Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #1

Water damage/leak

After spending a couple of hours throughly washing our RV (2016 Coachman Freelander 26rs), DW said she would like to try driving it around the block. At the end of the street she turned left and I, sitting in the passenger seat, had a WATERFALL totally soaking me. Drove back to the house and discovered the mattress above the cab was completely soaked. I pulled off the moldings and the “headboard” and found about 3 inches of water. Used a sponge to soak up the water and now have a fan running to help dry it out. I will be doing a though inspection of roof tomorrow. (Window and vent were closed). Any advice??? Will I have to worry about mold?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10058117-4AF3-47D9-B4A8-9540A52F2FE9.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	226939   Click image for larger version

Name:	96D9216D-A062-459F-8580-237FB2A2F56E.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	226940  
Vicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #2

Mold... will depend on how long the water was in there...

If you dry it out thoroughly I would mist the area that was wet with some bleach water to kill any spores. But more importantly you will have to find the source of the water. Have you done any roof maintenance? Consider using Eternabond tape to fix any gaps in the roof caulk. Read this over...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #3

Consider using a space heater to really dry out the wood. The bleach mixture spray is a solid solution after it's bone dry. If you had 3" of water (Thats a LOT of water), your likely to have had water seeping down much farther than you can see by removing the headboard and trim.

I googled your model and see that it is a class C bunk you are talking about. I would want to inspect the wall at the edge of the bunk and the floor below it also, just to make sure I got everything dried out and treated. Just my two cents worth. Would hate to see you fix the leak but still have water damage and your wall or floor rot or grow mold.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:15 AM   #4

A dehumidifier will suck the water out of the spots you can't see. (Don't ask me how I know)

Also running the a/c will help dry it out and discourage mold.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:46 AM   #5

You can also use an ozone machine. We had a couple of floods in the basement and used one. Couldn't find mold anywhere and also left it smelling fresh. They are not expensive on Amazon either. Works nice anywhere there is musty smells.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water