Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #1

Water/Electric, no sewer. whats the process?

So, I normally do full hookups if more than a day at any place, but this year we are looking to stay for a week that only has water/electric with a dump station somewhere on site. I know I will nee a pop tank, but how is it used and which ones are the most user friendly to not spill or otherwise make a mess?

Our 3660 may have two 35 gallon grey tanks, but somehow those tanks fill fast, especially the kitchen tank. Compared to our last trailer, A Coleman 274BH, it seems as though the grey tanks fill at twice the rate with the same use, while the black tank is no different than the last trailer, its like a 3:1 ratio for dumping, where the last trailer was 1:1.

I feel I will be making many trips that week.

How is it filled, how is it transported and how is it dumped and what is done after dumping?

First time in 6 years this will be an issue. We had done a 3 day sprint at Kentucky Horse Park and only had to dump when we left, so not sure what is going on with the new trailer and why it seems we use so much more water.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

Typical. The gray tanks typically are the weak link.

When we are trying to extend the storage in our tanks, the first thing I do I remove the cap on the drain line. I install the $20 valve in its place. This will allow you to then open the two gray drain valves and balance them. Helps. You could balance all three. Buys time.

When we arrive with empty tanks we place a Rubber maid pan in the sink. All dish washing water is collected. I then pour the first pan or two in the toilet. Accomplishes adding soapy water to the black tank to work better. We then sort of use minimal flush water.

We have a 40 gallon blue boy tank. Easy to fill. Comes with a short hose.

What is not is the tank is heavy! You have to connect it to the tv to empty.

Our tank has four wheels.

We have used it once! Planning ahead we have found the DW and I can go a week without a dump. Our three tanks are all 40 gallons each.

Got to conserve water. Fancy shower sprayer.

Check out the rv site. They may be able to get a honey dipper to drain your tanks. Easy. Not free!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Site Team

There have been many threads here about tote tanks and which ones are better. You'll get tons of opinions on size, brand, features, etc...

Personally, I like and use this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Barker-30844-...35278945&psc=1

Fills from the top, drains from the side. Pulls quiet with the big rubber wheels and the metal handle easily fits over a hitch ball.

Also never have to worry about over-filling it because it holds just as much as each of the holding tanks on my trailer.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #4

We use the barker.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

There are 5 of us in the trailer, two are teens. What we will not be doing is showering in the trailer, there is a shower house on prem, which will save on a lot of water use. Even with short showers it fills the tank fast. When we are on full hookup I have to drain it daily.

The soap pan in the sink is something I will have done from now on, seems my wife can fill that tank washing dishes in no time.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
D W

Hmmmm, as to why the tanks are filling so fast, I'd imagine you'd have to discuss that with the people using the water. They don't fill themselves.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #7

Getting the women to use minimal water while doing dishes seems to be a difficult undertaking. use a plastic pan for the wash water, it will save about half of the water normally used. Put the dish drain rack in the sink. As you wash dishes set them in the drain rack. When the drain rack is getting crowded turn on the sprayer and rinse them. takes very little water yet gets the job done. Also, there is usually no need to turn the spigot on full blast, half speed or less is usually enough pressure to do a good job.

Other ways to save grey water is to use the foaming hand soap dispensers. You can use the foam straight on you hands with no water needed, wash them then turn on the water to rinse them. No need to have the water running while you are washing your hands.

If you use a razor for shaving use a small dish such as a cottage cheese container with some water in it to rinse the razor instead of using running water to rinse it.

Overall just be mindful of how you use the water, it is surprising how much less water we can use and still get the job done if we just think about it and put a bit of effort into it.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Hmmmm, as to why the tanks are filling so fast, I'd imagine you'd have to discuss that with the people using the water. They don't fill themselves.
I don't know. Sometimes the "not me" ghost shows up. He's at our house all the time eating food, moving stuff around, making messes...

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #9

With 5 folks and a smaller tank system, you will be needing to empty tanks every other day.

Get some good rubber gloves! Maybe a face shield.

Welcome to the dark side of rving.

