Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

What a great tool

Since the weather here is nasty and there isn't anywhere to really go right now I've been concentrating on some small "To Do's with my trailer. One of those tasks is to neaten up some of the wiring in various places.

Needed some "cable clips" so this AM I decided to "Print" some. A couple minutes searching online and I found a free 3-D print file (.stl) for just what I wanted. Downloaded, "sliced" and started printer. 1 hr and 58 minutes later I had a dozen clips for a $0.33 worth of material.

My Son is going to be unhappy he left HIS printer here at my house. Then again, I'm the one that does all the printing for his projects.

Here's a couple pics of the finished product.

These printers are definitely a game changer. No need to drive to Home Depot/Lowes/etc, search for a while, wait in line at checkout, gas expense, etc.

This printer is one of the more expensive DIY printers but printers suitable for cable clamps and other small projects are ~$200.

Couple that with 10's of thousand free files to print items like these clips, drawer latches/knobs, decorative items, etc., what's not to like.

BTW, checked the price of the same clip design and it's 3 X as much at Home Depot and only comes in one color.

I have 9 different colors on hand if I want one to match it's background.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

Thats neat however I have to wonder are there enough projects inside your rig to warrant the cost of a printer verses a trip to the store.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #3

Many years ago my brother-in-law and I were living in MA. We are both certified divers and both held a 10-pot lobster license which also allowed us to hand catch lobsters. We figured between all the dive gear & boat the lobsters were well north of $100 per pound. Sometimes the doing it yourself and fun factor has to figure into the total value.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #4

What brand of printer? You indicated approximately $200? That's hard to believe
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #5

TitanMike - Lucky you to have access to a 3D Printer. The technology is amazing.
As Wandermore said, sometimes its just fun to do it yourself
But there are also some things you can print that you just can't do otherwise. The 3D printing technology opens doors ..... and its fun.

My son works for a major company in the Aviation industry and managed their special Additive (3D Printing) Research Center. I had a chance to see their big 3D Laser Printers work that printed titanium parts.

They printed this part (see photos below) as a demo of what you can produce with 3D printing that you can not produce (from metal) in normal processes (Forging, machining). If I hold the center gear, I can freely spin the outer ring.

If you had all the parts used for this item ( 6- small gears, 1 large gear, and the outer ring) you could not assemble it.
-Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinion2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	247913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinion1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	247914  
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
What brand of printer? You indicated approximately $200? That's hard to believe
Here's a real popular printer among he scale model builders. Sells for $239 right now but others are available for $199

https://smile.amazon.com/Comgrow-Cre...s%2C249&sr=8-3

The one my Son purchased and I'm using is this one. Sells for $1k assembled and tested but available in kit form for only $750. He purchased the kit and had me assemble it. Not hard and the instructions are superb. They even provide all the necessary tools.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...9iz1iy56SBLi9E

As for being "cost effective", perhaps debatable. Certainly is more fun than a trip to the store and I've found I can actually create parts or accessories that might not even be available in a store.

The manufacturer of the 3-D printer we have actually posts the .STL files on their website for most of the common parts that might break. Even upgraded parts so you can upgrade at minimal expense when they make improvements. Download the files, print the parts, then upgrade. Only cost, other than metal/electronic items, is the cost of the filament you use.

As for "enough projects", strangely I seem to be finding a new one every day. A corner "organizer" for hand soap dispenser and tooth brush/tooth paste for my bathroom (less then $1 in material), a storage "cubby" to fit in a wasted space just under my sink (about $2.50), and yesterday I printed a Gauge Pod to hold a transmission temp gauge that's exactly what I wanted and couldn't find online anywhere. Cost? About a buck.

If I didn't have use of the more expensive printer I probably would have purchased the less expensive unit now that I know how useful it is.

In a way, it is like having a lot of machines found in a workshop all in one that sits on a counter and works unattended.

Did I mention the "Fun Factor".

I'm not selling them, just sharing my experience.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #7

I saw a report the other day about a company 3D printing houses which are for sale. Unit builds many of the home walls out of concrete laid down in thin layers. Then they use standard methods to finish and put a roof on.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUKKBN2AG2CA
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 3 D printer. The hobby I'm in is a great place to have one of theses but I'm not that talented anymore to figure out how to use. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Here's a real popular printer among he scale model builders. Sells for $239 right now but others are available for $199

https://smile.amazon.com/Comgrow-Cre...s%2C249&sr=8-3

The one my Son purchased and I'm using is this one. Sells for $1k assembled and tested but available in kit form for only $750. He purchased the kit and had me assemble it. Not hard and the instructions are superb. They even provide all the necessary tools.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...9iz1iy56SBLi9E

As for being "cost effective", perhaps debatable. Certainly is more fun than a trip to the store and I've found I can actually create parts or accessories that might not even be available in a store.

The manufacturer of the 3-D printer we have actually posts the .STL files on their website for most of the common parts that might break. Even upgraded parts so you can upgrade at minimal expense when they make improvements. Download the files, print the parts, then upgrade. Only cost, other than metal/electronic items, is the cost of the filament you use.

As for "enough projects", strangely I seem to be finding a new one every day. A corner "organizer" for hand soap dispenser and tooth brush/tooth paste for my bathroom (less then $1 in material), a storage "cubby" to fit in a wasted space just under my sink (about $2.50), and yesterday I printed a Gauge Pod to hold a transmission temp gauge that's exactly what I wanted and couldn't find online anywhere. Cost? About a buck.

