Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Weather stations-indoor/outdoor thermometers

Been looking for an indoor/outdoor thermometer or weather station for the camper.

The geek in me would love to have a full weather station but the lazy in me doesn't want to put it up/take it down while travelling. With that in mind, I'll probably go with a simple indoor/outdoor thermometer.

If you have one, where do you place your external sensor?
Old 03-11-2022, 11:02 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have my own pro grade weather station at home (Davis). On the road, I use an Ambient Weather console in the trailer for monitoring indoor conditions and keeping humidity at bay. I'm only concerned about temp and humidity on the road. Being able to calibrate the sensors is important to me, as I often discover sensors out of the box reading high or low. I can't stand Acurite (I call it AcuWRONG) stuff, can't be calibrated, and is marketed towards shoppers in big box stores looking for some colorful or gimmicky thing that don't care about calibration.

Outdoor sensor placement is important, as sun will grossly change temp and humidity readings. So will placement above asphalt/rock, as they are heat sinks and will influence readings. I may have sensor under canopy on a table, but then have to move it onto propane tank cover as the sun shifts.

***edit: This is how much a weather geek I am. I follow the sensor site guidelines on my home station. Now everybody is buying weather stations and posting data online, and many of them are poorly sited sensors giving bad data. Not everyone can follow these guidelines to a T due to their property or whatever, but then there are those who make zero effort.

https://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/...013002curr.pdf
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littoral Adventures View Post
Been looking for an indoor/outdoor thermometer or weather station for the camper.

The geek in me would love to have a full weather station but the lazy in me doesn't want to put it up/take it down while travelling. With that in mind, I'll probably go with a simple indoor/outdoor thermometer.

If you have one, where do you place your external sensor?
Mine hangs off the back of the bottom of my 5th wheel hitch where it is out of the sun (as Kris mentioned) but easily spotted when hooking-up so it isn't forgotten.

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

OK, I’m kinda like Kris as I’m somewhat a weather nut (not saying Kris is a nut..lol) but I am.

I’ve recently added a weather station setup to my RV ladder. As the op said he does not want the hassle of setup and tear down and neither did I. There fore I bought the Flagpole Buddy ladder mount and two 2”x 4’ long poles from Flagpole Buddy and mounted the ladder mount and wala I can put my weather station up and take it down in just a minute.

I also purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2902C WiFi Smart Weather Station. See link attached.

Also attached is a link to Flagpole Buddy site..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://flagpolebuddy.com/how-it-works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100A0F98-FE15-4578-804D-AB9DF3CCE80B.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	269918   Click image for larger version

Name:	28393BDB-A238-426F-B8BB-952B1E736716.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	269919  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #5

I'm old-fashioned when it comes to weather measurements.

I look out the window before I go out and dress accordingly.

Where I live the weather changes so often, and is affected greatly by our varied geography, any forecast is at best a wild guess.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Newentor-Wire...89651479&psc=1

I use one like this. I put the outside sensor on top of a rear tire, out of the rain. After buying two more sensors after driving over them, I put a sock on the gear shift knob as a reminder.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hah! I stow the console before pulling chocks (it's on a kickstand), that reminds me to bring in sensor.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have my own pro grade weather station at home (Davis). On the road, I use an Ambient Weather console in the trailer for monitoring indoor conditions and keeping humidity at bay. I'm only concerned about temp and humidity on the road. Being able to calibrate the sensors is important to me, as I often discover sensors out of the box reading high or low. I can't stand Acurite (I call it AcuWRONG) stuff, can't be calibrated, and is marketed towards shoppers in big box stores looking for some colorful or gimmicky thing that don't care about calibration.
I'm primarily concerned with temp and wind speed at home - more just temp on the road but wind speed would be "nice" at times.

I've had several of the Accurite "systems" and their accuracy has been all over the map, especially with the less expensive units.

Providing we can still afford to travel this summer, I want to be able to record temps at a minimum. Wind would be nice, especially in SD and WY.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
OK, I’m kinda like Kris as I’m somewhat a weather nut (not saying Kris is a nut..lol) but I am.

I’ve recently added a weather station setup to my RV ladder. As the op said he does not want the hassle of setup and tear down and neither did I. There fore I bought the Flagpole Buddy ladder mount and two 2”x 4’ long poles from Flagpole Buddy and mounted the ladder mount and wala I can put my weather station up and take it down in just a minute.

I also purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2902C WiFi Smart Weather Station. See link attached.

Also attached is a link to Flagpole Buddy site..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://flagpolebuddy.com/how-it-works
That's a neat set-up but that's where I'll be flying my flag.

