Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
Rocknoids

Waste Water Portable Totes

It's a dirty subject, but, someone has to talk about it.
I am checking for opinions on totes with large wheels or normal small wheels. I have always believed the bigger wheels are better going over rough roads that may have small pot holes & such.
I am looking at getting this one. Any thoughts would be gratly appreciated.
Experience is the best teacher.

Camco Rhino 36 Gallon Portable Tote Holding Waste Tank - $189.28
Rocknoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknoids View Post
I am checking for opinions on totes with large wheels or normal small wheels. I have always believed the bigger wheels are better going over rough roads that may have small pot holes & such.

I am anxious to hear about this one. Great price for 36 gallons.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I was just thinking of this topic today, glad you brought it up. I like the features on the Camcos and big wheels, includes everything, no extras to buy, and much cheaper than Barkman or other brands.'

No, I don't own it. Yet. Also like it comes with everything to lash it to rear ladder.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

I love this subject.

When I had my pop up, i researched this for a couple of years. I just wanted to tote my gray water. One day while camping locally, my 8 year old grandson, went to a yard sale in the campground and found a 22 gallon Blue Barker tote. It was only $10 and I jumped on it. It is one of the most useful things I have ever bought for camping
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

I bought a 42 gal Barker and it does great. Holds a typical days worth of gray and black (2 showers, dish washing, etc).
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #6

I would give that one a try.

I have the SmartTote2 RV Portable Waste Tote Tank and would not recommend it. The drain is too high and it has two area up front where water pools. It impossible (for me) to completely empty it out. Also, the drain hose deteriorated after the first year and customizing a new hose was not as easy as it should have been.

The wheels are fine and 28 gallons is a good size for me.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

Just make sure it can be SECURLY fastened to the hitch if you're dragging it to the dump station. Nothing uglier than a Runaway Turd Tote crashing into someone's campsite. YES...seen it happen...couple times now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wolfpaq, that made me laugh for some reason. I hope I"m not there when that happens, because I would be laughing so hard the guy would probably assault me.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wolfpaq, that made me laugh for some reason. I hope I"m not there when that happens, because I would be laughing so hard the guy would probably assault me.
It was a site across from us. To be totally honest...we were LOFAO. I'm sure the neighbor was not happy.

The other time it happened....it was my goofy Brother-in-law that tied his to the hitch with a tiny piece of rope and it broke off. Rolled into the side of truck at a campsite.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

It's always funny when it happens to the other guy! Until the smells starts to waft over....
Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Think I"ll wait a bit before buying one. None of my trips this year will be more than 4 nights, and have full hookups. I thought this would be useful to use the trailer in my driveway, so I could tote the tank contents over to my septic tank to dump. I think I'll just go with the no pooping rule while in the driveway.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #12

I used to have one of these. A blue one I believe with small plastic wheels. 2nd trip to the dump station the wheels burned off the thing towing it behind truck. Was going slow too. Sent it back and haven’t bought another. Would consider one if it had real rubber wheels on an axle that could support pulling to the dump station faster than 5 mph. Thought about building a specialized dolly of sorts with real pneumatic wheels on a metal axle that could support the tote but just haven’t needed one lately.

JG
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #13

here is a review of it...

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
Site Team

We got this one a couple of years ago. It works ok but I'm not entirely happy with the hose that's built into it. I already had to patch one hole in it. It's also not super easy to drain. I'll typically connect a second hose to it so I have time to get the elbow in the dump station before everything starts flowing out. It's also difficult to get it to drain completely.

I do like the extendable handle that hooks right over a hitch bal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got my parents this one for Christmas. Its a tad smaller but it has pneumatic wheels and a valve for the drain. The handle is metal but it will also hook right onto a hitch ball.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #15

Rhino Tote

Haven't made the purchase, yet, but have been comparing brands online. It appears the Rhino has superior features for the price. the price you found is lower than I have seen. Might motivate me to go ahead with the purchase!! Thanks for bringing up this distasteful subject..
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

https://tweetys.com/camco-39004-rhin...SABEgJENPD_BwE Best price so far, 170 bucks USD.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #17

Choices

Quote:

Okay,our Cherokee 38P is permanently stationed at a wonderful site with electricity, cable TV and internet, and unmetered water, but no sewer. Everyone uses totes and I've seen all kinds. Here are some of the choices you have to think about.
  • Big wheels or little wheels: If you are going to drag it by hand, you may want the big wheels. If you are pulling it with car, truck, or golf cart, it doesn't matter. I've never seen one with small wheels fail.
  • Side drain or top drain: When you get to the dump station, do you want to be able to simply roll it onto the drain pad and open the side drain, or connect a hose to the top drain and tip the tank up to empty it? (Actually lift it off the ground and hold it mostly upside down for the last part of a complete drain)
  • 3 or 4 wheels or just two: I have to drag our 25-gallon, two-wheel tote about 25 feet to get it to where I can hitch it to the golf cart or TV. I am probably lifting close to 100 lbs and walking backward for that interval. If you're not up for that, get a three- or four-wheel unit so you can pull without carrying the weight. (lots of folks on this site talk about their backs)
  • Capacity: Water weights 8.3 lbs/gallon. I was stunned to see that you were looking at a 36-gallon unit, even more surprised that someone else reported a a 42! Even if you get a four-wheel unit, dragging it by hand a quarter-mile to the dump station will be exhausting. I would not get one that big. Sometimes I have to take 2-3 trips to get both 40 gallon tanks empty.
Full disclosure: I am 73 years old. I can manage pulling our full 25-gallon tote through rough ground. I don't think I could manage a bigger one.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #18

Tote

We just bought the 42 gallon Barker. Used it for the first time last weekend and it worked well. Seems to be well built an we liked the bigger tires. I found it at Walmart.com.
jcbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
  • 3 or 4 wheels or just two: I have to drag our 25-gallon, two-wheel tote about 25 feet to get it to where I can hitch it to the golf cart or TV.
  • Capacity: Water weights 8.3 lbs/gallon. I was stunned to see that you were looking at a 36-gallon unit, even more surprised that someone else reported a a 42! Even if you get a four-wheel unit, dragging it by hand a quarter-mile to the dump station will be exhausting. I would not get one that big. Sometimes I have to take 2-3 trips to get both 40 gallon tanks empty.
Larry
I have a 2-wheel Barker blue tote. Dragging from trailer and then lifting the very short hitch handle up to my truck hitch is back breaking. I ended up spending another $40 to buy a drop ball that fits my truck receiver. Drag is still back breaking but lift is now easier. My tanks are 50gal so I was going to get a 42gal until realized I couldn't handle a 350 lb. Dead weight.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:

Rocknoids;
I have the Thetford SmartTote II - 35 Gal size and from the savings in not buying the 4 wheeled models, I bought a "Trailer Caddy". This works very well with the wheels being 6" (plastic) on the tank & 10" (pneumatic) on the caddy. Just slip the caddy hitch ball under the tow loop and push the handle down. Unit pulls easy enough on rough terrain whether walking or by a bicycle. I would go slow behind a car or truck because the hard plastic wheels take quite a beating on the pavement. If the plastic wheels ever fail, I will likely put some 10" pneumatics from Harbor Freight on a new axel in the rear.

Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water