Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

HELP!!! Water Tank issues

We are new to owning a camper (just a few months). We don’t use much water. We try to take very quick showers. We always leave our valve cracked just a tad so it can drip but it seems like we ALWAYS have to go open & dump it because water starts to fill up in the tub or sinks and won’t drain. Is this normal? Are the tanks just really small? Is there anything we can do to help with this?
cajclittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

There are literally thousands of different trailers and motorhomes out there. You're going to have to provide much more information if you want help in resolving this. What type of camper do you have? What year? You need to provide the exact model number too. It's best to put all that information in your signature block like I have. Doing that makes it much easier to answer questions.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajclittleton View Post
We are new to owning a camper (just a few months). We don’t use much water. We try to take very quick showers. We always leave our valve cracked just a tad so it can drip but it seems like we ALWAYS have to go open & dump it because water starts to fill up in the tub or sinks and won’t drain. Is this normal? Are the tanks just really small? Is there anything we can do to help with this?
Here are the specs for your TT:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...28dbud-tr19757

Without knowing how many are using the trailer, it's not easy to answer your questions.
For a family of 5-6, yes the tanks can fill quickly.
Sounds like you are dry camping or boondocking. Since you are new, I would suggest that you camp with full hookups until you and your family get a handle on water usage, like doing Navy showers. Kids are extremely wasteful with water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There are literally thousands of different trailers and motorhomes out there. You're going to have to provide much more information if you want help in resolving this. What type of camper do you have? What year? You need to provide the exact model number too. It's best to put all that information in your signature block like I have. Doing that makes it much easier to answer questions.
All the information is in their profile. 2014 Wildwood 28DBUD.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #5

Have you considered adding a tote to your camper? You can dump to the tote and pull it behind your tow vehicle without having to break camp. There is even a carrier for the tote that attaches to the bumper for transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tote.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	259340  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #6

It is just me, my husband, & 2 small children whom I bathe. Us adults never take longer than a 2-3 minute shower. I only turn the water on the get wet & to wash soap off. Same for my kiddos. It just seems like it doesn’t take much to fill up.

As long as thats normal we are perfectly fine with it. I just wanted to ask to make sure.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

I’m sorry. I’m also new to the forum. I thought I posted my camper info.
It is a 2014 FR Wildwood 28DBUD
Old 07-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Here are the specs for your TT:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...28dbud-tr19757

Without knowing how many are using the trailer, it's not easy to answer your questions.
For a family of 5-6, yes the tanks can fill quickly.
Sounds like you are dry camping or boondocking. Since you are new, I would suggest that you camp with full hookups until you and your family get a handle on water usage, like doing Navy showers. Kids are extremely wasteful with water.

Not to sound silly, but what is boondocking/dry camping?

We have our camper at a campground. It stays there through the summer. We keep it hooked ip to water & electric the entire time. We just turn our water heater off, close propane tanks, and turn off water valve on our hose when we leave.. to prevent any leaks while we are gone
Old 07-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Not to sound silly, but what is boondocking/dry camping?

We have our camper at a campground. It stays there through the summer. We keep it hooked ip to water & electric the entire time. We just turn our water heater off, close propane tanks, and turn off water valve on our hose when we leave.. to prevent any leaks while we are gone
Dry camping is camping in developed campsites that have no hookups of any kind.
Boondocking is camping where there is no developed sites, like national forests or the desert.
So you had W/E hookups but no sewer hookups.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Dry camping is camping in developed campsites that have no hookups of any kind.
Boondocking is camping where there is no developed sites, like national forests or the desert.
So you had W/E hookups but no sewer hookups.
Yes we do have sewer hookups but we don’t actually hook ours up. We pay someone that comes around the site & dumps for those who pay.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Yes we do have sewer hookups but we don’t actually hook ours up. We pay someone that comes around the site & dumps for those who pay.
Well, if you choose not take advantage of on-site sewer hookups, you'll continue having to deal with water usage issues.
Is there a particular reason you don't connect to the sewer hookup because I don't understand why not and you'd rather put yourself through all this trouble.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, if you choose not take advantage of on-site sewer hookups, you'll continue having to deal with water usage issues.
Is there a particular reason you don't connect to the sewer hookup because I don't understand and why you're putting yourself through all this trouble.
Honestly, the site we are at, apparently the owner has had some issues with the corp. So basically until he gets things fixed we aren’t supposed to leave our sewer hooked up. We were advised to keep them hidden in case someone was to show up from the corp?!?! It confuses me really.
There are hundreds of campers at the site. We just try to follow the rules
Old 07-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Honestly, the site we are at, apparently the owner has had some issues with the corp. So basically until he gets things fixed we aren’t supposed to leave our sewer hooked up. We were advised to keep them hidden in case someone was to show up from the corp?!?! It confuses me really.

There are hundreds of campers at the site. We just try to follow the rules
That's crazy![emoji2962]
Old 07-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #14

I am new to forum. I have a 2017 Forrest river Salem. We camped for two days washed dishes. Flushed toilets, and my wife took one shower and the water ran out. Is that normal. I have owned four campers
Mhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhuff View Post
Don't know if my question posted. We camped for 2 days. We flushed toilets, washed dishes, and wife took shower. Then ran out of water. Is that normal for a 2017 Forrest river Salem
Welcome to the forum!! I see it is your 1st post..

You might get more responses if you start your own thread, listing you R/V information and asking your question rather than piggybacking onto someone else's thread.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water tank, water, tank