Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to amateur weekend

Sitting in line at the dump station today I saw this intelligent gentleman. He took the time to put on gloves, use his hose to dump his tanks then disconnect his hose and put it away. He then took the dump station hose and shoved it up his sewer pipe and invests time opened the black and grey tanks to run water in them and let the water run back out all over the pavement. No rinsing the pavement, just threw the gloves in the trash, rinsed hands with plain water and away he went. I was too chicken to suggest a clear elbow with a flush port.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

I'll guarantee you that someone will come along and grab that dump hose bare handed.....

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM   #3

I used to go to the lake and watch people put their boats in the water. Always entertaining. Maybe the camp ground dump station would be just as much fun. Aside from the smell of course.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

First time out with our Rockwood Mini Lite I was dreading the dump station, expecting a long line and lots of observers to critique me on my technique. As it turns out there wasn't any line and I only threw up once!

I can see picking up one of those 45 degree elbows to help with making sure the black tank is actually clean; was planning on using one of the toilet wands my father-in-law had left in the garage.

Didn't know about putting some water in tank to prep for next time. Thanks for advice.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post
First time out with our Rockwood Mini Lite I was dreading the dump station, expecting a long line and lots of observers to critique me on my technique. As it turns out there wasn't any line and I only threw up once!

I can see picking up one of those 45 degree elbows to help with making sure the black tank is actually clean; was planning on using one of the toilet wands my father-in-law had left in the garage.

Didn't know about putting some water in tank to prep for next time. Thanks for advice.

Our first time out with our NTU HTT and we were in line at the dump station. 2 campers ahead of us so we decided to observe a bit and then decided to get out and talk with the 2 gents and tell them we were newbies to the dumping process and was watching their dumping techniques. Nice guys. We got some much deserved advice, and great tips for future use.

Beforehand, we knew we needed to purchase a 45 degree clear elbow, as this would really benefit us in the cleanout process. Worked perfectly!

We feel like old pros now at the dumping station. So far, so good... NO mishaps! But. I'm waiting!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC View Post

Check out the geo method for tank management. The clear elbow will only get you some help with flushing out. The wand is better but if there is a line it is too long of a process. We have a built in black tank flush and love it. To get the wand to your bathroom you may need to run it through a window. We used to lay a tarp down so as not to take the nasty hose and drag it over everything. Also make sure you use a separate hose for this. We keep a pocket hose in the trailer for this purpose.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ha! Someone actually threw up?? That's almost as funny as a YouTube video I was watching, many years ago, on flushing advice. The hosts were around 70 and very nice. The lady gets down next to the hose and says, in the sweetest voice, "Now you're going to wanna get some thick rubber gloves to wear cuz you're dealing with sh!t!"
I laughed for a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Check out the geo method for tank management.

We started using this system as well. Put a concoction in the black tank approx. 1 1/2 weeks ago. Along with 5 gallons of H2O.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to let it sit and soak, per say, in between now and our next outing. Not sure when the last time, or if ever, the tanks were cleaned good. So now's a good time to start.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Ha! Someone actually threw up?? That's almost as funny as a YouTube video I was watching, many years ago, on flushing advice. The hosts were around 70 and very nice. The lady gets down next to the hose and says, in the sweetest voice, "Now you're going to wanna get some thick rubber gloves to wear cuz you're dealing with sh!t!"
I laughed for a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yes Rick... I did throw up; but I was fully expecting to (very weak stomach; should have seen me when I gutted my first deer). Fortunately I had my son-in-law and my daughter's boyfriend along to help/laugh at me.

Might get used to it but somehow I kind of doubt it.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

I know the weak stomach.I used to help a buddy who had a septic tank installing business.I kept telling him It smells like s***.All he ever said was smelled like money to him
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Our #1 recommendation is pay the $30-40ish and get a Rhinoflex system. That solves 75% of the problems.

The ONE thing I will NEVER understand is watching amateur hour sewer 101...

1. Guy dumps his tanks - check
2. Guy unhooks his sewer hose - check
3. Guy proceeds to rinse his sewer hose with his DRINKING water hose by putting the hose INSIDE the sewer hose

I still throw up in my mouth a little every time I think of that! (Some things cannot be unseen!)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
Broken Toe

It's funny. On a boat forum I am on, we also call it "amateur weekend" It gets so bad/dangerous that I don't even put my boat in on Memorial day weekend anymore.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Check out the geo method for tank management. The clear elbow will only get you some help with flushing out. The wand is better but if there is a line it is too long of a process. We have a built in black tank flush and love it. To get the wand to your bathroom you may need to run it through a window. We used to lay a tarp down so as not to take the nasty hose and drag it over everything. Also make sure you use a separate hose for this. We keep a pocket hose in the trailer for this purpose.
On my old TT (now have a 5er) I cut into the cold water line under bathroom sink.....installed a "T" connector with a short piece of pipe and a shut off valve......on the very end I installed a "quick" hose connector......I had a short piece of water hose that I used specifically to rinse out the BW tank with wand attached.....No mess!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Wow, I think I will stay away from cutting my fresh water sys near black water, bit sure wish I had avtank wash. Too hard to get to and we e too hate dragging a hose in to wand the tank.
Instead, I lift the sewer hose up, ( with glove) above the black tank level and run water, full blast, in to the tank that way. 3 minutes full blast refills our little 30 gal black tank, then drain and repeat until clean.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #15

Before we had a built in turbo rinse system we used this:

Amazon.com: Camco 39062 Dual Flush Pro Holding Tank Rinser with Gate Valve: Automotive

Less than $25 and worked like a charm!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
On my old TT (now have a 5er) I cut into the cold water line under bathroom sink.....installed a "T" connector with a short piece of pipe and a shut off valve......on the very end I installed a "quick" hose connector......I had a short piece of water hose that I used specifically to rinse out the BW tank with wand attached.....No mess!!!!!!
I've done the same thing and it works great. even made a "holder" out of pvc pipe for the rinsing hose to go into so that there is no chance of any mess in the camper.

and for those worried about adding a t-fitting in the fresh water line so close to the black water tank....remember....your fresh water line connects directly to your toilet! Can't get any "closer" than that!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #17

Or... you can just buy and install the kit to your fresh water feed to your toilet. It's a snap to install!

Amazon.com: Sealand 385319054 Vacuum Breaker with Hand Spray: Sports & Outdoors
Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

For those that have the black tank flush, when/where do you hook up to it? At home? At the campground dump station? I ask because the campgrounds we camp at, the hose that is there usually has metal (non threaded) nozzle clamped to the hose. There is no way to attach it to the black tank flush. This is my first camper to have the black tank flush so I am curious. We will be camping with full hook-ups in a few weeks. (that is rare for us) I guess I could hook up to it then.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
For those that have the black tank flush, when/where do you hook up to it? At home? At the campground dump station? I ask because the campgrounds we camp at, the hose that is there usually has metal (non threaded) nozzle clamped to the hose. There is no way to attach it to the black tank flush. This is my first camper to have the black tank flush so I am curious. We will be camping with full hook-ups in a few weeks. (that is rare for us) I guess I could hook up to it then.
Howie,

We usually camp with full hookups, so my method will differ from yours.

I dump black, then gray, then my galley. I then start the black tank flush and run it until the water is clear (I have a 2" clear insert in my sewer hose).

Typically, because of water & associated air pressure, you MUST do a black tank flush with your black tank valve open and hose connected to the sewer.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

Thansk Bob. As I mentioned, it is rare for us to camp with full hook-ups. We are usually at state parks or National Forest campgrounds. Some will have water hook up, but none that we have stayed at had sewer. And as I said, the hose at the dump station can't be threaded on to the flush port.
Thanks for the reminder to have the black tank valve open for when I do get to use it!