Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Weight limit on roof

Just getting into this RV'ing thing and I am hesitant to get up on the roof to place a cover on my Forest River 25RR. I am not sure if its possible or if there is a weight limit for the roof.
Also I have a round dish on the roof as an antenna and concerned that I should place a box or something over it before paying the cover on the RV.

Thank you all for ant answers in advance.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

Roof will be fine. I just walk lightly on mine when I clean it and put cover on it. As for the Omnidirectional Antenna, I have a bucket that is about 1/8" taller than the Antenna. I put the bucket over it, put foam covers on the downspout extensions on the gutters and roll out the cover. Be careful with the cover so you don't step on something that's covered up.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

I roll in at a svelte 235 and I can say that our roof is fine.

Marty
Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Roof will be fine. I just walk lightly on mine when I clean it and put cover on it. As for the Omnidirectional Antenna, I have a bucket that is about 1/8" taller than the Antenna. I put the bucket over it, put foam covers on the downspout extensions on the gutters and roll out the cover. Be careful with the cover so you don't step on something that's covered up.
Yep, I am gonna find something to put over the top of the antenna myself. As for snow build up I don't see me doing much in the line of snow removal from the cover. If I could walk on it a few inches of snow should be fine, Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
Yep, I am gonna find something to put over the top of the antenna myself. As for snow build up I don't see me doing much in the line of snow removal from the cover. If I could walk on it a few inches of snow should be fine, Thanks
I've had up to almost 2' of snow on our current TT last winter and the TT before that we had 3.5' of snow on it one winter. I did get a ladder out and carefully removed the snow off the roof as we did get a major storm that would've put over 4' of snow on the TT roof. Probably would've been ok, but I didn't want to take a chance.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

The limiting factor is often the ladder. If you aren't causing the ladder to creak and groan loudly, good to go on the roof.

Just don't dance on it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've had up to almost 2' of snow on our current TT last winter and the TT before that we had 3.5' of snow on it one winter. I did get a ladder out and carefully removed the snow off the roof as we did get a major storm that would've put over 4' of snow on the TT roof. Probably would've been ok, but I didn't want to take a chance.

I don't worry too much about snow unless it starts to rain on the accumulated white stuff. THAT's when it gets H-E-A-V-Y.

Like you I remove snow using a ladder and a plastic snow shovel. Prefer to do it while soft and fluffy rather than wet and compact.

Of course we rarely see snow 2' or more deep (even accumulated). If we did the area would be declared a disaster zone with transportation totally paralyzed. People here freak out when they see a few snowflakes hit their windshield and an inch of snow on the road often causes people to abandon their cars alongside the highway

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

6 foot 4 and almost 280. Never had an issue on the 5 different units ive owned. I do stay low and try to spread my weight out.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

Wanted to ask if this statement is True or False.

Been told that if a travel trailer has a Factory mounted ladder it's OK to walk on the roof with no issues.
Also is it Ok to sit on your roof while watching say a NASCAR race if trailer has OEM ladder.

If the travel trailer wasn't designed and made with a factory OEM ladder then you shouldn't walk around on the roof at all.

What's the truth.

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
If the travel trailer wasn't designed and made with a factory OEM ladder then you shouldn't walk around on the roof at all.
My hybrid has no place to put a ladder, but I walk my 250# up there all the time. I would not watch a race from the roof though.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post

Been told that if a travel trailer has a Factory mounted ladder it's OK to walk on the roof with no issues.
Also is it Ok to sit on your roof while watching say a NASCAR race if trailer has OEM ladder.

What's the truth.

My Rockwood does not have a ladder, it has the same laminated roof as a Rockwood with a ladder. I call BS on whoever came up with that one. You can do the Merengue on a Rockwood laminated roof.

We had a Keystone TT. The 8mm plywood was stapled into steel roof trusses. Sure you could walk on it, but only if you wanted to hear wood cracking, moans and groans, and wanted to see staples start backing out through the membrane. And that was if you were careful and only stepped on the trusses @ 2' on center. It had a ladder.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't worry too much about snow unless it starts to rain on the accumulated white stuff. THAT's when it gets H-E-A-V-Y.

Like you I remove snow using a ladder and a plastic snow shovel. Prefer to do it while soft and fluffy rather than wet and compact.

Of course we rarely see snow 2' or more deep (even accumulated). If we did the area would be declared a disaster zone with transportation totally paralyzed. People here freak out when they see a few snowflakes hit their windshield and an inch of snow on the road often causes people to abandon their cars alongside the highway
In Nebraska we can get a fair share of the "Wet" heavy stuff. The year I shoveled the roof I had to take if off in layers as it was too heavy if you took from the bottom. All I ever use up there is small plastic and work my way down but I don't go all the way to the cover....I let the sun take care of that.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:

What's the truth.
Two TT's...2007 Jayco and 2018 Cherokee. Neither had ladder and I was on roof Spring and Fall to clean and cover, then uncover and treat for camping season.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

Snow weight will probably not hurt the roof as it's close to uniformly spread but can severely depress the suspension and tires, and perhaps collapse any stabilizers if down (they should NOT be).

How heavy? Early season snow (which tends to be wet) can weigh 20 pounds per cubic foot. You know how heavy it is on the snow shovel! 8' by 20' roof is 160 sf. One foot of snow makes 160 cubic feet or 3200 pounds of snow! Snow Belt can get 3' in a day! (Worst case and all numbers rounded for easy math.}

-- Chuck
Old 11-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #15

I used to have a 40' Montana 5er until this spring. We usually get a lot of snow here but last year it was unusually deep and heavy from periods of freezing rain. Normally the snow would slide off or blow off when it got fairly thick but the layers of freezing rain seemed to bind it together. I did not want to go up on the roof. I tried to clear some off from the ground but I should have tried harder. I came out of the house one morning and the front jacks had completely collapsed and the front nose was resting on the ground. Fortunately I have a good relationship with my dealer and he sent a service crew to get it back up off the ground and tow it into their shop for repairs. That was a pricey lesson.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The limiting factor is often the ladder. If you aren't causing the ladder to creak and groan loudly, good to go on the roof.

Just don't dance on it.
Sometimes you are da weenshield and sometimes you are da bug.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

What's the truth.
One thing about the RV world, there are NO absolutes!

Just cause it has a roof ladder, is no guarantee that you can walk on it or sit on it.

Just because it doesn't have a factory ladder, doesn't necessarily mean you can't walk on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
rbq

Look up assembly videos of your unit or some similar product. The assemblers walk on roof to put on AC, vent covers, antenna, etc.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #19

ladder. walking on roof

We have a 2019, 2109S, mini-lite with a ladder and I climb on the roof pretty regularly, but I weigh 150 #, there are no creaks, crackles or other sounds from the roof.
Every choice is an opportunity to say yes to God.
221fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Snow weight will probably not hurt the roof as it's close to uniformly spread but can severely depress the suspension and tires, and perhaps collapse any stabilizers if down (they should NOT be).

How heavy? Early season snow (which tends to be wet) can weigh 20 pounds per cubic foot. You know how heavy it is on the snow shovel! 8' by 20' roof is 160 sf. One foot of snow makes 160 cubic feet or 3200 pounds of snow! Snow Belt can get 3' in a day! (Worst case and all numbers rounded for easy math.}

-- Chuck
That is something I was debating on: weather or not to extend the stabilizers for winter storage.
I opted not to as my RV is in the yard up on 2X10's that are on top of concrete bricks. Did not want my tires on the directly on the ground for the winter.

Tags
roo, roof, weight