Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Weight Distribution

My wife and I are newbies, bought our TT last April and used it 3 times last year. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado with the factory towing package. Specs says it can tow 9,000 lbs. I say I'll never want to get close to 6,000 lbs. My Salem Lite is 4,000 lbs. empty. When we tow, I don't pack much in the trailer except food and some clothes. My camping gear in buckets, extra table and chairs, firewood, normal equipment, etc. are typically thrown in the back of the pickup. Usually it's just the two of us or maybe a grandchild or two in the truck. Is this the best approach for weight distribution, putting most of it in the truck? Is there an advantage or disadvantage of loading more into the trailer and less in the truck?
Ted
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

I don't think the amount of weight you are talking about is going to make a difference either way. I would go with whatever is more convenient. You don't say if your TT was bought new. If it was I would change out the tires in April as the factory tires are more than likely junk.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
My wife and I are newbies, bought our TT last April and used it 3 times last year. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado with the factory towing package. Specs says it can tow 9,000 lbs. I say I'll never want to get close to 6,000 lbs. My Salem Lite is 4,000 lbs. empty. When we tow, I don't pack much in the trailer except food and some clothes. My camping gear in buckets, extra table and chairs, firewood, normal equipment, etc. are typically thrown in the back of the pickup. Usually it's just the two of us or maybe a grandchild or two in the truck. Is this the best approach for weight distribution, putting most of it in the truck? Is there an advantage or disadvantage of loading more into the trailer and less in the truck?
Ted
Hi Ted.......FWIW, get ready for an earful!..........lots of very knowledgeable people on here.....(assuming you are wanting to do the job correctly).....they will want to know your Payload capacity, tongue weight, etc......all pertinent info., again to do the job correctly .....
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

I would at least load something in the front storage area. Tongue weight is your friend for stable towing.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Hi Ted.......FWIW, get ready for an earful!..........lots of very knowledgeable people on here.....(assuming you are wanting to do the job correctly).....they will want to know your Payload capacity, tongue weight, etc......all pertinent info., again to do the job correctly .....
And, of course, what type of WDH you use or plan to use.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

The most important thing is tongue weight. Too much may put your TV over its payload and\or rear axle ratings. Too little TT will sway. Recommended TW is 10-15% of TT weight. But at the same time you're putting a lot of weight on the rear of TV just by hitching up. The more TW you have, the less front axle weight you will have. Also, this includes anything you put in the bed of truck after the rear axle. This takes weight off front axle, affecting steering and braking inputs. Your best bet is to hit the CAT scales with everything ready to camp and follow this worksheet for TT's. RV Weighing Worksheet Hope this helps.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll have my local tire store check them out. Yes, bought new last April and loving it.
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Just the short answer is your truck can tow / pull more than it can carry.

But you should be fine......... go to a CAT scale and weigh you may be surprised in the total amount of weight you have there. Empty weight is that once with no gear and usually no propane etc.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #9

Can't tell one way or the other. TV cargo capacity is listed on the yellow door sticker. Tongue weight, weights of stuff in the truck bed and people in the truck, etc. should not exceed that number. Now as noted, tongue weight should be 10-15% of total weight, so if you are over your cargo weight because of stuff in the truck bed, you can "buy back" 85-90% of that capacity by moving some of the stuff into the trailer - as long as you don't exceed the GVW of the trailer. Only way to be absolutely certain you have your stuff in the "right" place - stop at a scale and get weighed.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight