Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Angry Water and Mold in 2 week old E-PRO

Hi,
We just brought home our brand new 2021.5 E Pro two weeks ago. We were getting ready to use it for the first time this past weekend when we discovered a big water leak stain with mold growing. We were not made aware of this damage upon purchase and it's in a spot that you wouldn't normally see upon a final walkthrough. We have not used or run the water so this definitely happened prior to our possession.

It's at the dealership now and they are taking a look at it. Forest River is also aware of what is going on. We don't know if the damage also includes the flooring or other areas.

I am sure they will fix it under warranty but we have two family members very allergic to mold. Unless it's removed properly and correctly, it may always be an issue. How do I know if they got it all and taken care of it properly?

It may also hurt the resale value if we ever need to sell it down the road. Who wants a trailer with a prior history of mold?!

Bottom line is we spent a lot of money on a new trailer that was not actually new. It was damaged from the start and the dealership hid that fact. Any suggestions on our recourse? What should we be looking out for through this whole process? Anyone else dealt with a similar situation? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
kmatranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What is/was the source of the water leak and where was this hidden stain that you wouldn't notice during a PDI/Customer Orientation?

Did you not use/run water during delivery?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

They haven't told us yet but we suspect the water filter was installed in incorrectly and it flooded the front part of our trailer which is all underneath the master bed. The bed does not flip up so the only way we happen to see it was when my husband pulled out the drawer underneath the bed to install something. We noticed a little bit of water in the pass through up front upon walk through and the sales guy brushed it off and said it had just rained and maybe the door wasn't sealed correctly. They ran water through when we picked it up to bring home but it's in a spot where if it leaked then, it would not have leaked out to the main compartment (if that makes sense).
Old 10-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

Pictures of the damage

Here are pictures of the damage and mold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	241033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	241034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4908.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	241035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4906.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	241036  
Old 10-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What is on the other side of the wall where that staining is?

Old 10-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #6

It’s the front pass through storage.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

I'd be really angry over that. Its definitely a health issue and that was not in new condition when sold. Someone needs to step up either the dealer or the manufacturer. I wouldn't bring it back home after seeing this.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

We are trying! Dealership is acting like it's no big deal. They have not been able to find why it happened so far but are ready to "fix" it and be done with us. We are not so happy with this course of action as we are pushing for a replacement. I don't want a damaged trailer I just paid good money for! They have already pulled up the floor on it and such.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #9

Contact the BBB on this and present a case. Also check your state lemon laws on damaged goods, since this is what you have, damaged goods. It is one thing to have an RV that needs manufacturing repairs, but this appears not to be the case since this is water damage that was covered up.

Lemon laws require a set number of repair attempts over a set period of time before you can file, but there is also the Magnuson-Moss act that may cover what you have. You can always check with a lemon law lawyer, they usually will tell you whether you have a case or not and not charge for the consult. I did this on a 2016 F150 that was past the initial 36,000 B2B, but still under the 5/60 mechanical, but only a little over a year old that had at least 6 repairs for vibrations and bad steering that could not get resolved, and was able to sue Ford for the depreciation so I could replace it and not loose my shirt, pants, socks, and it was under the Magnuson-Moss act.

With Mold growing, it becomes a health risk, so you more than likely have a case, but act fast and don't delay.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What is on the other side of the wall where that staining is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatranga View Post
It’s the front pass through storage.
Thanks, does that side of the wall exhibit staining and mold?

I am asking because you mentioned...
Quote:
we spent a lot of money on a new trailer that was not actually new. It was damaged from the start and the dealership hid that fact.
Do you believe this to be a used unit that the dealer is passing off as brand new?

Is it possible the dealer didn't know about this either? (As in... if the wall on the other side looks OK and they didn't remove the drawer for any reason, maybe they didn't see it either?)

Lemon Laws for autos and R/Vs are not even in the same ballpark and talk about lawyers will get this thread shut down in a heartbeat.

Work with the dealer and see if you can come to an amicable solution. Contact the factory (on your own-every division has contact information on the FR web site.) and explain the issues and see what they suggest. I'm positive a solution can be agreed on that will make you comfortable with the outcome.

Mold remediation has come a long way. Look at the homes that were damaged with water from hurricanes and floods and those folks fixed them up and moved back into. I say that to point out that replacement of the entire R/V is not the only solution.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #11

When we went to look at it to buy, we noticed some moisture in the front pass through compartment. We mentioned to our sales person that we felt it (he noticed it too) and he assured us he and his team would do a thorough inspection before we take it home. We honestly believe someone there knew about the damage and didn't mention anything in hopes that we would not see it as it's in a spot you wouldn't normally look in unless you pulled out a drawer.
They are saying now that they don't know how it got wet and can't replicate the issue. They are ready to fix it and send it home. I told them I don't want it until we find the source. Working on filing a BBB complaint tonight and have another call in to Forest River.
Thank you all for your suggestions! Keep them coming as this is a first for us!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Contact the BBB on this and present a case. Also check your state lemon laws on damaged goods, since this is what you have, damaged goods. It is one thing to have an RV that needs manufacturing repairs, but this appears not to be the case since this is water damage that was covered up.

Lemon laws require a set number of repair attempts over a set period of time before you can file, but there is also the Magnuson-Moss act that may cover what you have. You can always check with a lemon law lawyer, they usually will tell you whether you have a case or not and not charge for the consult. I did this on a 2016 F150 that was past the initial 36,000 B2B, but still under the 5/60 mechanical, but only a little over a year old that had at least 6 repairs for vibrations and bad steering that could not get resolved, and was able to sue Ford for the depreciation so I could replace it and not loose my shirt, pants, socks, and it was under the Magnuson-Moss act.

With Mold growing, it becomes a health risk, so you more than likely have a case, but act fast and don't delay.
X2 to ALL the above!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #13

Well like mentioned earlier most states lemon laws don't cover TTs or even RVs. I'd keep pushing it with FR because I doubt very much the dealer would provide a new one though I'd keep pushing them, too. You just never know, post reviews of the situation if the dealer is washing his hands of it saying its fixed. If you decide to take it back after repair I'd make them hook up water and run everything that has water running too it from sinks, toilets. Hot water heater, etc. And check for leaks everyplace. It could be the dealer knew or didn't know IMHO it would be tough to prove. Check the lines make sure you don't see any punctured with staples, etc. during assembly. Sorry your having this problem, wish you luck and keep us updated, if you would. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #14

As mentioned, the damage could be more than the eye can see. Perhaps pushing Forrest River to have the trailer brought back to the factory for repair.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinthehills View Post
As mentioned, the damage could be more than the eye can see. Perhaps pushing Forrest River to have the trailer brought back to the factory for repair.
That would be a great idea if FR agrees to cover the work though I'm not sure where the OP lives in relations to FR factory. I've had several friends over the years that FR agreed to have a service bring it back and forth with no expense to the owner. I've also know a buddy that had FR cover his expenses to bring it up there himself. With such high demand it might be tough to get it in anytime soon and if the OP lives in colder climate it will need to be winterized soon. Lot's of if's hopefully there's on the visible damage and mold but some places you can't see without taking everything out. Tough call either way.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #16

This is a case I would consult an attorney on. The defect was not disclosed at time of purchase and the dealer presented it to you as a brand new trailer without defects or damage.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, water