Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2022, 07:05 PM   #1

what a day

well this Hurricane IAN created a real mess . I'm 5 miles from Sanibel island . roofs flying all over , Styrofoam insulation piled up 3' in front of my place . Had unit anchored down to concrete in 8 places and it's didn't move at all . water got up to the beginning of the j-panel and stopped raising thank GOD another 12" and it would have been up to the door .
stayed in RV through the whole thing . walked around every no and ten and no damage i could see . lots of banging from flying foam but lucky did not get hit with any of the 10 and 20' aluminum panels flying around . water is going down now . motorcycle got water over seat so it will be a mess cleaning up . truck got just a little water on floor . no carpet so pull rubber and dry our change all oils amd S/B ok . really happy with the 5th wheel and anchors performed great . tomorrow the clean up piles of debris everywhere . what a long ass day .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Congrats. That was a bad one from all reports. You did much better than lots of others……no doubt.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #3

Glad you made it through ok with minimal damage.
I can't imagine what that was like. You must have had wind noise for hours and watching the water rise couldn't have been fun.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:42 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Glad to hear you made it through the storm with minimal damage. You did the right thing to anchor down. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Red Coconut RV Park Fort Myers Beach

It was probably over a dozen years ago that we checked out Red Coconut RV Park on Estero Blvd on Fort Myers Beach.
In all likelihood……it’s completely gone now. You truly could NOT camp any closer to the water than the sites on the beach side of the road. It was in the 3000 block of Estero Blvd.

https://www.redcoconut.com/

One of our favourite locations to eat……Doc Ford’s. We even “liberated” a few bar glasses to bring home. I doubt it survived either.

https://www.docfords.com/ft-myers-beach/

I feel for so many that called the Gulf Coast their Snowbird destination and those that called it home.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:25 PM   #6

Up Date . After winds died down not long after posting this thread I heard an explosion Went out the door and saw the house acrss and down a few spots in flames . Fire Dept does not come out during hurricane even through it was past at this time . But flooded street and debris they said to bad so sad good luck . nothing i could really do but watch and get people up in places i knew some where staying . lost 4 units in no time and for some reason after burning those to the ground it quit spreading . all homes very close together Snowbird property . the Fire went from the first house caught the one down wind on fire . but then the fire went up wind and burned two more places and the one that was down wind that caught fire well it went out , living room area intact melted tv screen across the room sun room and main wall and smoke damage but it didn't burn to the ground like the other 3 . odd . Been a busy couple days and seems it will be for weeks to come cleaning up and repairing . Hope they get the electric back on soon but think that may take a couple weeks if we are lucky .
Old 09-30-2022, 11:27 PM   #7

PS got a very close look at rv and 0 damage roof perfect . pieces of fiberglass insulation stuck over it but that all a good wash and we be in business
Old 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

That's amazing that you had zero damage to the rv.

It's sad that your area lost houses, but with salt water intrusion, it's probably inevitable. Glad it stopped spreading because from what you've said and what we've seen on tv, even the fire departments had damage and roads are impassable.

Keep us posted. We're concerned about what's going to happen in the future. Stay safe.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #9

good to hear you are OK
Our plans were to go to Myakka area... glad we waited

Have you got access to fresh water?
the sooner you rinse off the bike the better...

concentrate on the wiring and connectors for a thorough rinse
Old 10-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #10

I assume you rolled in the awning?
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #11

How did the snowbird resorts come out?will they be up and running for the winter migration?
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
good to hear you are OK
Our plans were to go to Myakka area... glad we waited

Have you got access to fresh water?
the sooner you rinse off the bike the better...

concentrate on the wiring and connectors for a thorough rinse
Bike is toast , water in the inlet , all electronics soaked , It might look good on the outside but on the inside it's a rusting mess . wiring will never be any good , injectors , cylinders . they total it and give me half the value
Old 10-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That's amazing that you had zero damage to the rv.

It's sad that your area lost houses, but with salt water intrusion, it's probably inevitable. Glad it stopped spreading because from what you've said and what we've seen on tv, even the fire departments had damage and roads are impassable.

Keep us posted. We're concerned about what's going to happen in the future. Stay safe.

Not so much as a scratch , fiberglass insulation pieces all over one side washed them off . I will have to pull wheels and hubs grease the bearing and rust coat the drums check the brakes . ETC probably coat the frame also . may drop the underbelly as a precaution , was going to do that anyway to add stryofoam sheet insulation tie up wiring and things that were never done at the factory . Roof not so much as a pin hole .
Old 10-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I assume you rolled in the awning?
Hindsight i should have left them out dometic garbage barely roll up , took half a day before the storm to close .lol
Old 10-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
How did the snowbird resorts come out?will they be up and running for the winter migration?
The ones near me are gone . I'm at the corner of summerlin and san carlos roughly direct hit . gulf air 8' under water , Fort Myers beach rv resort still no water or electric pedestals knocked or washed over and if it wasn't for the people staying there they still could not get in or out . the guest cut up all the trees that fell cleaned up the roads so you can access . management has been missing in action. water still off at fmb becuse encore has sent no one it to repair the beaks in the risers same with gulf air .Same management .

Had the place i stay in up and running with water friday afternoon . fixed the broken risers and good to go . it's a resident owned property and we get it done .

other resorts further out will be fine
Old 10-04-2022, 09:18 PM   #16

Congrats on the RV making it through. How did you anchor it down to the concrete blocks?
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Congrats on the RV making it through. How did you anchor it down to the concrete blocks?
No blocks . my whole site is a concrete pad anchored with 1/2 wedge concrete anchors , 1/2 tie downs, 5/8 turnbuckles , direct to frame in 4 places then needed 5/8 chain with the turnbuckles also into the frame in 4 other locations .
Old 10-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #18

I've got lots of pictures and would love to post them but seem to have issues with getting them to upload . also internet sucks right now xfinity down using cell hotspot and it's slow as dial up
Old 10-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #19

You're very fortunate. FWs and Class As up here in Port Charlotte are laying on their sides; some are completely on their roofs or completely shredded. We didn't get a surge, only winds.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
You're very fortunate. FWs and Class As up here in Port Charlotte are laying on their sides; some are completely on their roofs or completely shredded. We didn't get a surge, only winds.
Yes very fortunate . the park behind me had 2 5th wheels laying over . others moved , Ebb and Tide rv park had them moved and flip all over the park .
The hurricane anchors did what they were supposed to and did it well . Glad I over built them and had more then just 4 which is what most do i had double that . Still cleaning up power washed everything today 5thwheel and concrete pad . still have not found a scratch or anything out of place on camper . I was blessed as i see all the destruction around me .