Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 4
WDH overkill

New to this forum. I have found lots of info so far. Thanks.

Iím sure this has been answered but I could not find a definitive answer? Is it not a good idea to have a wdh that is rated over my toy hauler weight? Iím picking up a Evo 178 rt. Itís a small toy hauler. Sticker says tongue weight of around 500#s and dry weight of around 3500#s. I have found a used Equalizer wdh that has a tongue weight rating 1400#s. Obviously overkill but it seems like a good deal. Again my question is... is this too much hitch for my setup? And why?

Thanks
NWEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 AM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 24,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEvo View Post
New to this forum. I have found lots of info so far. Thanks.

Iím sure this has been answered but I could not find a definitive answer? Is it not a good idea to have a wdh that is rated over my toy hauler weight? Iím picking up a Evo 178 rt. Itís a small toy hauler. Sticker says tongue weight of around 500#s and dry weight of around 3500#s. I have found a used Equalizer wdh that has a tongue weight rating 1400#s. Obviously overkill but it seems like a good deal. Again my question is... is this too much hitch for my setup? And why?

Thanks
Hard to say since you didn't provide any information on what you are towing with, neither in your post nor in your profile.
If you've got a 1 ton, then you may not need a WDH. Your vehicle's owners manual should tell you when you need a WDH.
I would say that a 1400lb WDH is overkill for that trailer. A 1000lb WDH would be more appropriate.

And Welcome to FRF from Camano Island.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,118
X2 on not enough info and overkill. Also there is a POSSIBILITY that being a toy hauler that your tongue weight will drop when hauling a toy. Making WDH unnecessary though sway might still be needed
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 952
Welcome!
As said, 1400lb is too much. I'm guessing your GTW is around the 5000lb mark which would put your tongue in the 700lb range when ready to roll. So you should be looking at a WDH under 1000lb. That model probably has some wiggle room as to how far fore/ aft you can load the toys so you can tune your tongue weight to a degree. Something like this comes closer to what you need.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17051.html
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 947
The hitch is several parts that can be expensive. Used can save money. See how much it cost to by replacement spring bars that are more rated for your load.
__________________
2019 Forest River Forester MBS 2401R
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 328
You could also look in to the cost of buying new bars for the hitch you are looking at. We were able to upgrade the bars on our Reese wdh when we moved up to the Roo. That would also leave you with a heavier set for the next trailer...........
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hard to say since you didn't provide any information on what you are towing with, neither in your post nor in your profile.
If you've got a 1 ton, then you may not need a WDH. Your vehicle's owners manual should tell you when you need a WDH.
I would say that a 1400lb WDH is overkill for that trailer. A 1000lb WDH would be more appropriate.

And Welcome to FRF from Camano Island.

I should have stated I will be pulling it with 2018 Toyota Tundra. I have not looked at the manual to see when I need a wdh. But I will be using a wdh with sway control regardless. I know a 1400# rated wdh is overkill but is there a reason not to use one that is overkill? Will the wdh break or bend something or not work like itís supposed to?
NWEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
The hitch is several parts that can be expensive. Used can save money. See how much it cost to by replacement spring bars that are more rated for your load.
I looked into replacing the spring bars with ones that would be rated closer for my needs. On the Equalizer website itís says the spring bars are only compatible with the matching weight rating hitch head.
NWEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
Brake is on left
 
The Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEvo View Post
. I know a 1400# rated wdh is overkill but is there a reason not to use one that is overkill? Will the wdh break or bend something or not work like itís supposed to?
It will not break, but the ride would be very rough. On top of that, there would likely be too much weight taken off the rear axle of the Tundra. Would likely lead to handling issues.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 4,126
Too much is as bad as too little from what I've read.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEvo View Post
I should have stated I will be pulling it with 2018 Toyota Tundra. I have not looked at the manual to see when I need a wdh.

I was towing a 7x14' box trailer back and forth between PA and FLA a bunch of times as we moved. I was using a 2018 Ram 3500 dually (14,000gvwr) and still ran a WDH. it makes the truck ride better.
__________________
2019 Forest River Forester MBS 2401R
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
It will not break, but the ride would be very rough. On top of that, there would likely be too much weight taken off the rear axle of the Tundra. Would likely lead to handling issues.
Thanks for the reply. Both your points make sense. I will be looking for a wdh that is closer to my weight needs.
NWEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.