Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Water Pump - Dear Forest River

2017 Cherokee T274RK Travel Trailer

Our 2nd trip out we blew a water pump and figured the cost to bring it to the dealer would not be efficient. Sureflo the pump manufacturer was kind enough to send out the new part.

I decided to try and replace the part myself and after 6 hours or so finally got it in.

Some feedback already received is greatly appreciated. First press my finger on the screw to find out what screw it is. I will definitely buy the Robertson as recommended.

Also, thank you for letting me know the manufacturer does not read these. I will keep my posts just about what is going on and what help I need.

I bet you guys laugh at all the newbie problems.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5793.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	143891  
Shoe1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

First... FR doesn't read these posts.
They 'may catch wind' of certain things but this is a forum of OWNERS not manufacturers.

Second, Installation of items in inaccessible places is common in the R/V industry.
Cramming everything into a small space is all about how the R/V industry builds things.
You'll often need to remove panels, drawers, hinges, just to get to things. it's a fact.

Third, the square headed screws are common fasteners in the R/V industry. They are not 'wierd' but best suited for assembly line manufacturing. Every R/V owner should have the proper square bits. You will need them for everything.

Finally, complete water pump failures are uncommon.
They do not break down frequently.
I have owned 12+ units over the years and never replaced a pump.
Had a few the check valve stuck but that was from debris and not the pump's fault.
There just isn't a lot of posts on the forums I visit about pump replacement.

Best of luck with your new unit.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Thankfully if mine ever goes out it is very easy to get to. I feel your pain though.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe1214 View Post
Feedback for the Forest River folks just in case they are interested.

I own the 2017 Cherokee T274RK Travel Trailer

Our 2nd trip out we blew a water pump and figured the cost to bring it to the dealer would not be efficient. Sureflo the pump manufacturer was kind enough to send out the new part.

I decided to try and replace the part myself and after 6 hours or so finally got it in.

It seems like manufacturing is not concerned about these parts needing to be replaced as the water pump had the hard black wire (in the back of the unit) all the way to the wall with no room to pull it out a bit to repair it.

They also used screws that had a weird fitting (square) which was impossible to tell as you could not get your head into the space to see what you were doing.

If they thought ahead that a new owner such as myself had pride of ownership and was interested in taking care of my rig then maybe they could put the necessary items that break down frequently in a better position?

Your opening line, "Feedback for the Forest River folks just in case they are interested.", implies you assume "Forest River folks" read this forum. A small number of them may but as it states at the bottom of each full site page, "DISCLAIMER - ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

You mentioned "screws that had a weird fitting (square)". I would estimate that 90% of all screws used in all RV trailers are Robertson square drive (#2) screws. These square drive screws have been predominant in all 4 of my trailers.

You implied that water pumps are included in this category: "put the necessary items that break down frequently". I admit water pumps are generally stuffed in a cavity somewhere but it's not my opinion that water pumps break down frequently. I've only had issues with one pump - its anti-reversing check valve had stuck (2x). I had to remove it, disassemble it, unstick the valve and reinstall. I found it easier to unscrew it from the floor before I started working on it.

I suggest you send your suggestions to the Cherokee corporate office (not the parent company, Forest River) rather than posting them here. I wouldn't hope Cherokee people read this forum.

Just tryin' to help.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Those "square headed" screws are called Robertson; they are a Canadian invention.

And here's a tip if you can't see the head of a fastener... press your finger into it firmly for a few seconds.

Hey, look! Combination Phillips/Robertson, #2!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post

And here's a tip if you can't see the head of a fastener... press your finger into it firmly for a few seconds.

Or... "ET.. phone home!"

Seriously, good tip! (literally)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
First... FR doesn't read these posts.
They 'may catch wind' of certain things but this is a forum of OWNERS not manufacturers.

Second, Installation of items in inaccessible places is common in the R/V industry.
Cramming everything into a small space is all about how the R/V industry builds things.
You'll often need to remove panels, drawers, hinges, just to get to things. it's a fact.

Third, the square headed screws are common fasteners in the R/V industry. They are not 'wierd' but best suited for assembly line manufacturing. Every R/V owner should have the proper square bits. You will need them for everything.

Finally, complete water pump failures are uncommon.
They do not break down frequently.
I have owned 12+ units over the years and never replaced a pump.
Had a few the check valve stuck but that was from debris and not the pump's fault.
There just isn't a lot of posts on the forums I visit about pump replacement.

Best of luck with your new unit.
If FR doesn't read these posts, they are missing a wonderful opportunity for improvement.

If I ran such a business and had access to input from thousands of my customers, reading this forum would be my top priority every morning. Why would a company not be vitally interested in what their customers are saying about their products?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
If FR doesn't read these posts, they are missing a wonderful opportunity for improvement.

If I ran such a business and had access to input from thousands of my customers, reading this forum would be my top priority every morning. Why would a company not be vitally interested in what their customers are saying about their products?
I can't prove FR people don't read anything here - but it's probably an error to assume they do. I agree with all you've posted, however. When I was living at my dealership (I DID stay in my trailer in their wash bay on two separate occasions), I TRIED to get the service manager to register here to gain tips on fixing this stuff (Seriously!) but, alas, he did not. FR warranty people don't have time to read this stuff; they are too busy answering warranty calls/emails!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:

I don't know know, why don't you call them up and ask them? I'd be anxious to hear their answer!
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #10

I had to replace my water pump - but it was my fault. I left the pump on and opened the water tank drain when we left the Black Hills for home. Didn't catch it until I was prepping for the next trip. Another SPUT (Stupid Pop-Up Trick) to my credit.

Yes, the water pumps are not easy to access to replace. But I'd rather not give up any more storage space than necessary to "infrastructure" items.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
and yes - shutting off the water pump is part of my pack up checklist, along with closing the roof vent
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #11

Question, which easily accessable storage area would you be willing to give up for the water pump ?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
Question, which easily accessable storage area would you be willing to give up for the water pump ?
Give up space for the pump...no. They don't need to be serviced regularly. But I'd happily give up a bit of useable space to reposition the CCW (not FR1) water filter housing to make it easier to remove the filter.

I might feel differently if I had an A Frame or popup though.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

Just had my pump die as well. Had to replace the pump because it was better than trying to take it apart in the TT, find the right repair kit, and put it on. It was a pain, but, when I called around to various dealers, the soonest they could get me in (and charge me for it) was September! and it was May at the time. While I was squeezing into that little space and disconnecting/connecting things by feel because I couldn't see them while my arms were in the hole, I couldn't help wish that they had even had a panel that could be taken off to access this stuff. My old trailer had the pump under the bed (along with the tank) and it was clearly visible and easy (a relative term) to get at (but that pump worked for 22 years without a hiccup - of course). I hope a previous poster is right about the pumps hardly ever going out. I never had one go out before and had TT's with water pumps for about 40 years. This one went out in 3 years. Not sure why, because there were no leaks and unit was winterized. When I turned it on, it made a funny noise like something plastic was breaking and wouldn't pump even though the motor was running. Some day I will take it apart and see what happened, but, for now the new pump works great, even though it took quite a few hours to get it in (mostly access problems - the pump hookup itself was easy). My sympathies to those replacing them.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Just an FYI:

Frog Bob (Username F.R.O.G) of the Forest River OWNERS Group (a marketing division of Forest River RV Group), is an employee of the parent company of all the many divisions of Forest River.

While he is currently as busy as a wall paper hanger in a wind storm right now due to the international rally, he has been known to pass along tidbits to the divisions affected by posts he reads here.

There are many "stealth members" of various Forest River divisions present here (nearly all are RV owners and frequent the sub-forums of their camper) who pop in to help folks with trouble they are having. They help make this board the great success that is has been and we welcome their input.

They are mostly reluctant to "out" themselves as employees of the company because they would spend entirely too much time handling issues the servicing dealer should be taking care of, rather than camping.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

I might feel differently if I had an A Frame or popup though.
Everyone has to live with the choices they make ! Even the bad ones !
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:

I know for a fact there are more than a few employees of Forest River that read these forums. However, it’s rare for them to identify themselves and I don’t blame them. I sure wouldn’t.

A number of years ago Wildcat Chris (NO LONGER WITH FOREST RIVER) identified himself as a representative of the Wildcat division. While he was very helpful and informative, some forum members treated him as if his only job was to monitor the Wildcat Subforum all day and answer their questions immediately. Never mind that he might be traveling for the company that week or on vacation, if he didn’t answer right away he was considered a jerk. Some forum members expected him to know every inch (including plumbing, electrical, and appliances) of every model ever made for every year. If he didn’t get back to the forum member with an answer within a day, well I guess he was just being a jerk.

Now that I think about it, maybe it was because of his participation in these forums he quit Forest River to work for another company. No, if I worked for Forest River and monitored these forums there is no way I would identify myself as an employee. Too many stupid questions, too many ridiculous questions, and no thanks for answers given. After all it’s his job to monitor these forums and answer questions, right?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I know for a fact there are more than a few employees of Forest River that read these forums. However, it’s rare for them to identify themselves and I don’t blame them. I sure wouldn’t.

A number of years ago Wildcat Chris (NO LONGER WITH FOREST RIVER) identified himself as a representative of the Wildcat division. While he was very helpful and informative, some forum members treated him as if his only job was to monitor the Wildcat Subforum all day and answer their questions immediately. Never mind that he might be traveling for the company that week or on vacation, if he didn’t answer right away he was considered a jerk. Some forum members expected him to know every inch (including plumbing, electrical, and appliances) of every model ever made for every year. If he didn’t get back to the forum member with an answer within a day, well I guess he was just being a jerk.

Now that I think about it, maybe it was because of his participation in these forums he quit Forest River to work for another company. No, if I worked for Forest River and monitored these forums there is no way I would identify myself as an employee. Too many stupid questions, too many ridiculous questions, and no thanks for answers given. After all it’s his job to monitor these forums and answer questions, right?
Well said!
dthomso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
Those "square headed" screws are called Robertson; they are a Canadian invention.

In regards to Fasteners used in the Industry,I bought a "Bear Cat" trailer made in Goshen,In. It had "8" point button head fasteners that secured the Alum.Smooth siding! At first I took it to be Torx Bit but they are (6) sided,so I called the Bearcat factory and ask where I could Buy a (8) sided Bit for these {Odd/Special) bits,the Girl laughted and said "Use a #2 Square Bit""! Youroo!!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Agree. I wouldn't admit it either, but I sure would let my company know what their customers are saying about them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe1214 View Post
2017 Cherokee T274RK Travel Trailer

Some feedback already received is greatly appreciated. First press my finger on the screw to find out what screw it is. I will definitely buy the Robertson as recommended.

Also, thank you for letting me know the manufacturer does not read these. I will keep my posts just about what is going on and what help I need.

I bet you guys laugh at all the newbie problems.

Thanks again
Please enlighten us. When you say you "blew a water pump", what actually failed?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, pump, water, water pump