Have fun.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #10

I have never actually measured how much water is in the tanks, so wondering if the sensors are off and the tanks are actually not as full as they say. Once I have a portapooper then I can get a better idea on just how much water they are actually holding. The black seems to be right on the nose, but those other two especially the kitchen, since it is only washing like twice a day, seems to fill awfully quick.

Yeah, this trip will be an adventure, especially if I can't lock in the electric site in time. Sticking a 43' long RV on a 30' long space will be fun.

Thats a whole nother story.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #11
Retired Army MSG!

When no sewer hook up my rules are shower in the bath house, no #2's unless it is an absolute or 3 am emergency. I empty gray tanks into tote and take to dump station about every 3 days.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:10 PM   #12

me thinks.... not a sewer problem.... this is a water usage problem.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #13

The tank sensors are sort of a plus or minus 50% thing.

I have no idea what that means!

Next time you are in a site with a sewer you can explore the situation!

When the black tank is really full. They burp or drain goofy. Usually you can tell.

Best to do this when it is you and DW who you can trust. Not the children. Who you cannot.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #14
Site Team

After nearly 20 years of RVing, with lots of dry camping, we've NEVER used our blue tote tank for black water. We've only needed it for gray water.
We can go 2 weeks without needing to dump the black tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I have never actually measured how much water is in the tanks, so wondering if the sensors are off and the tanks are actually not as full as they say. Once I have a portapooper then I can get a better idea on just how much water they are actually holding. The black seems to be right on the nose, but those other two especially the kitchen, since it is only washing like twice a day, seems to fill awfully quick.

Yeah, this trip will be an adventure, especially if I can't lock in the electric site in time. Sticking a 43' long RV on a 30' long space will be fun.

Thats a whole nother story.
The factory tank gauges (idiot lights) are notoriously inaccurate.

Has the kitchen sink ever backed up water into the bowl?
Has the shower or bathroom sink ever done the same?
That's when you know they are full.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The factory tank gauges (idiot lights) are notoriously inaccurate.

Has the kitchen sink ever backed up water into the bowl?
Has the shower or bathroom sink ever done the same?
That's when you know they are full.
Actually the shower did back up once. Our last trip out was a full week, emptied the black once, the other two at least once a day.

I am looking into the totes now. Leaning towards the Camco one but haven't fully decided yet between it and the one up above. I like that the Camco has integrated ladder hook and indents for securing the straps, but not crazy about the skinny wheels. OTOH read a few reviews where the other one sprung leaks, and that it doesn't roll as freely when pulling it around by hand.

Have to first measure the outlet on the trailer, if not high enough, then can't use the Camco.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #17
ARLO

Quote:
Actually the shower did back up once. Our last trip out was a full week, emptied the black once, the other two at least once a day.

I am looking into the totes now. Leaning towards the Camco one but haven't fully decided yet between it and the one up above. I like that the Camco has integrated ladder hook and indents for securing the straps, but not crazy about the skinny wheels. OTOH read a few reviews where the other one sprung leaks, and that it doesn't roll as freely when pulling it around by hand.

Have to first measure the outlet on the trailer, if not high enough, then can't use the Camco.
the camco looks like a good one. hope it fits.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #18
rfifer

We have a 38 gallon Tote-N-Store that has worked well for us. There are several good brands out there, but I want to echo an earlier post that these puppies are heavy when they are full. The handle for our tank slips over the hitch ball and that allows us to haul it at a VERY slow speed to the dump station. After making the dump, it is important to rinse it out to get rid of any residue, especially if it has both black and grey tank contents. You are not going to get it squeaky clean, but a thorough rinse will definitely help in the sanitation / smell department.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

WOW!
If your bathroom/shower grey tank filled in one day to the point it backed up in the pan, you really do have your hands full educating the family about the importance of water conservation when boondocking.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #20
Joe Cl

Make sure the dump station is close to where you camp. At Edisto State Park beach camp ground it is about 3 miles down the road. I wonder if I could use a come a long and ramp to pull my blue tote up into my pickup truck bed.
jjcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, water