poor quality and they indicated that I'm just one of many needing warranty repairs. I feel worse for folks who either aren't very technical or are not willing to fix it themselves. I've had to fix other issues, but most were easily fixed and would have been more of a headache for me to hitch it up, tow it back to the dealer, wait for them to fix it and have to tow it back home.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #2

wondering why they wanted you to start a warranty claim instead of them fixing it before you gave them money as it was found on the walk thru. Seems your dealer is being lazy. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #3

What Seadog said...

That's the whole idea of doing a walk through.
they need to fix stuff before you hand over the $$$$$
That should be the last chance to spot something.

at minimum I would accept .... " we ordered a replacement it will be here on ......."

What I don't understand
why dealers wait to inspect and fix stuff on the day of the pre-delivery inspection with the buyer.

We traveled for hours to do the inspection and expected to take trailer home that day. Not coming back a Third time ...

would have been royally P'd off if something major was found that day.

I would have cancelled the deal
or expected dealer to re-reimburse any expenses for another trip or accommodation.

They had my trailer in stock ... why put it out for sale without a good cleaning and systems check.

BTW my inspection was good no major problems and was smiling all the way home
General RV in Ocala
Old 12-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherman26 View Post
I feel sorry for the dealer, they are having to put up with the Forest River's poor quality and they indicated that I'm just one of many needing warranty repairs. I feel worse for folks who either aren't very technical or are not willing to fix it themselves. I've had to fix other issues, but most were easily fixed and would have been more of a headache for me to hitch it up, tow it back to the dealer, wait for them to fix it and have to tow it back home.
You're feeling sorry for the dealer? They could have done the repairs before they sold it to you.
When we went to pick up our mh, there were several things wrong that would make it impossible to camp in the rig... a propane appliances that wouldn't start and they found a kink in the propane line, and a few other things that I can't remember. We refused to sign and join the line for 'service'.
Repair technicians appeared out of nowhere when we wouldn't sign.
We rented a motel for the night and stayed another day til they got the repairs done.... Then we signed and took it home.
If it's a simple repair of replacing a screen, the dealer could have repaired it before you signed.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post

What I don't understand
why dealers wait to inspect and fix stuff on the day of the pre-delivery inspection with the buyer.

Because they don't care and hope the new owner will repair defects. My last (and I mean last) TT had 30 defects that took over a year to fix by incompetent service people that had a hard time even ordering the right parts and putting things back together correctly. Did you say Ocala? Yeah that sounds very familiar.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty