Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Water Heater wiring help.

I have an SW6 DE Water Heater WITHOUT ELECTRIC. I don't understate that part but don't care as we use gas. Electric cost $.24 KWh here.

What I need help with is wiring a pilot light to the heater so I know when it is running. We cannot hear it running as we did in the Wildcat 5er. That's how we knew we had plenty of hot water. Wife would hear it shut off and say go take a shower.

The red light stays on as long as the switch is on. Heater shuts on and off but light stays on. I want to locate the pilot light on the wall right above the heater in the bunkhouse.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd get a 12vdc LED pilot light and tap the positive side of it between the thermostat and module and then connect the negative side of it to ground. That way the light will only be on when the thermostat is calling for heat and therefore the burner is on.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

Hey cavie, how ya doing, been a while since I've seen you reply to a post on the forum.
I have the same SW6DE wh, on mine the switch is a blue light which is on whenever the heater is turned on, the DSI Fault is a red LED off to the side of the switch. I do know the gas valve is 12vdc powered when the control board tells it to heat. I don't know how sensitive it is to voltage fluctuation but maybe you can tap into the 12vdc+ wire to the valve so you can connect a light by relay to come on when the valve is open. Attached below is the service manual for Suburban WH. Figure 7 on page 11 is the wiring diagram for the gas control.

Are you saying the electric element is not there or is it not connected to 120vac? The outlet for the 120v is on the left side of the heater tank where it can't be easily seen. Have you checked the ECO/High Limit switch for the if it does not heat via electric. There are 2 ECO/High Limit switches, one for gas, one for electric.

Glad to see you back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban WH Service Manual 05-18-11.pdf (2.78 MB, 67 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'd get a 12vdc LED pilot light and tap the positive side of it between the thermostat and module and then connect the negative side of it to ground. That way the light will only be on when the thermostat is calling for heat and therefore the burner is on.
X2
Pretty simple actually.
Connect a positive wire for the 12v indicator light to the red wire between the t'stat and module board for the power source and connect the negative side of the indicator light to a good 12v ground.

As Bama Rambler mentioned, the indicator light would be on anytime the gas switch is on and the heater is calling for heat. Once the t'stat opens, you'll loose power to the positive wire and the light will go off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban_wh_12v_schematic.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	207679  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
Pretty simple actually.
Connect a positive wire for the 12v indicator light to the red wire between the t'stat and module board for the power source and connect the negative side of the indicator light to a good 12v ground.

As Bama Rambler mentioned, the indicator light would be on anytime the gas switch is on and the heater is calling for heat. Once the t'stat opens, you'll loose power to the positive wire and the light will go off.
Thank you. That's the info I needed. Knowing what wire to hook it to.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

Mistery solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I have an SW6 DE Water Heater WITHOUT ELECTRIC. I don't understate that part but don't care as we use gas. Electric cost $.24 KWh here.

What I need help with is wiring a pilot light to the heater so I know when it is running. We cannot hear it running as we did in the Wildcat 5er. That's how we knew we had plenty of hot water. Wife would hear it shut off and say go take a shower.

The red light stays on as long as the switch is on. Heater shuts on and off but light stays on. I want to locate the pilot light on the wall right above the heater in the bunkhouse.
Finally got time to look into this. Turns out I knew I wasn't crazy. PO changed out the WH. Electric wiring was rerouted and hidden behind the WH. Control box was TY-Warped onto the BACK SIDE of the heater against the outer wall out of sight. Why would you do that? Had to reach around back to find it. Breaker for WH was not labeled. Imagination that. When he was demonstrating the heater it was just happenstance that when he turned on the switch the gas kicked on at the very same time. I questioned it but he said it had to be on so we moved on. All is well in trailer land. I still need to put in a HEATING light as we cannot hear the WH from the inside of the trailer. I'm assuming the little dot light between the pump switch and the heater switch, that is with the tank levels, is the ignition light.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Finally got time to look into this. Turns out I knew I wasn't crazy. PO changed out the WH. Electric wiring was rerouted and hidden behind the WH. Control box was TY-Warped onto the BACK SIDE of the heater against the outer wall out of sight. Why would you do that? Had to reach around back to find it. Breaker for WH was not labeled. Imagination that. When he was demonstrating the heater it was just happenstance that when he turned on the switch the gas kicked on at the very same time. I questioned it but he said it had to be on so we moved on. All is well in trailer land. I still need to put in a HEATING light as we cannot hear the WH from the inside of the trailer. I'm assuming the little dot light between the pump switch and the heater switch, that is with the tank levels, is the ignition light.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I knew I was right on one thing, mine is installed the same way. The outlet and control board is on the back side, which would be the left side of the heater when you look at it from the burner end. Mine is stuck on with double-sided foam tape but the tape didn't stick to the styrofoam insulation. The little dot light is the DSI Fault indicator. If it comes on and stays on you need you turn off the heater's gas switch then back on.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I knew I was right on one thing, mine is installed the same way. The outlet and control board is on the back side, which would be the left side of the heater when you look at it from the burner end. Mine is stuck on with double-sided foam tape but the tape didn't stick to the styrofoam insulation. The little dot light is the DSI Fault indicator. If it comes on and stays on you need you turn off the heater's gas switch then back on.

Tags
heater, water, water heater, wiring