If I didn't have use of the more expensive printer I probably would have purchased the less expensive unit now that I know how useful it is.

In a way, it is like having a lot of machines found in a workshop all in one that sits on a counter and works unattended.

Did I mention the "Fun Factor".

I'm not selling them, just sharing my experience.
Thanks, incredible price. I've been running commercial 3D printers for over 10 years. Retiring shortly may have to look into this. I'll miss not being able to do g-jobs anymore
Old 02-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #10

I want one that prints with aluminum and other metals. Got enough broken plastic stuff.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I want one that prints with aluminum and other metals. Got enough broken plastic stuff.
These do not fall in the category of <$1000. My company is working on additive manufacturing for carbide. It's pretty cool. Not quite ready for operations, but the lab guys are having fun.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #12

What I've learned from this thread is I'll have to have a talk with #1 son (actually only son) about him buying one of these printers so I can borrow it. I figure he owes me for his teenage years.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
What I find interesting is that when I was a kid, things like gears, pulleys, etc, all started out as a big chunk of metal. Lots of machining necessary to remove anything that didn't look like a gear (for example). It was then heat treated, case hardened, or whatever was necessary.

When I was in high school some gears started out as powdered metal that was merely pressed at high pressure into a mold and then finish ground.

It will be interesting to see what role 3-D printers play in making those same parts as the technology evolves.

I know that you can print with some pretty strong materials like Carbon Fiber, Metal filled filament, and even wood. I've printed replacement gears for Garage Door Openers out of Nylon and it's amazing how much they look like the factory produced items.

Technology is moving faster and faster than ever before.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #14

SLM printers are quite pricy, way beyond individual ownership unless your last name is Bezos or Gates
Old 02-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What I find interesting is that when I was a kid, things like gears, pulleys, etc, all started out as a big chunk of metal. Lots of machining necessary to remove anything that didn't look like a gear (for example). It was then heat treated, case hardened, or whatever was necessary.

When I was in high school some gears started out as powdered metal that was merely pressed at high pressure into a mold and then finish ground.

It will be interesting to see what role 3-D printers play in making those same parts as the technology evolves.

I know that you can print with some pretty strong materials like Carbon Fiber, Metal filled filament, and even wood. I've printed replacement gears for Garage Door Openers out of Nylon and it's amazing how much they look like the factory produced items.

Technology is moving faster and faster than ever before.
I did a stint in healthcare in supply chain. I was tasked with analyzing the pricing for our hip and knee replacements. We had 13 hospitals in our corporation so we had just enough volume to be able to negotiate with the different manufacturers. I also spent many years in manufacturing so I was tasked with visiting the different manufacturers and observing their operations to estimate what reasonable manufacturing costs would be. Every tour had the part where they showcased their new tech. The coolest thing I saw was for hip or knee revisions. This is where you need a joint replaced a second time or you have major bone damage due to cancer. Using the hip as an example, the pelvis is not shaped normally in the area of the hip socket.

They take a high res 3D scan of the area and make a model of what the patient has. The surgeon then uses a stylus to virtually remove bone like he would in the OR. This updated model is then used to design a custom implant. The custom implant is then printed. A printed implant is superior to a machined or cast implant because the manufacturer can create geometries that allow the bone to grow into and fuse with the implant that machining or casting cannot.

As I get older I am more and more impressed with the predictions Star Trek made.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I did a stint in healthcare in supply chain. I was tasked with analyzing the pricing for our hip and knee replacements. We had 13 hospitals in our corporation so we had just enough volume to be able to negotiate with the different manufacturers. I also spent many years in manufacturing so I was tasked with visiting the different manufacturers and observing their operations to estimate what reasonable manufacturing costs would be. Every tour had the part where they showcased their new tech. The coolest thing I saw was for hip or knee revisions. This is where you need a joint replaced a second time or you have major bone damage due to cancer. Using the hip as an example, the pelvis is not shaped normally in the area of the hip socket.

They take a high res 3D scan of the area and make a model of what the patient has. The surgeon then uses a stylus to virtually remove bone like he would in the OR. This updated model is then used to design a custom implant. The custom implant is then printed. A printed implant is superior to a machined or cast implant because the manufacturer can create geometries that allow the bone to grow into and fuse with the implant that machining or casting cannot.

As I get older I am more and more impressed with the predictions Star Trek made.
Now if only they could print a Brain (preferably a working one). There are some out there that could surely use one. Sorry, I couldn't help myself

Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #17

The line would be full of politicians.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
The line would be full of politicians.

The politicians would be putting taxes on them and adding a boat load of regulations on who was eligible to get the upgrade. Probably precluding those who need them from getting one. BTW, I agree most politicians should be first in line!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #19

What are you using for filament for durability? I lucked into a great deal right before the holidays and purchased a mid-level one for each of my sons. I think I can get some camper parts from them in exchange for a new roll.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #20

I suppose one advantage with these printers is that one could make thicker plastic parts than they normally sell like the wire clamps that Mike was making. If it’s a gear or some part that needs to fit into a specific location then about all one could do is to use a higher strength material if available.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote