Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Water Pump Delay

have new XLR 29mbv. when I turn on the water pump I get water from faucet. but after 30 min. of inactivity and come back to faucet nothing comes out. I can turn the handle to on and leave it and after about twenty min. it starts running. Can someone tell me how it is supposed to work....... thanks, Jay
jayrzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #2

Surely isn't supposed to work like that. Water should flow just like at home more or less. The water pumps have a pressure switch on them that senses the pressure drop in the system and turns the pump on. This is usually fairly instant. Need to do some trouble shooting. Is it the same for the other faucets, toilet, shower?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm going to make some assumptions, you will have to make them true. Your trailer is level or almost level. You have plenty of water in the tank. You are not connected to city city water. Your battery is fully charged or you are on shore power, and have a good 12 volts. You also have bled all the air out of the water heater by opening a hot faucet and running at least 2 minutes, and running other hot faucets, including the shower, for at least one minute. You have bled all the air out of the cold water lines at all faucets, including the shower and the toilet. After you have done all this, you still have plenty of water in tank, and you still have a good 12 volts. All water is off, pump is ON, and not running. end of assumptions.

Now wait 5 minutes, and turn on a cold faucet. Water should flow, and the pump should start to run very soon, usually less than 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, close that faucet and flush the toilet, water should run and the pump should start, again within 10 seconds. If not, you may have a bad pressure switch in the pump. If water doesn't run, stopped up filter if you have one.

Hope all of this helps.

One last thing, never leave the pump on when on city water. City water supplies pressure to the system, and the pump is not required. The pump is only used to draw water from the tank when no city water connection is available.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #4

thanks for the replys. I will try it again tonight with your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Well, I'm going to make some assumptions, you will have to make them true. Your trailer is level or almost level. Trailer is level. You have plenty of water in the tank. tank is 2/3 full. You are not connected to city city water. No Your battery is fully charged or you are on shore power, and have a good 12 volts. Battery disconnected. trailer connected to 110 outlet with 30 amp adapter. You also have bled all the air out of the water heater by opening a hot faucet and running at least 2 minutes, and running other hot faucets, bled the air from the release valve on water heater but ran water from faucet only about 10 seconds when it was first working. No did not do the shower. including the shower, for at least one minute. You have bled all the air out of the cold water lines at all faucets, including the shower and the toilet. After you have done all this, you still have plenty of water in tank, and you still have a good 12 volts. All water is off, pump is ON, and not running. end of assumptions.

Now wait 5 minutes, and turn on a cold faucet. Water should flow, and the pump should start to run very soon, usually less than 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, close that faucet and flush the toilet, water should run and the pump should start, again within 10 seconds. If not, you may have a bad pressure switch in the pump. If water doesn't run, stopped up filter if you have one.

Hope all of this helps.

One last thing, never leave the pump on when on city water. City water supplies pressure to the system, and the pump is not required. The pump is only used to draw water from the tank when no city water connection is available.
jayrzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Now I have to ask, if you are on shore power, why is your battery disconnected? I'm not sure what converter you have, but it may not have enough amperage to start the pump by itself. Since there is no battery, the converter may go in to float mode, providing little or no current, thinking the battery is fully charged. I would connect the battery and give it a try. Also test an AC outlet with a vacuum cleaner or something to make sure you have AC coming to the trailer. Breakers have been known to trip and 30 amp to 15 amp adapters have been found to be bad, thus providing no AC even though everything was plugged in. Let us know what you find.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote