Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

were to put golf cart?

We would like to purchase a golf cart to ride around in the campground. We have no way of hauling with the fifth wheel hitch. Do they make a system to mount on the back of the camper?
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Some states you can pull it on trailer behind camper.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't be as worried as much about the duble tow as I would the combined length law.
most states are around 65 feet and that pretty much takes care of most trucks and 5th wheel right there.
what state is in question ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I saw a few of these on the road. Every one I saw was in the bed of the pickup and they were towing a travel trailer not a 5th wheel.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

Like papap said, put it on a small trailer and hitch it to your fifth wheel. Either that or trade your fifth wheel in on a toyhauler.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Check out electric scooters. The ones that look kind of like a skateboard with a seat and handlebars. They fold up small and don't weigh much.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Most Corp of Eng. campgrounds will not allow golf carts. You have to have a handicap placard and the camp host will still give you grief. Yet every 10 minutes they come by in a golf cart... go figure. It has been my experience that they look the other way for the electric scooters mentioned above, and they are fun to ride.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Most Corp of Eng. campgrounds will not allow golf carts. You have to have a handicap placard and the camp host will still give you grief. Yet every 10 minutes they come by in a golf cart... go figure. It has been my experience that they look the other way for the electric scooters mentioned above, and they are fun to ride.
Papa is that your scooter pictured ? The pink goes with your wallet !
Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

No we have friends with a blue one. It is a blast to ride. It probably goes 10 MPH, but feels like 40 because you are so close to the road. It will probably go 20 miles on a charge.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

not one single camp ground we frequent allows "motorized" vehicles to operate within the camp ground .......... state or county
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #11

I had a 49cc honda scooter that did not require a tag to ride on the streets. The state and federal campgrounds would not allow any unregistered or untagged motor vehicles to be operated in their campgrounds. My scooter met all required standards so I registered and tagged it and rode it in the campgrounds all I wanted. I don't think the little scooter weighed much over 100lb and topped out at about 30mph. Seldom ever had to put gas in and I'm not sure it held a gallon. Fun, very easy to ride and had an automatic transmission. Campground hosts at a federal park tipped me off to this, they each had one.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
not one single camp ground we frequent allows "motorized" vehicles to operate within the camp ground .......... state or county
So much for the pink scooter idea.......................
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #13

Here is a link to RV towing rules/laws as stated most max out at 65' combined.
State Towing Laws for RVs

Also if I were to tow behind my TT I'd use one of these Swivelwheel two point setups,
SWIVELWHEEL-58

Looks a lot easier to tow with than a standard triple setup.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

I think our state is 75'. So if it's cool in my state, it must be cool in all the states I travel to. So I went about it and never had any trouble in the other states. Didn't even have a licence plate on the BBQ pit we were towing. But that's just me.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I think our state is 75'. So if it's cool in my state, it must be cool in all the states I travel to. So I went about it and never had any trouble in the other states. Didn't even have a licence plate on the BBQ pit we were towing. But that's just me.
Time to buy a lottery ticket...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Like papap said, put it on a small trailer and hitch it to your fifth wheel. Either that or trade your fifth wheel in on a toyhauler.

I concur. Thats exactly what toyhauler's were made for.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
So much for the pink scooter idea.......................
That's what I was thinking !
I had one picked out with a horn and everything !
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Cali Is 65 foot
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #19

Lots of them here in Louisiana let you ride the Golfcart. The make some carts that are street legal on road that are post 35mph and under.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #20

The subject of this post is a pet peeve of mine. I live in Georgia, so any info on this has been learned from Georgia's laws. NO Georgia State Park will allow the operation of golf carts, but there is one exception: You may operate a golf cart in a Georgia State Park with a valid handicapped sticker. BUT--you will be limited to access as dictated by the Head Park Ranger ( a DNR official). Privately held campgrounds have their own rules. Georgia State Parks also DO NOT allow an type of motorized device that is not registered as a "motorized vehicle". Georgia just (Jan. 01) changed the description of "golf cart" to "Personal Transportation Device". Each county of Ga. (159 of them) now have the option of issuing a decal or metal plate to register these "PTD's", but--Georgia does not have the computer software for the counties to do the registrations. I allowed myself to be arrested to challenge the "NO golf cart" rule in Georgia State Parks. I had/still have paperwork provided by the State of Georgia plainly stating "Any paved road within a Georgia State Park will be considered to be a Georgia Public Road". And further: "Golf carts shall be allowed to access any Georgia Public Road so long as the posted speed limit does not exceed to be Thirty-five miles per hour (35 MPH). No special equipment other than what comes on a golf cart is required under the OLD law. But--Georgia's Department of Natural Resources will not recognize these laws and issues to each State Park notices that golf carts are illegal. The bottom line is that the DNR officers will arrest you for "Disorderly Conduct". My case was thrown out by the judge after reading the printed info I had from the State of Georgia. The judge also notified the DNR officer that a written memo from the State DNR is not a law, just a memorandum. Georgia also uses the "Sixty-five foot" (65 ft.) rule for towing. Many times in my area you will see a pick-up truck towing a travel trailer, towing a boat.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote