Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Water Heater on Rockwood A122

I recently bought a 2011 A122, used it twice and now want to winterize it. I've drained everything but the water heater (which we have not yet used). Is this needed and how do I do that?
annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

I'll be interested in this as well. My assumptions would be as follows, hopefully someone here can verify:

Drain the water system for the camper (after turning off all pumps and removing any water supply of course). Remove the water filter from under the sink area.

On the A126 (assuming same on A122) there are drain valves under the sink that you PULL UP (do not turn or twist) to drain the system. Open the faucet valves while draining to ensure you get all the water out. You'll also have to open the fresh water tank valve under the camper (if the camper is low on the driver side, and nose down you'll get the most complete drain of that tank).

While the main systems is draining, open the cover for the water heater and use the appropriate sized wrench to remove the anode rod from the bottom of the hot water heater. This will allow the tank to drain. Again, having the camper low on the driver side will help the heater drain.

I haven't done this yet myself. Just going on what I remember from the delivery of the new camper. I also referenced this manual online - not sure if it's the exact model but I think its correct: http://www.lsrv.info/david/Suburban%...0REV%20new.pdf

The last step is to add RV Antifreeze to the fresh water tank and use the campers water pump to circulate that all the way through to the sink according to my dealer. This will take several gallons. I'm not sure that I would use enough to fill the hot water side of the system since at the smallest the heater is 4 gallons and there's no need to have the water heater full of RV antifreeze in my opinion.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here and give us some tips.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

OOoh - almost forgot - don't forget about the outside shower. You'll want to make sure all the water is out of that system as well else you'll be facing a cracked faucet in the spring.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Sorry to post again - was just looking over that owners manual online again.

Be sure that you DO NOT put any antifreeze in the hot water heater. I'm not sure if there is a bypass valve or not on the A122/A126/A128. I'll have to check into that.

The manual states:
If your water heater plumbing system is equipped with a bypass kit, use it to close off the water heater, drain the water heater completely and leave the water heater
closed off (out of the system) in the bypass position particularly if you are introducing antifreeze into the plumbing system. Antifreeze can be very corrosive to the anode rod creating premature failure and heavy sediment in the tank. If the plumbing system is not equipped with a bypass kit, and you intend to winterize by adding antifreeze to the system, remove the anode rod (storing it for the winter) and replace it with a 3/4" drain plug.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks for your response.....very helpful. What I've decided to do since I'm so new to this is to let my dealer winterize it and while there I'm going to ask even more questions. My wife and I agree the orientation, while good, was a little overwhelming and we have already forgotten some of the points made. Maybe next time I'll be able to winterize it myself. Sure hate to pay someone.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Take a digital camera and ask if they mind if you watch and learn and take a few pictures. Take a note pad and record the steps. You can transcribe those later into a Word Processor on your computer with pictures added and you'll be good to go next year.

Be sure to ask about proper procedures to de-winterize and sanitize the fresh water tank in the spring!

By the way, I can't blame you for going that route. When we had out swimming pool installed, I paid the builder to come close the first year. I followed him around taking notes (forgot to take pictures). He laughed quite often, knowing this might be the last time he ever sees me. He was a great guy - but I wasn't paying $350 every fall to close my pool
Old 09-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

More good advice and tips!! Thanks so much....I truly appreciate your help.

Tags
a122