Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Water tank emptying

My fresh water tank emptys out of the overflo tube while driving even though the tank has only 1/3 tank of water...... took it in to be checked under warrenty, found nothing wrong and was charged $45.00 for checking it out. Was told that this is normal, the warrenty repair faculity.
Had to put a rubber hose with a cap on it to have water when reching the campsite....
Any ideas as to why this happens??
2011 Greywolf 26LR
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Never had this issue, the only time I have seen it pump out of the overflow is when it is truly overflowing during a fill. I would be inclined to get a second opinion. Kinda defeated the purpose of taking water with you if it all sloshes out in transit.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Brain storm. There might be a dip tube into the tank and if it where too long, it would pre maturely overflow. Don't know tho, never dismantled a holding tank.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hard call on the forum. Drain it, with the drain, then start filling with 5 gallons buckets. Watch the overflow, and see if it will hold the advertised amount. That is number 1. Take it around the block, the drain in 5 gallon buckets. See how much you loose. If very little, have to rethink.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

My 374 does the same. I put a piece of duct tape on the overflow hose. The water seems to siphon out when driving, I think it creates a suction through the overflow. Someone in earlier discussions put a valve on to prevent this.
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

We are probably going to go the rally this year and will also ask during the tour and various people from Forest river if there has been enough complaints to have a fix on this problem.
In the mean time we carry 2 empty 5 gallon water containers with us. Just in case.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water