I might could raise the flag higher and put a weather station on one rail with the flag on the other rail.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #10

Weather stations-indoor/outdoor thermometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littoral Adventures View Post
That's a neat set-up but that's where I'll be flying my flag.

I might could raise the flag higher and put a weather station on one rail with the flag on the other rail.

Yeah that is what I thought I only have my WeatherStation raised about a foot above the air conditioning shroud.

I thought maybe if I wanted to raise a flag it would obviously fly higher.

Flag pole buddy system is so convenient but it is kind of expensive but I like using it because it only takes me a minute to put my weather station up and to take it down.

Anyway a thought good luck with your research

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
Open Space Wanted

Quote:

Outdoor sensor placement is important, as sun will grossly change temp and humidity readings. So will placement above asphalt/rock, as they are heat sinks and will influence readings. I may have sensor under canopy on a table, but then have to move it onto propane tank cover as the sun shifts.

***edit: This is how much a weather geek I am. I follow the sensor site guidelines on my home station. Now everybody is buying weather stations and posting data online, and many of them are poorly sited sensors giving bad data. Not everyone can follow these guidelines to a T due to their property or whatever, but then there are those who make zero effort.

https://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/...013002curr.pdf
Welcome to crowdsourcing. GIGO. Waze, Gas Buddy et al.

Looked at doing a WX station for the RV but didn't need the hassle of setup/teardown. I'm more general and want a good enough temperature and humidity reading inside and out. It's a touch screen with a timed blue light, large numbers to see from further away, replaceable batteries and rechargeable remote sensor. The inside unit is on the fridge and outdoor sensor on one of the bottom rungs from the rear ladder. As the saying goes...good enough for government work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	269960  
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:08 PM   #12

I leave my remote sensor on a leveling jack so I'll remember to take it.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #13

I have a Davis professional weather station at home but in the camper I only care about inside and outside temps.

I purchased an atomic wall clock from Amazon that has indoor temp and a remote outdoor temp sensor. Its fairly accurate comparing it to the professional station while at the house. I zip tied the remote sensor to a frame gusset near the slide on the underside of the camper. In this location it's always in the shade and never affected by the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B3XQ337
Old 03-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Welcome to crowdsourcing. GIGO. Waze, Gas Buddy et al.
At least Gas Buddy it's kind of hard to screw up copying prices from a sign to the app. But on Waze, what the heck is up with all the 'road hazard ahead' reports, just to see a car parked on the grass off road, that is no hazard at all??? That drives me nuts. Who is doing this? Little kids? Do people get some sort of 'reward' for the stuff they report? This always mystified me. I have no clue what GIGO is. Maybe I'm getting old. I'm 56 now. Already, I don't know most of new music. I'm becoming my Dad.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #15

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

As I "mention" to many, consider the source.
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM2109S View Post
GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

As I "mention" to many, consider the source.
My engineering prof used to say that. Never abbreviated it though, I thought it was some new app!
Old 03-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
At least Gas Buddy it's kind of hard to screw up copying prices from a sign to the app. But on Waze, what the heck is up with all the 'road hazard ahead' reports, just to see a car parked on the grass off road, that is no hazard at all??? That drives me nuts. Who is doing this? Little kids? Do people get some sort of 'reward' for the stuff they report? This always mystified me. I have no clue what GIGO is. Maybe I'm getting old. I'm 56 now. Already, I don't know most of new music. I'm becoming my Dad.
Yes the Waze “hazard on shoulder” for a car on the shoulder is super annoying. Go to the settings on the Waze app, go down to Alerts and Reports, then click reports, go down to hazards on shoulder, turn off Alert while driving. It will still show it on the map, but you don’t get the voice alert.

The problem is if they report the hazard wrong and choose “hazard on road”, well then there’s not much you can do. You can turn the voice alert for that off too, but then when there is a tire carcass or 2 by 4 in the road you won’t hear the warning.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Exactly why I didn't want to mute alerts, every once in while they are useful, but 9 times out of 10 some dummy reports a car on the grass. Super annoying. It's like maniacs are out there punching the 'report' button every mile.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #19

I have a Taylor indoor/outdoor, multi-channel unit. The outside sensor is in a ziploc in the pin box. I have remote sensors in the refrigerator, freezer, and wet bay. So I can watch the wet bay temp in fall and spring. I also have a master unit at home that connects with most of the sensors so I can monitor things from inside the house also.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #20
Camping the Natural State

What is a "wet bay".

Tags
door