Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #21

Let them install a Fantastic Fan as part of the purchase deal. I've done everything else myself. They will not only charge a huge labor rate, but over charge for the item itself. As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of dealers. These pages are full of accessory information, and installation information. Do it yourself so you know you're getting quality.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #22

Cellular booster
Old 10-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #23

Not dealer installed, but I wish we'd kept electric stabilizers on the option list from the factory. We were dissuaded by the dealer. I no longer recall his logic but it seemed sensible at the time. In retrospect, in comparison to the cost if I were to install them now, the factory install cost is a steal.

On Mini-Lites, I'm under the impression that electric stabilizers and the standard accessory are mutually exclusive. If true, that might make it a non-starter for some.

An additional factory-installed Fantastic/MaxxAir fan might have been nice but I wouldn't pay dealer rates for one.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
... "any trailer that did not come from the factory with a ladder does not have a full walk on roof". ...
That will vary by brand. All Rockwoods have the same walkable roof. All now come with a ladder from the factory but the roof hasn't changed.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #25

Ladders and racks turn into pools with winter covers installed. Plus its more holes to leak.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
I've got the slide toppers being installed by the manufacturer.

X2 - a LOT better price....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #27

1. MaxxAir covers or equivalent...I installed myself in about 10 minutes.
2. Slide toppers should have been on top.
3. Water filter, but you can install that yourself if you are the least bit handy.
4. TPMS - we had blowouts on our TT when the tires were 3 years old!
5. KingJack antenna (we did it ourself, also in about 30 minutes).
6. If it's a TT, an electric tongue jack is worth it's weight in gold, according to my hubby.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #28

Another thing I installed was tilt TV brackets on the bedroom and OS Kitchen TVs. Way to much glare with flat install against wall doors before adding tilting brackets. It took a lot of time to get these a correct fit, but worth it.

On my Forester 2861DS, I had to rebuild the cabinet below below the stove because it was held together by only two short screws that gave way.

Discarded the noisy bath fan and replaced with a large computer fan that you can hardly hear. Fan about $19.00. Fan also contains 4 blue LED lights which makes a nice night light.

Bought some vinyl shower pan material that I put in the back bumper that will protect the sewer hose from rust wear when moving in and out.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #29

Without a doubt, that 2nd AC.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
It isn’t true that if there is no ladder the roof isn’t walkable. My last tt had no ladder, but the roof was walkable. My current tt has an optionally factory installed ladder, and there is no way it has a different roof than the same model without the optional ladder.
The model Solaire Trailer I had used that terminology exactly in the warranty paperwork. I am only saying that if the trailer does not have a ladder, they should check the warranty paperwork before installing a ladder and expect to be able to fully walk on the roof.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I wouldn’t let a dealer install anything on my RV. But, I spent a few months installing many modifications and design improvements myself, things like dinette table top extension, step to make it easier to get in the bed, hinged door covering a slot cut in the bed base to able to view fresh water tank level, EMS, shelves in cabinets, 2 gallon accumulator tank, dimmer switches on all lights, travel lockdown bolt for sliding bathroom door, sound system subwoofer, roof vent covers, etc.

If you could would you share the name and type of dimmer switch you used.
My ceiling lights are all 5 on with the flip of a switch.
Behind the switch are three wires.

White, Black, and I think blue.
The switch has a blue light on it that I could care less about.
When I attempted to put a dimmer on, I could not get it to dim the lights
at all.

I dont know if it was the switches, I tried two, or that I just dont know how to wire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we do not need to light up the landing strip each night, we only need mood lighting if you catch my drift.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
If you could would you share the name and type of dimmer switch you used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we do not need to light up the landing strip each night, we only need mood lighting if you catch my drift.

There are many dimmer options available. Rather than take this thread off on a tangent, I suggest using the forum search box for “light dimmer”, and you can read about them all day.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #33

Enjoy ... evaluate ... then upgrade.

What I would recommend is to initially not let the dealer install anything extra. Take a couple trips and get an idea of what you feel you need. By that time, you will also notice things you want repaired under warranty. You will then be able to evaluate how good your dealer is.
As it stands right now, I wouldn't let my dealer install ANYTHING. I took my Cedar Creek 341K back to the dealer with a list of five or six items. There was not a single item that was repaired properly and in a couple instances they made things worse. I ended up taking my RV back to a company that does a lot of the factory warranty work and they repaired everything plus identified several things I had not noticed.
An additional point you might want to consider is there are companies that specialize in certain types of upgrades, like adding solar panels. Another consideration is when you are looking at products, you might see something you really like the design of at a campsite as you talk to you fellow campers ... but your dealer doesn't offer that brand. And lastly you might find that an item you want is available at a better price from someone with a good reputation.
So bottom line is give yourself some time.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #34

Water filter

I wouldn’t have the dealer install a water filter. Just buy a household filter available at any home improvement store and attach it when you fill your water tank or campground water supply
DanOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #35

Our 19' toy hauler came without a vent in the roof over the "living room" area so we had the dealer put in a vent and a fantastic fan. They did a great job and charged a fair price. Unfortunately less than a year after we bought the trailer the dealer went out of business. I'm thinking the Corona virus got them.
SgtAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #36

I didn't see spare tire listed... frequently an option.
Go over the suggestions above, see what you want, and what you can install yourself.
My trailer has a walk-on roof, no ladder. I contacted the manu and was told no ladder should be put on my trailer.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #37

A different mattress and 2nd AC unit.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #38

Electric tongue jack.
Mountaineer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #39

Laser leveling system with pneumatic jacks
Tom1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #40

Fantastic Fan in Bathroom..... but I didn't get the one I wanted claimed you can only have exhaust only fan allowed in a bathroom and with that I also didn't get the remote.... so I usually have to turn it on for the wife. .... that was half the reason for getting the one with remote. Still love that fan over the stupid little squirrel fan that it normally came with
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer