Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
RV Mobile Repair

We bit the bullet - purchased a Surveyor 251RKS today!

It was a hard decision but since we love winter camping and this Surveyor 251RKS has the artic package we signed the papers today! My wife loves the layout over the 265RLDS mainly because the sofa and dinette is much larger in the 251 and I like the 251 because the gray water tank holds 20 more gallons and the awning is 3 foot longer. Big decision is the 251 was $4k less!

Anyway, we take possession in a few weeks. Can't wait because we are in a two season tt and it's cold here in Oregon.

I'm sure the 4 season Surveyor will be much warmer . . .
Hudgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!

Harris Beach is one of our favorite campgrounds.

Hate to tell you but the Surveyor is not 4 Season.
FR doesn't make any true 4 Season RVs.
No where close to Arctic Fox trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #3

Congrats on your new trailer! Yes, the four season claim is often misleading. First of all, four seasons in Texas is much different than in North Dakota and the arctic pack often only means there is heating pads on the bottom of the water/waste tanks and the underbelly is enclosed. Hopefully yours comes with dual pane windows. Single pane windows will fill with condensation in cold weather. There are lots of tips to found on this forum for extending the camping season so be sure to ask questions if you have any.
While no camper is really factory ready for extended sub-zero use some can be used well below freezing when insulated properly. Good luck with your new Surveyor!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
RV Mobile Repair

This 251 has tank heaters, double pane windows and enclosed heated underbelly so I guess that makes it much better than the one I'm in currently. I'll be satisfied . . .

By the way, what makes a real 4 season tt anyway?
Hudgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Surveyor 251RKS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

The problem with the four season claim is there is no standard. It is the fourth season that comes into question. Winter where I live sub-zero temps are common and generally not suitable for camper use. The Oregon coast would be a different story. Your new camper would likely do very well there. Also misleading is the "Arctic Pack" term that conjures up images of camping somewhere on the tundra. The reality is most campers, even those with the Arctic pack, have thin roofs, walls and no underbelly insulation. Add un-insulated ceiling vents, A/C and slide-out openings and you get the idea. People do use their campers in very cold winter weather but often it is not without its difficulties. You just bought a great trailer so unless you plan on winter camping in Winnipeg you won't have a problem.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
PowerSports 'R' us

Besides the tank heaters, I always look at the R rating on the insulation, like when you see R38 in the floor etc, you know you're covered for colder weather camping.

Big Congrats on your new TT!, hope you have many fun and safe years with it!
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Bought a 251rks earlier this year...works as a four season down south but will say the furnace gets a workout when the temperature drops...great trailer...enjoy!
SCtravler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor